Doing manicures at a hen party

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80's Girl

Reaction score
I received a text last night from a friend who will be hosting a hen party and has asked me if I would like to do manicures there. I think this will be a great opportunity for a bit of advertising/networking but I'm not sure what to charge and how.

I'll be using Vinylux as it will be quicker and was thinking I would treat it as a mini manicure - normal pep and polish but no frills. Would £10 each be acceptable?

To those ladies who've done this before - do you take deposits/payments up front? I don't want to get there and end up doing only one set of nails for £10. Do I need to state a minimum number that I'll do? Also, do you give a goodie bag? I was thinking I'd like to put a little pack with my pricelist and business card in but don't know what else to add that doesn't cost much. Chocolates?

Any advice/experiences gratefully received. Xxx

I want go mobile for less than 4 people maybe just leave some pricelists where they will see them as goody bags are just eating your profit . I am salon based and that's y I have a minimum of 4 people rule and ask for a £20 non refundable deposit. But that's me .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ah now this is awkward - had a text saying that it would be a maximum of 5 across the evening whose names will have been picked out of a hat and that it's a great opportunity for me to get more clients. Hmm I think she thinks I'll do it for free just for the advertising. :(

Ah now this is awkward - had a text saying that it would be a maximum of 5 across the evening whose names will have been picked out of a hat and that it's a great opportunity for me to get more clients. Hmm I think she thinks I'll do it for free just for the advertising. :(

Nothing in life is free though, and if that's the case that they will be picked out of a hat then work out how much you want to do 5 manicure for and then do a little discount like 10 or 20% you can't not be paid for your time and products and she wouldn't get someone from a salon to do it for nothing x

I did one and dratically underpriced myself £5 for file and polish. I earnt £45 but it was hectic.

£10.00 sounds better to me. Dont do it for free! hen parties are a nightmare.

Starting to think it'll be more trouble than its worth .....

Def don't do for free and it will be hard work, can you imagine doing the 5th girl after she's had a good few drinks... I've done pamper parties and they take a while.

As said nothing is for free..

Ok….so i did a 40th birthday party, 6 ladies, who all had gel polish (GELISH) I started at 6.15 and finished by 10.15 …a couple had french and the rest block colour, some with glitter…It was fine. I normally charge £14.50 for Gel but charged 13.00 per person, which i made sure they knew up front…. and the host got £7.50 voucher off her next booked appointment….It worked really well and i have since had a couple back… I gave cards out but didm;t offer goodie bags as its all money at the end of the day….I said minimum of four but obviously knew that going up to 6 and above would need to look at timings etc.

Ok….so i did a 40th birthday party, 6 ladies, who all had gel polish (GELISH) I started at 6.15 and finished by 10.15 …a couple had french and the rest block colour, some with glitter…It was fine. I normally charge £14.50 for Gel but charged 13.00 per person, which i made sure they knew up front…. and the host got £7.50 voucher off her next booked appointment….It worked really well and i have since had a couple back… I gave cards out but didm;t offer goodie bags as its all money at the end of the day….I said minimum of four but obviously knew that going up to 6 and above would need to look at timings etc.

Gosh I could never do 6 gel manicures in 4 hours - I'm just too slow. I'm only mobile so used to not having any real time pressures.

Do you ladies still do consultation and record cards for each client at these parties? X

I do pamper parties and if there was 6 ladies the host goes free? Always get new clients, no goody bags just price lists and business cards. It gives people an incentive to book their own as they will know its free if they host! I only do discounted rates if it's tans.
I do do client consultation at the beginning they all fill out while I set up and they decide who is going first etc. I don't ever wait around I have people continuous as the drunker they get the worse they are ( I once had a lady fall asleep during a lash treatment ). Hope this helps :)

£10 per person sounds perfect to me! what a lovely idea for a hen party
you could do a £10 deposit which is non refundable then the host who paid the deposit gets a free manicure ( basically they have already paid for it )

When I do group bookings I say min of 3, if there are 5 or more the host is free. I ask for a £30 deposit which is returned to the host once all booked guests have paid for their treatments. Say 5 guests are booked but i turn up and only 3 want nails doing I don't return the deposit. This encourages people to be honest about how many actually want treatments. As I've had people say there was 3 guests when there was only 2 just to get me there. Also be clear on how long it will take you to do the nails as I've found booking group bookings can actually take longer.

Good luck :)

If honest at the few parties i have done i haven't done consultations in theory other than few questions at the beginning but i usually am told the treatments before i get there, i.e. all gels, or one mani etc so i know which equipment to take and if they have had it before…. i do state to the host that i would need to know if they have allergies etc…. Maybe i should do consultations but this adds to the time factor when i already know what they are after….?

I have been asked to do this too. The 'hen do' is taking place at a holiday village about 50 miles from my house; I think they are having a 4 day break in a challet and have asked me to come and pamper them on the Saturday. Initially they had 9 hours worth of treatments booked...aaaargh!!

I have now asked them to limit it to one 45 minute treatment (facial, manicure or pedicure) for £10 each. Therefore are 7 of them so it will still take up a full day including travel (they are going to pay for my fuel too).

The holiday village has a spa on site with extremely pricey treatments so I think the hen (who is a friend of a friend) has thought 'I'm not paying those prices' and asked me instead lol.

I am still part way through my NVQ in Beauty so although I am quite daunted at the prospect it will be good experience x x

If honest at the few parties i have done i haven't done consultations in theory other than few questions at the beginning but i usually am told the treatments before i get there, i.e. all gels, or one mani etc so i know which equipment to take and if they have had it before…. i do state to the host that i would need to know if they have allergies etc…. Maybe i should do consultations but this adds to the time factor when i already know what they are after….?

I wonder if I could send consultation cards to the host before hand for the ladies to fill in medical details etc so that's out of the way.

I wonder if I could send consultation cards to the host before hand for the ladies to fill in medical details etc so that's out of the way.

You could hand them out as soon as you get there with enough pens and they can all be filling them in as you're setting up xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You could hand them out as soon as you get there with enough pens and they can all be filling them in as you're setting up xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is exactly what I do :)

Latest posts

Back