Do you think this is a fair table rent?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Some of you know me and know I work from home, but lately things have been a bit quiet. I saw an ad in the window of a hairdressers in town asking for an experienced Nail Tech, so I popped in and had a chat with the owner.

Cut a long story short, I'll be there two days from open to close Fri and Sat, no existing nail clients but people have been asking. We agreed I would have 55% and the salon 45% I provide my own products, she provides furniture, reception duties for me, refreshments for my clients and advertising.

Now, I'm currently in the middle of devising a short and simple contract for us both as she never mentioned it and I'm blowed if I'm going in without something, but if it goes well, one of the terms I've stipulated is that the commission structure will be in place until such time as £80 fee payable by me to her is reached or surpassed, at which point it will switch to a flat rate rent of £80 per week.

Does this seem fair to you? Neither of us has ever done this before so not sure, but I've been reading through some of the old threads and it seems about right for my area (south Hampshire).

I'll post all the contract stuff here when I'm on my laptop if anyone wants to take a look :) xxx

Last edited:
  • [FONT=&quot]Sarah Cassidy of Beauty Fusions shall provide XXXX Hair Salon with Professional Nail Technician services.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sarah Cassidy of Beauty Fusions shall provide Professional Nail Technician services to a private consumer within XXXX Hair Salon[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sarah Cassidy and XXXX Hair Salon shall initially work on a commission basis of 55% - 45% in the favour of Sarah Cassidy until the commission reaches or exceeds £80 per week. Once the commission reaches or exceeds £80 per week, Sarah Cassidy shall provide Nail Technician services for a flat rental fee of £80 per week.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Both parties agree to a three month trial period whereby either party may terminate the contract without notice or prejudice. Once three months has passed, both parties require one months’ written notice of termination.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sarah Cassidy to provide own products to work with.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]XXXX Hair Salon to provide furniture.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sarah Cassidy to work within the published hours of XXXX Hair Salon unless otherwise agreed (initially Friday’s and Saturday’s).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]XXXX Hair Salon to provide reception duties, advertising and refreshments to clients.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sarah Cassidy to handle all Beauty Fusion payments. Initially, until a card machine is acquired by Sarah Cassidy, if nail clients wish to pay by card, XXXX Hair Salon to take nail clients payment and Sarah Cassidy to invoice XXXX Hair Salon at the end of the working week (Saturday) and XXXX to directly pay Sarah Cassidy the due amount (less merchant charges). Otherwise, all payments to be made by nail clients to Sarah Cassidy in cash.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Should the agreement be terminated by Sarah Cassidy, then Sarah Cassidy has no legal right to actively persuade nail clients to leave.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sarah Cassidy is required to keep the Nail Station area clean and tidy.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sarah Cassidy reserves the right to wear any appropriate clothing providing a professional and tidy appearance is maintained.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]XXXX Hair Salon will not intervene in the running of Beauty Fusions business affairs and vice versa.[/FONT]
What do you think guys? Any thoughts appreciated :D

xx

Anyone? :/ xx

Hi I am leasing nail bars I charge £20 per day for first 3 months the £23 per day for the nail tech to supply own products. For this they get nail bar in salon, electricity, gas, water, use of pedicure seat etc. I take no cut of their profit.

Do you need to include something about insurance responsibility? Also, what is the agreement for when you are on holiday or off sick? Will you take your products home with you each day or will there be a secure place to store them?
Good luck; I'm sure you'll enjoy the buzz of a salon.

I think that split is too high in the salon owners favour. I own a salon and at the moment its 70/30 in my nail techs favour.

You are supplying your own products as is my NT. I provide the nail station, bookings, power supply, water, access to treatment room is required,reception,refreshments etc.

Agree the % seems too high, the most you should be giving her is 40% if you're supplying product. Also, £80 a week seems high as you're only there 2 days, working on 45% you'd have to take £177 over the two days before the rent turns to flat rate which is do-able as I used to take @£100 a day when I rented but that means your not left with much for yourself after rent is paid for those two days(under £100) which by the time you pay for product and merchant fees it's less than minimum wage. Do you think you could take much more money than this over two days to warrant £80 on rent?
Also, make sure your contract is watertight. I used to rent and had reception etc included but got stung because the owner in return wanted me to book people in for her when she wasn't there (which was quite often) and I ended up meeting and greeting her clients and my own during times when the receptionist was sick or couldn't work (also quite often). Wish now I'd kept everything completely separate as she was technically my landlord not my boss (make sure the contract states you're self employed too, as she also expected me to come in on days/hours I didn't want to work and it should be your own choice when self employed).
Hopefully your experience won't be like mine as I'm sure there are many great salon owners out there. I'd just start a bit lower with the rent if I were you because it's only going to increase every year!

I also think the split is too high, it should be 60% for you and 40% for the salon max. I think if £40 a day seems about right for your area then thats fine but you will also need to price your treatments accordingly. Good luck, exciting stuff! :) x

Thank you for all of your input on this, its greatly appreciated :)

I did think the % split was a bit high, so as I'm seeing her tomorrow I think I'll mention that I've been researching the area and 70/30 split is the norm and go from there.

I'll let you know how I get on :) xx

Hi guys,

I went to the salon and did a set of nails on the manager (which she loved of course! :D) and explained to her as the salon owner wasn't in, that I had been researching rates and 60/40 was a more reasonable commission as I would not only be providing my own products, but I will have extras such as card terminal charges which I do not have now.

She agreed and is putting it to the owner tomorrow when she sees her, but as it stands I start after all these bank holidays at the beginning of May :D

I think I'm going to really enjoy working there, they all seem like a really nice bunch and as they don't do beauty, I can advertise this to the hair & nail clients and not tread on anyone's toes!

Also, the girls will have nails, tanning and waxing as well, so I think it will be a good business move :D

Thanks for all of your input xxx

Just thought I'd update.

I called the salon today as I'd not heard anything, only to be told (long story short) that all the managers nails I had done had started lifting the same afternoon I had done them and then they 'fell off'. I told her this had never happened to me in 3 years of doing acrylics, not even when I was training, but offered to look at them and put them right.

The manager (who I spoke to) said she would speak to the owner and they would go from there.

Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath for a phonecall, but tbh, I'm not that bothered because as she stumbled over me seeing her nails, I think it was more the fact I had upped the percentage split and she wasn't happy, but rather than tell me, she made up some story.

Xx

hmmm i think that is quite alot, yeah i understand it depends were you are based but i only pay£85 a week for my full shop and its 2 big treatment rooms, and really big reception nail room all done out for me to me spec. i used to work in a hair salon renting a room and paid £50 a week. I would hate to have to pay a commission i feel its better to just pay a set amount. when i was in the salon i would make average of £400 a week that means i would have been paying a hell of a lot of rent when all i had to pay was £50 that inc my telephone to.

Latest posts

Back