Does anyone have coeliac disease?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani04

Reaction score
Just found out I have ceoliac disease. I was just wondering if anyone on here has it or knows anyone who does. Just looking for some advice on how to deal with it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

My mum has it, to the extent she has to carry an epi-pen at all times incase she unknowingly eats gluten and goes into anthelactic (cant spell sorry!) shock. What is it you were wanting to know? Xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

One of my good freinds has it. I have information to share with you if you let me know what you need. :hug:

Going gluten free is alot easier today than it was even just a few years ago.

So sorry to here about ur mum that is so scary :-(

I just dont know where to begin.

What can I have for breakfast
What will I eat for dinner tonight

I am use to eatting a lot of gluten on a day to day basis (why i have been so ill all the time) its the last thing I thought i would have an intolerance for.

Heres an example of what i eat just now
I have a bowl of cerial in the morning
Sandwhich for lunch
Pizza and chips for dinner

All gluten obviously that isnt what i eat everyday but its the main part of my diet. Was just hoping for some ideas of examples of meals

So sorry to here about ur mum that is so scary :-(

I just dont know where to begin.

What can I have for breakfast
What will I eat for dinner tonight

I am use to eatting a lot of gluten on a day to day basis (why i have been so ill all the time) its the last thing I thought i would have an intolerance for.

Heres an example of what i eat just now
I have a bowl of cerial in the morning
Sandwhich for lunch
Pizza and chips for dinner

All gluten obviously that isnt what i eat everyday but its the main part of my diet. Was just hoping for some ideas of examples of meals

So sorry to hear this. I've not got coeliac disease but am severely allergic to wheat, dairy, cocoa (no chocolate for me :( and some other stuff. When I was first diagnosed I was so daunted and just thought I may as well live on rice and water lol but you do adapt and find things. I have for breakfast either a gluten free tea cake (warburtons do nice gluten free range now in tescos) or porridge with soya milk but I'm guessing you may not be able to have porridge so what about a boiled/scrambled or poached egg on gluten free bread? If I eat lunch (which is rare) I might have gluten free crispbreads with marmite or ham and packet of ready salted crisps (most flavoured crisps have wheat in them so be careful). Dinner I can have meat or fish with potatoes or chips (again be careful as some oven chips have a batter coating) and veg. I can very rarely have a dessert but tescos now do a nice free from creme caramel. It is really daunting to begin with but you will muddle through and the health benefits will make it all worthwhile. Just be prepared to spend ages in the supermarket reading ingredients! When I go with the kids if we find something I can eat we're usually jumping up and down like we've won the lottery haha.

I find tescos has the best free from range although waitrose aren't bad and the website simply free is quite good too.

Just be prepared for the hike in price - it costs me £2.90 for my warburtons free from tea cakes cough splutter!!!

Good luck and just focus on how much better you're going to feel xxxx

After a diet of Imodium for many years (!) They found I was gluten intolerant.

First, join the Coeliac Society; they are very helpful.

Secondly, as a rule of thumb you will need to exclude all wheat, rye, barley and possibly oat products. (Some coeliacs can tolerate oats)

Looking at the day's menu you gave you could have gluten -free cereal for breakfast, sandwich made with gluten-free bread (Genius doesn't crumble like the others) and a gluten-free pizza base you have topped yourself.

You DO have to look at the ingredients on everything that you buy. Even some spreads, mayos, sweets and so and so on may contain gluten. At first it is a real pain, but eventually it becomes much easier. I shop at Tesco, and their own brands are marked at a glance on the allergy info.

I also only drink wine or brandy (Eek! I mean if I'm having an alcoholic drink! :lol:) I've heard conflicting views on some other spirits, but beer is def out.

Restaurants these days are SO much better than they used to be. I usually phone ahead to check.

Good luck with your health; I think it's a blessing that you've been diagnosed, you will feel so much better. Please let me know if I can help anytime. x

My mum has it, to the extent she has to carry an epi-pen at all times incase she unknowingly eats gluten and goes into anthelactic (cant spell sorry!) shock. What is it you were wanting to know? Xx

Gosh, I didn't realise some coelics needed epi-pens. Does she maybe have a severe wheat allergy, as opposed to Coeliac? Just asking, as I'm honestly interested.

You will be absolutely fine! My husband was diagnosed with coeliac disease a few years ago, and at first we were like you, worried about what he will be able to eat, but it's not as hard as you think.

Firstly, join the coeliac society. If you are newly diagnosed your first years membership is free, after that its £10 a year, so completely affordable. They will send you a little direcctory of branded foods that are gluten free, and its really helpful, for example if you're thinking "I want some gluten free gravy granules" you can look in your book and find a brand. Eventually you will have a detailed knowledge of what you can and cant have but the directory is really helpful for newly diagnosed people.

Bread. This is the biggest bugbear for coeliac people. Gluten free bread is not the same as normal bread and its really expensive!! Dont worry though because you will get used to it. Some gluten free bread is shocking, though soe of its quite decent. If you have coeliac disease you can get your bread on prescription and its way cheaper than buying it in the supermarket (get a pre paid prescription, its about £100 for a year). Stick to the "fresh" bread varieties, my husband gets the glutafin fresh white sliced loaf, you get about a dozen loafs at a time so you have to freeze it, but its nice. Juvela is another good one. Sometimes gf bread can go a bit soggy with a filling so toast it first and its absolutely fine. You can also get GF pizza bases on prescription too, and depending how generous your local health authority are some let you have digestives and rich tea biscuits too. Ask your doctor for a list of what you can have on prescription, there's allsorts.

Most meals can be made gluten free. Gluten free pasta is no different to normal pasta (as long as you dont buy the corn/rice pasta varieties), you can use cornflour to thicken your sauces etc, gluten free flour is great for making things like yorkshire puddings, pancakes, cakes, pastry (though I find it easier to buy ready made gf pastry mixes that you just add water/butter to). There is nothing that my husband "cannot have" because of his coeliac problem in terms of home made food - its just a case of getting used to cooking your own foods, convenience foods tend to contain gluten.

Supermarkets - they all have a gluten free section, some are better than others. Morrisons is pretty dire, just a few packets of biscuits and some bread. Tesco's is a bit better, asda is a bit better again, but by far the best is sainsburys. They have a really good gf section. You will never be short of biscuits or cakes, they are in plentiful supply! You can get croissants, crumpets, pastry mixes, sauces (heinz tomato ketchup is GF but there isnt a brown sauce thats gf, but sainsburys sell a gf one), I would suggest you go along and have a nosey at exactly what you can have, you will be pleasantly surprised!

Breakfast cereal - not so good I'm afraid. The majority contain gluten. You can have rice krispies, coco pops, some own brand cornflakes, some own brand "frosties", and there are some gf cereals but they tend to be a bit crap. You can have gf porridge oats but not the regular variety so watch out for that, many coeliacs assume they can have oats but its not the case. What you can have depends how sensitive you are to barley malt extract. Coeliacs cant have the gluten from wheat, barley or rye. Barley malt extract is from barley but isnt the gluten, most coeliacs can tolerate it but some more sensitive people cant. Its a case of trial and error with that, but you will find that all cereals contain it, except for the specially made gf ones. For breakfast try other things - toast (gf of course), omlettes, yogurt & fruit, you can even have a full english! (with gf sausages)

Eating out - not so much of a problem, lots of restaurants say on the menu which dishes are gluten free, if you live near me pm me and I can tell you which restaurants round here are good. Some dishes are naturally gluten free, for example you cant go wrong with a steak and chips, just check that nothing has been added to the steak or the chips. Indian is great because they tend to use gram flour which is made from chick peas which you can have. You cant have chappati's or naan bread, but you will probably find you can have most other things. Poppadoms, pakoras, bhaji's etc you will probably find you can have, but always ckeck with the kitchen staff if there's any doubt. The one thing that my husband cant have any more that he misses is take out food like mcdonalds and KFC, it's all bread based so there's not much you can do about that. KFC is a no go, you can have the mcdonalds big breakfast as long as you order it with no muffin and an extra hash brown, so if you're desperate for mcdonalds you could have a breakfast! Domino's do a gluten free pizza base, just make sure the topping you choose is gluten free, but their website is clearly labelled with what you can and cant have. Pizza hut do a gluten free base too but only for eating in, not for take out. Nando's is good, you cant have the spicy fries, or any of the bread or pitta (obviously!) but everything else is fine, the marinades and sauces are all gluten free. Chinese takeaway tends to contain soy sauce which contains gluten, but Japanese soy sauce, its called tamari, IS gluten free!! So, you can make your own at home, and if you have a japanese restaurant near you, you should be able to eat there. There's a great japanese restaurant near me if you want details.

The last thing for me to mention is cross contamination. Its where the majority of "poisonings" occur. You can do everything in your power to make a meal gluten free, but if it comes into contact with something containing gluten you might as well not have bothered. Just a tiny trace of gluten is just as bad as a massive amount and has the same effect on you. If I made a sandwich for my kids, then made a gf one for my husband without washing my hands after handling the normal bread, he would get ill from the traces of gluten that have transferred from my hands to his bread. Be extra careful when preparing food to keep gluten and gluten free food separate. Its not an issue if you live alone but if you have a partner/family be careful. Make sure you have a separate toaster thats only for gf bread, have a separate butter/jam etc because when the knife goes back in, people leave breadcrumbs behind. When you eat out make it clear to the kitchen staff that there must be no cross contamination: they should prepare your food in a separate area with clean hands.

I cant think of anything else for now but I'll let you know if I think of anything!

here's a wee recipe that was in a sunday mag last week from James Morton ( Great British Bake Off finalist) for gluten free brownies, yum!

ingredients
250g dark chocolate
250g salted butter
3 medium eggs plus an extra yolk
300g sugar
75g Dove self raising gluten free flour
60g cocoa powder
pinch of salt
filling of choice eg raspberries or nuts

pre heat oven to 160c or gas mark 3 and line an 8 inch square cake tin
slowly melt choc and butter together in a bowl
in a separate bowl ,whisk eggs and sugar together for around 1 minute until noticeably lighter in colour
sift flour and cocoa and salt together
quickly whisk the choc mix into the egg mix before gently folding in the sifted flour,cocoa and salt(add any filling if required at this point)
pour into tin and bake for 35-45 minutes
cool completely before cutting
sorry to hear of your diagnosis, i must be incredibly daunting to have to rethink your eating habits completely but as previous posters have said, its much easier now to have a gluten free diet xxx

Great advice 'Chelle!

I would point out though that chips, when you're out, are often fried in fryers that have had gluten foods in them.

Great advice 'Chelle!

I would point out though that chips, when you're out, are often fried in fryers that have had gluten foods in them.

Oops yes of course! Always be careful of cross Contamination, deep fat fryers included. Also check that chips are home made and not the frozen variety because some brands of frozen chips are coated in flour to make them extra crispy. The golden rule is check the ingredients on everything before you eat it, even if its something you've had before because often ingredients will change, or more commonly products will start to appear with "produced on a line that also handles wheatflour" as more companies are changing their production lines to save money.

Another couple of things I thought of: fish and chips. Fish batter contains gluten. Near us we have a couple of fish shops that do gf batter so ask around. Do check though that they fry gf fish in the chip fryer not the fish one to avoid cross contamination

Alcohol - how could I forget! Basically you're fine. You can't have regular lagers or beers but you can buy gf varieties, they have them on the gf section at most supermarkets but the best ones you can buy online and they're lovely, pm me if you want details. Pretty much everything else is fine - cider, wine, spirits (even spirits made from grains ie whisky are ok because they're distilled so don't contain gluten though I've heard stories of some sensitive coeliacs not tolerating them so see how you go). Just be careful to check your soft drinks, some contain gluten because they contain barley especially the cloudy ones like cloudy lemonade.

Oops yes of course! Always be careful of cross Contamination, deep fat fryers included. Also check that chips are home made and not the frozen variety because some brands of frozen chips are coated in flour to make them extra crispy. The golden rule is check the ingredients on everything before you eat it, even if its something you've had before because often ingredients will change, or more commonly products will start to appear with "produced on a line that also handles wheatflour" as more companies are changing their production lines to save money.

Another couple of things I thought of: fish and chips. Fish batter contains gluten. Near us we have a couple of fish shops that do gf batter so ask around. Do check though that they fry gf fish in the chip fryer not the fish one to avoid cross contamination

Alcohol - how could I forget! Basically you're fine. You can't have regular lagers or beers but you can buy gf varieties, they have them on the gf section at most supermarkets but the best ones you can buy online and they're lovely, pm me if you want details. Pretty much everything else is fine - cider, wine, spirits (even spirits made from grains ie whisky are ok because they're distilled so don't contain gluten though I've heard stories of some sensitive coeliacs not tolerating them so see how you go). Just be careful to check your soft drinks, some contain gluten because they contain barley especially the cloudy ones like cloudy lemonade.

Blimey you're really lucky with your restaurants near you! I haven't had fish and chips for over 3 years! When I eat out I just stick with plain steak and chips or go to a Toby carvery but have to take my own gluten free gravy with me! Toby used to do a gluten free sponge pudding for dessert but have stopped doing it so I don't even get a pudding now either :( x

Gosh, I didn't realise some coelics needed epi-pens. Does she maybe have a severe wheat allergy, as opposed to Coeliac? Just asking, as I'm honestly interested.

It started out as a wheat allergy, she would randomly come out in rashes, wasnt until she was out having coffee with a friend with a blueberry muffin, ended up in the walk in centre with a rash all down her throat. After testing they discovered both blueberry and wheat allergies.

Fool that she is ignored it thinking the odd slice of toast wont kill her, well until she was out having a burger (this was about 6 years later) and ended up being rushed to a&e as her throat was swelling and she could barely breathe. They did more indepth tests to discover she also cant eat rye or barley (oats are ok suprisingly!)

Gluten free ranges are ever expanding, my mum lives off rice crispies and gluten free corn flakes!

As for lunches/ dinner, maybe replace sandwiches with gluten free pasta salads. The pasta is quite close to normal pasta I think, the bread is just vile and overpriced I think!

That being said if you get gluten free flour you can make your own pizzas without worrying if theres anything in the sauce too! Make large batches of the dough and freeze it. The possibilities really are endless no matter how limited it feels at the moment! Hth xx

Thank yous all soo much :). I feel a bit better now knowing i have options. I need to do a shop for some stuff and im sure i will find stuff i like and dislike i guess it will take time to adapt. Thanks for the help :)

Hi, I've had a coeliac disease for about 18months. It was so hard when I was first diagnosed. Worrying about cross contamination, checking ingredients in everything! I'm slowly getting used to it and its not as bad as i first thought! I've lost quite alot of weight (I was one of the unlucky coeliacs who wasn't underweight lol)
And I feel the best I've felt for ages.
I can eat what i used to but with slight variations. Most things I make now are freshly cooked and prepared as I found that easier than scanning ingredient lists.
Eating out used to terrify me I used to be so stressed but we have found a couple of great places local to me that are brilliant in understanding and making sure everything is gf. Some places look at me like I have 3 heads when I ask if they cater for coeliacs or do gluten free food lol.
As has already been advised join coeliac society, you will get a small book that lists gluten free foods from supermarkets restaurants etc. they have a Facebook page too.
Your dietician will be able to help with loads of advice too. You should get welcome packs from different companies with samples of there products which will help you decide what you prefer etc ready for when you order prescriptions. I too get glutafin fresh bread and freeze it and lovely. Glutafin do part baked rolls that are handy to pop in the microwave and are lovely and soft or to put in the oven for slightly crunchy
Good luck it's very daunting to begin with but gluten free is more and more available these days and when you start to feel better it will be worth it. You can have up days and down days. Also never let anybody make you feel like you are just a fussy eater coeliac disease is very serious! Feel free to pm me if you want any more info as I could talk for hours about coeliac and gluten free but I do tend to ramble on lol xx

When I go with the kids if we find something I can eat we're usually jumping up and down like we've won the lottery haha.

I do this as well!! :) I always have to look at the gf isle in a supermarket incase they have something new lol

I am also celiac and found out about 4 years ago. Find its changed my life for the best as feel amazing now! I even think different!
Really you will enjoy after a few months ofcourse the change! But be super strong!! Hard to ready ingredients for everything ! but do! As not worth getting any in you as will be a wast of the time you have worked so hard to keep it out of your diet :)
You are one of the lucky onces to find out! as now your body can start to heal and stop future problems that can be life threatening. I sadly knew someone who lost two children as her body couldn't look after her and the child.. Then gluten free and she has kids! (She did eat gluten again after having the child and she is fine??! But everyone is different).
This is an amazing thing! I wish I found out sooner so I could of enjoyed my education and not of struggled so much as for me it effects my brain due to the lack on nutrition I was getting due to being a celiac.
More like congratulations you found out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thank you. I wish I found out sooner the past year has been awful I just thought i was ill all the time. Contstant feelin sick, dioreah, bloated and tired. It was getting me down so much and i started loosin passion about everything. Hopefully i eill be on the mend soon :)

When I go with the kids if we find something I can eat we're usually jumping up and down like we've won the lottery haha.

I do this as well!! :) I always have to look at the gf isle in a supermarket incase they have something new lol

Well we're usually looking in the crisps and confectionery section hahaha xx

Blimey you're really lucky with your restaurants near you! I haven't had fish and chips for over 3 years! When I eat out I just stick with plain steak and chips or go to a Toby carvery but have to take my own gluten free gravy with me! Toby used to do a gluten free sponge pudding for dessert but have stopped doing it so I don't even get a pudding now either :( x

aww that's not good, whereabouts do you live? There's a website called gluten free on the go, and you can put your search details in ie where you live, what type of restaurants you're looking for, and it gives you a list of gf friendly restaurants. I think glutafin also list gf friendly restaurants, have a look online, that's how we found our fish shops. If all else fails why not make your own? Buy a bag of chip shop chips, because lets face it you cant make them the same at home, and get a recipe for gf fish batter and fry your own fish.

We have found that the best restaurants have been the independently owned ones as opposed to the chain restaurants, but you will come across a restaurant every now and again who doesnt know what coeliac disease is therefore have no clue how to cater for it. Usually you can explain to the staff what you can and cant have and they are helpful, but what really annoys me is when they treat you like you're being fussy. I do realise that these days it seems to be "trendy" to be allergic to wheat, and you do occasionally get people who just enjoy being faddy claiming to be allergic, but sometimes you will encounter waiting staff who treat everyone as if they are being picky. I want to grab them by the collar and explain exactly what impact it has on my husbands health when they cant be bothered to check that his food is suitable, but perhaps the best approach is just to leave and go somewhere else to eat!!

ooh another thing I just thought of: We didnt go on holiday for 2 years because we were worried about trying to explain the coeliac thing on a daily basis to someone who's first language isnt english. Then we found a site that has little cards that you print off that basically say "I have coeliac disease which means I cant eat gluten which is found in wheat, barley, rye, yada yada" and has been translated into any language you can think of. You print it off and take it on holiday and give it to the waiting staff so they can understand you. We went to greece last year and took them and they were brilliant. The staff were so helpful once they had clearly understood what we needed, and my husband didnt get ill from gluten ingestion once during the whole fortnight. I cant remember the name of the site but if you google "coeliac translation cards" you will find it :hug:

Latest posts

Back