Dog food debate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulineM-Mobile

Reaction score
I know we have had a few threads on dog food. Just wanted to highlight channel 5 programme on just now 2000-2100.

Should clear up a few questions.

P x

I thought it was quite good at opening peoples eyes, especially the vets on commission ;-)
In all honesty years ago when I got my dog I didn't have a clue how bad these foods were, and I'm sure a lot of people don't now either.

I started the last thread on dog food but missed this prog

Any chance of a wee summery please?

Yup , need a summery , not in uk can't watch it .

Hi MM29, I also started a thread on this topic sometime ago. I researched as best I could and made the choice to go with Lilys Kitchen. That was 1 and a half years ago and I thankfully to this day think we made the right choice.

Basically the programme briefly investigated the most popular diet that we feed our dogs.

Widely available dog food produced by multimillion pound company's (belongs in the toilet)

More natural brands with no grain, no colouring, no preservatives.

Raw Meaty Bones Diet

and The Vegan Dog Diet.

An advocate for each diet out across there point throughout the programme.

I'm definitely biased but the smaller more natural diet companies in my eyes came out best. (Lilys Kitchen)

I was surprised how the raw diet was largely portrayed. I always thought of it as being the ultimate for your dog but I myself couldn't do it due to lack of freezer and utility space. It addressed salmonella risk, fractured and decayed teeth and bone fragment building up in stomach and bowel - frequently resulting in abdominal surgery. Not worth the risk for me.

I hope that sheds some light.

I'm sure you'll catch it on you tube or catch up somewhere.

P x

See I've fancied raw for the dogs (4of them) but I'm soooo useless been vegiterian since I was 5 so clueless .

But we just moved to the USA , and there's a lot of deer hunting here , I considered getting a chest freezer for Garrage and buying some ready processed (cut dear :( ) from neighbor .
Honestly I personally can't stand it the whole idea but for the dogs I would ...

That way the deer being wild would not be antibiotic / hormone fed and stuff like normal farmed processed meats are.

I do think if I did this they could go full raw , but substitute a few meals a week maybe ?

Right now they eat blue buffalo and some chicken and stuff now and then . supposedly blue buffalo is a good one , I don't know if I'm convinced .

If you want to know more on the subject look up a book
Dr pitcairns natral health for cats and dogs .

Last time I read it it moderated me to sort my own diet out to lol

I'm in the States, but read about this on Daily Mail. (Don't hate me, I love their celeb articles.)

I was forced to cook for my Westie when she was diagnosed with diabetes last year. I can't do raw because she had several teeth pulled. But I did consult with an holistic vet who gave me a good slow cooker recipe. It's helped her diabetes along with the daily insulin.

For her personally, not all dogs, I think the over processed dog food did not help her blood sugar. In fact maybe made it worse and bring on diabetes.

We use something called Fromm Gold. It's a US product.

Very good ingredients, no cereals that they can't digest!

All the dogs we have had have loved it :)

One thing I forgot to say, it amazed and worried me to be honest the fact that a raw diet can cause salmonella (?) on the dogs fur and can transfer to kids! I never knew that before last night! I did wonder about it effecting the dog but not others.

I bought a food for my puppy called Eden and she got so sick because she has gastrointestinal so can't have any meat :eek: she now eats Royal Canin Gastrointestinal and is fine on this, just so scared to change her diet x

One thing I forgot to say, it amazed and worried me to be honest the fact that a raw diet can cause salmonella (?) on the dogs fur and can transfer to kids! I never knew that before last night! I did wonder about it effecting the dog but not others.

What they didn't say was that salmonella can be found in dry food. But dogs have properties in their saliva which kill bacteria and the salmonella xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I bought a food for my puppy called Eden and she got so sick because she has gastrointestinal so can't have any meat :eek: she now eats Royal Canin Gastrointestinal and is fine on this, just so scared to change her diet x

I fed eden after the raw diet but dudnt suit my dog. You can only feed a certain amount because of how rich in meat it is. My oscar was a skinny minnie so needed more but when I fed more than recommended the outcome wasnt great!!
So now feed orijen which is still 80% meat but I can feed him more and hes been great on it :)

so was it saying raw food is best then?

i missed it

She really loved it, just her wee tummy can only have food with 10% meat or less so Eden isn't for her unfortunately x

No It was definitely not saying raw was best.

It simply put out some (brief) information about each diet allow us as pet owners to make correct decision.

Royal Canin is full of utter s**t.

Please research your dogs food. Last nights programme was a healthy insight into each choice.

As I said earlier, natural dog food companies seem to be taking the commitment to feed our pets correct nutrition (Lilys Kitchen, Orijin, Fish for Dogs, Barking Heads are a few of such companies).

crikey our vets sells royal canin! You'd think that would be ok!

Did they slate Burns at all? Sposed to be all things wonderful and no rubbish but who knows?

What they didn't say was that salmonella can be found in dry food. But dogs have properties in their saliva which kill bacteria and the salmonella xx

Ohhh, we'll that isn't so bad then. I can't believe it can be in dry food too! I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm going to wash my hands rigorously if I do touch my dogs dry food now lol!
I was saying to my mum about this subject, it seems similar to our human food where over the years these companies have got more profit driven and less quality.

No It was definitely not saying raw was best.

It simply put out some (brief) information about each diet allow us as pet owners to make correct decision.

Royal Canin is full of utter s**t.

Please research your dogs food. Last nights programme was a healthy insight into each choice.

As I said earlier, natural dog food companies seem to be taking the commitment to feed our pets correct nutrition (Lilys Kitchen, Orijin, Fish for Dogs, Barking Heads are a few of such companies).

The problem is I did research my dog food and it was unsuitable; this is the only reason she gets Royal Canin; all the natural foods are unsuitable as they have too much meat in them.

The problem is I did research my dog food and it was unsuitable; this is the only reason she gets Royal Canin; all the natural foods are unsuitable as they have too much meat in them.

I'm wondering if you ever came across "Fish for dog" ie no meat.

There will be something out there that will be safe and wholesome for you lovely pooch.

P x

Latest posts

Back