Does anyone use a baby steriliser for tools?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshmammy

Reaction score
Today I picked up a nail station, from a tech who was closing down. I had a look around to see if there was anything else that would be useful to me, she didn't have much left, but she offered me an avent baby steriliser. I told her my kids were too old! She then told me she sterilised her tools in it. I told her I disinfect and sanitise mine. She seemed quite disgusted with this, I think she thought I was an NSS. Does anyone use a baby steriliser for tools, wouldn't they rust, or even hot metal surely would melt the plastic of a baby steriliser.

yes i do, what i do is wash them them in a dertergent and then into the sterilizer for 10 minutes i always have extras in the sterilizer and always put in on 5 minutes before client comes, not only that they also know that the tools that you are using are clean, if it works for babies bottles why not for your tools.

This works well for me.
mundo

a baby steriliser is not sufficient for thorough sanitizing and is no substitute for an autoclave.

if you are use a steam steriliser it needs to work under pressure for approx 20 mins at a min of 120 degree celcius.

a medical grade cold disinfectant solution would be better than a baby steriliser - with some you only need to immerse for 5 mins for thorough disinfection.

a medical grade cold disinfectant solution would be better than a baby steriliser - with some you only need to immerse for 5 mins for thorough disinfection.

I got some of that! It's good stuff! Keep mine in a small barbicide glass near my desk, drop any tools I have used with the last client & as you say they are disinfected within 5 min so are ready for use quicky. Great for those "back to back" days!

a baby steriliser is not sufficient for thorough sanitizing and is no substitute for an autoclave.

if you are use a steam steriliser it needs to work under pressure for approx 20 mins at a min of 120 degree celcius.

Can I ask why a baby steriliser is not sufficient for thorough sanitizing when it is sufficient to sterilize our baby's teets,toys,dummies etc,all of which go into their mouths?

For me I would have thought this would be more than sufficient.:confused:

Now look ppl, you cant go around sterilising babies, its just not on...LOL
But a baby's bottle steriliser is great for the kind of bacteria etc that baby's things will encounter, but an autoclave steams under pressure for a longer cycle, and is whats needed for metal instruments (if you steam sterilise as opposed to soaking).
Dentists & piercers love them, & I imagine the environmental health would have a fit at using a bottle steriliser instead.
:hug:

sorry just to conclude (Baby Zack awoke from his nap for a feed, but is asleep again for the mo' x)

An Autoclave steams under extreme pressure & is sealed shut, & it gets REALLY HOT! Therefore killing a wider range of serious nasties (HepC HIV & the like).

Baby's bottle steriliser steams for less time, the unit is'nt sealed shut, you just plonk the lid on!

And I dont think it gets as intensely hot as the autoclave.

Ruth is spot on with her comments.

If you got a teet from a baby bottle, rubbed it under a stranger's finger nails, between their toes and then asked them to cough on it, would you trust the baby unit to cleanse the teet thoroughly before putting it back in baby's mouth. I doubt it!!

To steam sterilise you need pressure. You don't get this with the baby unit (which technically is NOT a steriliser).

sorry just to conclude (Baby Zack awoke from his nap for a feed, but is asleep again for the mo' x)

An Autoclave steams under extreme pressure & is sealed shut, & it gets REALLY HOT! Therefore killing a wider range of serious nasties (HepC HIV & the like).

Baby's bottle steriliser steams for less time, the unit is'nt sealed shut, you just plonk the lid on!

And I dont think it gets as intensely hot as the autoclave.
I would still have thought that a sterilizing tablet and a steamer would kill most nasties,like I said if its for sterilizing a babies bottle teets that goes in their mouths I am sure it would have to kill virtually everything :confused:

However you will be pleased to know that I dont use one for sterilizing anything.:)

Just wanted to say thanks mundo for enlightening me,posted at the same time.

Latest posts

Back