Does your other employer know you are working as a Therapist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVW

Reaction score
Hi there, for those of you who work at "another" job either part time or full time, and then do treatments on your days off/ in the evenings and weekends - does your employer know that you do this, and what is their reaction?
Thanks

It shouldn't be a problem as long as your not using their clients.

The "other" job is an office role, nothing to do with beauty. Just not sure how businesses feel about their staff "moonlighting" - even though it would be in my own time?

I'm also in the same position, Iv gone part time to return to college but mostly to focus on my buisness. I'm not going to openly tell them, if they find out they find out! I also don't advertise my beauty to the other staff in my office job, I may be losing clients but i like them separate. Same as a lot of my friends don't know, I want them as friends and my clients to be real clients xxx

I am trying to persuad my boss to let me go to 4 days a week, so that I can concentrate on my treatments 1 full day, but dont want to tell him why, I think it should be kept separate, and although it would be nice for my colleagues and friends at work to know, I am thinking it is best not to broadcast it - it is hard though. I have a FB page but trying to work out how to keep it from work friends who are FB friends...!

I don't understand why you don't want people to know? Until last week I had two jobs and told my employer from the start, these are the days I can work because I'm in the salon the other days. It's never been a problem. They had me doing things like kids nails at fun days so I could hand out leaflets.

Yes mine does its registered as secondary employment... We HAVE to for work life balance and it's force policy for us.
Think it depends who you work for x

I am starting a new job part time on friday as i need the regular money coming in. I am also at college one day a week. Then for 2 full days i am working mobile. As both industry's are totally different i don't think i will have a problem. If i get asked then i will honestly reply but don't think it will cause any problems. As i won't be doing any mobile work before or after my shift at my main job.

I work monday - thursday in a sales role (that I hate) and then do mobile beauty in the evenings and all day friday / saturday / sunday if I get the bookings!

My boss(es) do not know that I work offering mobile treatments, however one of the girls who works in the office does but she keeps it to herself as she has treatments from me.

I dont tell them becuase I dont want them to know for a number of reasons....but mainly because its none of their business! I dont want to give them the opportunity to use it as an excuse..i.e your working to many hours which is effecting your performance...or if they make redundancies I may be the first on the hit list becuase i already have another income?

I removed myself from facebook so they could not see what I was up to. My long term goal is to go mobile full time but just need to build it up at the moment.

However...if they asked me I would not lie. Perhaps just play it down abit saying its for immediate family and friends...no big deal!

I hope you've let hmrc know so they can give you a PAYE code to send to your empolyeer or registered yourself. It might be fun and games doing it outside of work but you have to be taxed accordingly.

Also you shouldnt be treated anyway differently if you do have a job outside the only thing affecting you is how much you are entilted. hths xoxo

Everything is out in the open at my part time employment. I'm sure I read somewhere years ago that they would have to know and it's fine as long as it doesn't affect my performance.

I work 3 days a week as a dental nurse and the rest of the time I run my business.

My employer knows as I declare a second income with the taxman.

I have had no problems as it does not effect or interfere with my nursing.

As dental nurse I don't Paid much, and a second income is vital for me!

Yes I work full-time as a legal secretary and my employment contract stipulates that if you want to run another business or carry on other employment outside of work hours then I have to ask the Managing Partner for permission. I did and he thought it was great! :) I think it would only be a problem if it was a similar kind of business and also if it interfered with my job.
So it will depend if anything is stated in your employment contract, and if not I would still mention it anyway as a matter of courtesy.
HTH xx

Yes my office employers (full time job) know that I have been training, and now set up - they are fine with it as long as I don't let it affect my work. We have flexi time but if I'm leaving early to get to an appointment I try not to broadcast it as I think that might be a bit cheeky!

I have just advertised on our intranet so we'll see if that generates any business other than my work friends who love me doing their eyelashes!

I asked hr, as I have advertised and wanted to check it wasnt a problem. She said legally its not an issue, although I'm not allowed to advertise at work without permission. They also said that they are obliged to make sure that our working hours comply with eu regulations, you have to have rest hours in between working days and that my outside work shouldnt mean that I am working too much.

However, its not like I'm working down a mine, so I wouldn't say anything even if I did have solid bookings on my day off as my plan is to go full time mobile anyway x

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Yes they do know. In my other life I'm a writer for a charity so no conflict of interest whatsoever. They all know what I do, are all very supportive and some come down for treatments. There's no harm whatsoever in being open about it, I think as long as you make it clear you are professional in your 'day job' and are not for example updating your therapy facebook when you're supposed to be working, they shouldn't have a problem with it!

You'll also probably find that a lot of people in office jobs have another thing going on alongside - they just might not mention it!

I work in a salon and also do mobile, I have been honest about it from the start.

I don't mind telling my work. As it happens it really depends on who you work for/with. In the past I would never discuss it, I feel those I worked with at the time would judge and be negative towards me simply because I was doing something new/different.
My new Full time job has turned out so well feel lucky working with good, funny caring people. Doesn't happen everyday. X

I have to declare to my employers, because I work in local government and the nature of where I work it could be conflict of interest yadda yadda yadda. Hasn't been a problem so far

My old employer had it written into everyone's contract that you were not allowed to have a second job unless authorised with the HR dept.

They wanted to ensure you concentrated 100% on your main job, had no risk of tiredness etc etc. It was also written in the contract that if you had a hobby which you had a risk of injury, should you do injure yourself, you are expected to stop doing the hobby immediately.

From chatting with friends & family, this is not uncommon for companies to do.

I'm looking at getting a part time job until i've built enough clients up to go full time on my own, so dont know if i'll tell the company yet.

Latest posts

Back