Does temperature of salon effect colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Ok lovely geeks I'm having the week from hell and it's still only my first week in my new salon! Everything's gone wrong.... Like everything! And I just want to cry and drink gin...... Lots of gin!

So I have a query....
you may have seen my thread yesterday about a colour I done which went green/khaki? If not please look, this may make more sense. Or you can tell me is a spooky coincidence and I need more gin!

Tonight I had another issue with bleach it went yellow and stayed yellow! No additional lift after 15 mins...... I had to add heat even then... Hardly anything!
From only an 8 (I wanted a 10.)

I used joico freeplay with 40!!!....( I ever use 40!)

Now I have 10 years experience and pride myself on my colour knowledge but the only thing different I have done is move salons! And the salon I've moved into is old plus only has me at the mo it's really cold. Does this effect the colour and lifting process that much? Put it this way I touched the foils and they were cold!

What the blooming hell do I do? What kind of heating do you all have?
It wasn't anything I even thought of when looking at premises... I need cheap heating and need it soon before I ruin my business before it's started x

Please help i feel like I'm going crazy x

Last edited:
Heat can affect the colour development. But it foils I can't imagine it makes much differencentre in foils...

My heating system in my salon is an air conditioning unit that is installed in the ceiling. I have it set ato 22 degrees and sometimes wacky it up to 26. It's usually on from 7.30 am until 5.30 (til 8 on a Thursday) 6 days a week... I've just got my first quarterly bill for my electricity and it was £300. Hope that helps a bit?

See that's what I thought.... But technically I'm not doing g anything different!.....

Wow is that all? Can I ask how much it cost to install?

The temperature definitely effects the color processing. If your client is cold, their head probably isn't giving out heat like it usually would. If you have a hood dryer, sometimes in the summer when we have the A/C on, I'll turn on the dryer and just put in behind their head to warm up the air around it, but not directly over it

Temperature is a major factor in the development of colour - particularly bleach.
That is why foil is used for highlights, and why the climazone/rollerball became popular back in the day!
As a temporary fix, get yourself a small fan heater for the salon, you don't want your clients feeling cold whilst they are getting their hair done.
You could pop a plastic cap over the bleach, it will keep the heat in, and stop it drying out.;)

Thanks all now just need to decide on what heating i get in the salon long term which doest cost the earth to fit or run# x

I wouldn't take in any clients until you can heat the place x

I could get the best cut/colour in the world and I wouldn't go back, it's a horrible sensation when you have a tint put on and your freezing and not nice when you have to sit feeling cold and not able to move about. X

See that's what I thought.... But technically I'm not doing g anything different!.....

Wow is that all? Can I ask how much it cost to install?

It was already installed when I took over the lease in the building so couldn't tell you how much it cost sorry

Latest posts

Back