Does anyone here have IBS?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blush09

Reaction score
can i pick your brains before i see my GP on tues ?

i know shouldnt self diagnose but think i have all the symptoms :irked:

I don't have it but my bro does and so does my cousin. Both have different symptoms and have tried all manner of treatments - some more affective than others.

See your GP... all you can do is ask and get some answers :)

hi hun, i suffered with this for 2 years, really badly, some days i didnt want to leave the house, as i always had the runs.
i was told the 3 things that irritate it appart from stress, are coffee, red wine, and pork, i was 4 stone overweight and lived off coffee, i gave up coffee that day, and in 48hrs it was gone,
last year i did some colonic training, and i was told that ibs is just a word used for any stomach trouble that you cant diagnose,
anyway hope it clears up soon, luv hx
ps i lost the 4 stone aswell, which helped,

I have suffered with IBS since I was 19, during an attack I get chronic stomache pain, I go very cold and very white looking then my tummy makes the most horrenous gurgles then the dihorea starts....its bit unpleasant to say the least.

I have recently lost over a stone and improving my diet and excersise certainly has made me see a noticiable difference.

I also kept a food diary years ago to figure out my "trigger" foods, green peppers an bean sprouts were a big trigger (bye bye yummy stir frys!!) as is bread, fizzy drinks, caffine, and general processed/junk food.

I have been prescribe Anti Spasmosic Tablets by my GP, but to be honest I never found then useful they took to long to work an I needed to take them once an attack has started!

Over the years I have foun some really useful ways of coping, one thing AVOID AT ALL COSTS Ibuprofen tablets, they play havoc with IBS. Learn to like Pepperint tea and if you get the feeling IBS attack is starting drink the tea....(honey in it helps to begin with) Also Peppermint Oil Tablets from Holland an Barret are GOD SEND!! Also oddly DONT eat TOO MUCH fibre

Good luck at the doctors

HTH

Wheat seems to be a common trigger food, and since giving up wheat I've hardly had an attack of it.
Too much fat sets me off, so cream in my coffee has to be a rare treat :(

hi
thanks for your prompt replies .. have booked appt for tomorrow, will see what the gp says

it just came on all of a sudden, rumbling and gurgling tummy for cpl days .. my daughter and husband thought it highly amusing, i had never heard anything like it .. then having to rush to the loo, and sometimes nothing, other times .. well, if you have ibs you know the score!
have had tummy pains, but mostly to the right side .. in fact when i think about it have had these pains for some time on and off

also although i wouldnt say i felt particularly bloated, was miffed when my trousers didnt feel any looser after losing 7lbs on a diet .. everyone said i looked like id lost weight, and i felt slimmer but my uniform trousers were just as tight

also since losing a darling daughter @ 6mth this time last year, and after all the publicity surrounding poor jade goody, i have been absolutely paranoid and panic stricken about every pain and twinge i get .. think my doctors think im a Hypocondriac (sp?) but have had a terrible year losing the baby, family being sick, debt etc .. just think im stressed all the time, which i believe can lead to IBS

although i realise IBS isnt a picnic in the park, i have been thinking the worst all weekend .. googled my symptoms and all sorts came up from bowel cancer to ovarian cancer! will still get it checked though, i suspect it ISNT anything sinister because of the rumbling and gurgling tummy but better get it checked out

thanks for all your advice and recommendations etc .. will deffo try the peppermint tea, have been trying to give up regular tea and coffee anyway

tonylee, im going to pm you in a minute about a seperate issue xx

Last edited:
I have IBS, polycystic ovaries and Lupus!
Its not nice but can be treated, for me losing weight (3st last year), changing diet didnt help but then due to the other complications I have we suspect thats the reason.

Good luck at the GP

I have suffered with Ibs for about 23 years. The last couple of years i have been fine but i did change to decaf coffee and hardly eat any bread now.
Strangely i have probably been more stressed the last couple of years too!
It really is a name that doctors put to any stomach problems that they have no diagnosis for.
There are 4 types A,B,C and D- Alternate, Both, Constipation and Diarrhoea.
I would have what i called my 'safe foods' but foods that i knew were safe could change which made matters worse.
The more you worry about it the worse it gets so it's like a vicious circle. I tried so many things but the thing that helped me the most when i was really bad was calcium tablets.
Everyone is different though so it really is a good idea to have a food diary.
Fruit was one of the worst foods to me and i still never eat fruit and i always carry a packet of entrocalm everywhere i go!
I luckily haven't had to have any for quite a while now and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that i will stay that way.
It really can be quite debilitating and i think more research should be done as it affects about 1 in 3 people.
Hope everything goes well at the doctors x

Just though i would add that at my salon we do colonic irrigation and that really helps for people who suffer with IBS.

i don't have IBS myself but my sister does and she's been told to take slippery elm supplements. Hope you get it under control soon:hug:

I have been diagnosed with IBS for about 9 years now. I don't get the runs, I just get very bloated and have excrutiating pains, they take my breath away.

I did have 2 colonics years ago, but was then told by the hospital not to have them anymore, as they could make things worse?

Doctors either love colonics or hate them. It really does depend on your doctor.
We had one lady who had been going to the doctor for 30 years with constipation. He kept fobbing her off and she couldn't believe the difference one colonic made.
I have a state of the art bed at my salon which uses the open system. I have customers coming back time and time again so it obviously helps them but i realise it's not everyones cup of tea :)

Hi, I have suffered with this for many years I find the only thing that truley helps is diet, exercise and trying not to worry!!! It can be a very depressing illness due to rushing home and having to cancel plans not to mention sharpe pains and 3 months pregnant looking bloated stomach. I have found colpermin tablets from the chemist extremly helpful in controlling it. I have tried many tablets and potions over the years and find its trial and error what works for one might not for another so see what your doctor says and then try things to see what works for you.

Doctors either love colonics or hate them. It really does depend on your doctor.
We had one lady who had been going to the doctor for 30 years with constipation. He kept fobbing her off and she couldn't believe the difference one colonic made.
I have a state of the art bed at my salon which uses the open system. I have customers coming back time and time again so it obviously helps them but i realise it's not everyones cup of tea :)

Oh I do agree that they are fabulous, I do recommend them to others all the time if anyone asks me about them, I just don't dare risk it myslef again!:confused:

I have suffered with IBS for nearly 16 years now and it took over my life at one stage.
The pains are terrible, a bit like contractions, I went cold, white had dihorria, was constipated. I was even hospitalised at one point as the pain was causing me to pass out, I also couldn't eat so had to be put on a drip. I couldn't even stand up straight as the stomach cramps were that intence I kept my knees up to my chin. The stress of it all made it worse too, stress is one of the main causes of IBS.

For years I let the doctor just fob me off with, "oh you have IBS", take these tablets and it will ease the pain.
What you have to do is find out what is causing it as the doctor will say you have IBS instead of getting to the root of the cause, well mine did.

I kept a food diary and discovered that I had a wheat intollerance, I self diagnosed myself with this and was very right too! I have not eaten wheat for 5 years now and the only time I get a twinge is when I get stressed, then I have a few Buscopan's, which you can but over the counter, and I am fine.

If you have IBS then there are loads of support groups and advise on the illness.

My advise to you would be to do what I done, and someone else who has replied, and keep a food diary. Dont spend years suffering.

Hope your ok.

Hi, I found the only thing that helped me was a private blood test called the York Test this a food intolerance test
this test helped me a lot
as I was so very ill for very many years ,
I was already under a Hospital GI Doctor and had all sorts of tests ,
but they couldnt find anything so they said it was IBS

the York Test results told me what foods my blood was reacting badly to and what foods were causing me to be ill
for me it was the Protien that is found in cows milk and anything derived from milk like cheese or cream ect ,

there was also pork and fatty foods yeast and certain types of beans and cranberries ,

I swapped over to alpro soya milk and stayed away from all the foods they told me to,
over a few weeks I felt a big improvement,

I do have oesteoporosis due to not absorbing the cows milk that I drank over so many years ,

I do wish I had found out about the milk intolerance earlier so that I could have swapped to soya milk earlier which has just as much calcium which I could have absorbed,

if you think you are milk or lactose intolerant,
(which can just happen as in my case ) please go and see your GP

The signs are if you drink cows milk on an empty tummy you will feel very ill this can also make you sick (throw up ) you can also feel quite faint ,
or you feel very sick with your tummy gurgling away ,
it can also make you run to the toilet for hours on and off with tummy pains cramping and diarreah

The only thing that helped me control my tummy problems was the York test and I am so glad I found out about it as it was Brilliant ,

I do believe these sort of food intolerance tests are now available in some areas on the NHS but not where I live.

Hi please get yourself checked out properly, especially if you are in severe pain and are passing blood regularly, losing weight and off your food, as i was told i had IBS and took the doctors word for it but found out much later that it was much more serious. so please, please, get checked and dont get fobbed off if you are not happy. regards

Latest posts

Back