Does acrylic sting as it is drying?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdmb212

Reaction score
My question is: awhile back I had sculpted acrylics done at a local nail bar. Since it had been AGES (and I mean ages) since I had had them done I couldn't remember if it was supposed to sting on the fingertips. The tech explained to me that, as the acrylic dries, it contracts pulling at the nail plate. Is this correct? Thank you in advance for your advice :)

it is true that it shrinks as it cures.

however this is normally only felt if the mix ratio was incorrect. a stinging sensation is not normal.

it is true that it shrinks as it cures.

however this is normally only felt if the mix ratio was incorrect. a stinging sensation is not normal.

Ok, I was just a little worried about the whole MMA thing. I don't think it was that at all, I just wanted to give myself some peace of mind :) Thank you

New nails can be a little uncomfortable due to shrinkage, but never sting.

I would attribute "stinging" to flooding the nails, nail folds with primer (which is an acid) often running under the hyponychium, often causing nail separation too.

Many blame disease for nail separation on clients with acrylics...... my theory is over priming, eating away at the delicate tissue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back