Dollarbill Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glorsclaws said:
Hi Nadia ... your nails look very nice :biggrin:
Ive seen this done before, it was quite big in the US a few years agao.
I was told that the tip was preblended and the 'paper' resined on to it, then adhered to the nail and then carry on as usual.
Also you could file the free edge, youd just have to make sure you capped it again afterwards... as with any encapsulation!
Dont know if this is how Nadia did it... Im sure she will tell us when she gets here.
Meanwhile did you know it is illegal to deface bank notes here.
You cannot cut up or deface anything considered legal tender, so tread carefully if you fancy a go at this!

Yea i heard this too. you can't use legal tender (i.e. sterling here, that includes scottish money too if your in england... anything with Sterling written on it) so you have to use foreign notes, i.e. greek, american, spanish money. Not sure about Euros. Don't think you can, think its a bit close to home because they are considered legal tender in this country.

Katelisa said:
I think you would have trouble with newspaper because the ink would probably run. Might be worth trying though...

Although they might end up lookin like chip shop nails!!! lol.
(they wrap the chips in newspaper, in case anyones feeling a bit slow this morning!!lol)

Good job you told 'em hun, they only still use newspaper as chip paper in good ol' brum!

ps do they still do orange chips up your way? (i'm not joking fellow geeks... they are bright orange but still taste as good!)

Toni Talons said:
Yea i heard this too. you can't use legal tender (i.e. sterling here, that includes scottish money too if your in england... anything with Sterling written on it) so you have to use foreign notes, i.e. greek, american, spanish money. Not sure about Euros. Don't think you can, think its a bit close to home because they are considered legal tender in this country.

It's illegal to deface American money also. You just photocopy whatever money you want to use with a color photocopier and cut to your hearts content. This also allows you to use coins too. You can scan a coin, print it, cut it and use it on nails. And, obviously, you can scan anything in the world and use it on the nails. Some really wonderful ideas are scanning pictures of people and printing them out and encapsulating them in nails. How cute to have a picture of your new baby encapsulated in your thumb nail for instance? Or, how about a picture of your wedding day encapsulated for your anniversary? The possibilities are endless when you have scanners and copiers. Heck, you can scan the fabric of the dress you're wearing to a special occasion, cut it out and encapsulate it in your nails to match perfectly!!! Not too much you can't do with this type of application. A tip though...print out your picture and let the ink dry overnight if possible. You don't want to smear it.

got_nails? said:
It's illegal to deface American money also. You just photocopy whatever money you want to use with a color photocopier and cut to your hearts content. This also allows you to use coins too. You can scan a coin, print it, cut it and use it on nails. And, obviously, you can scan anything in the world and use it on the nails. Some really wonderful ideas are scanning pictures of people and printing them out and encapsulating them in nails. How cute to have a picture of your new baby encapsulated in your thumb nail for instance? Or, how about a picture of your wedding day encapsulated for your anniversary? The possibilities are endless when you have scanners and copiers. Heck, you can scan the fabric of the dress you're wearing to a special occasion, cut it out and encapsulate it in your nails to match perfectly!!! Not too much you can't do with this type of application. A tip though...print out your picture and let the ink dry overnight if possible. You don't want to smear it.
RIGHT RIGHT I KNOW IVE SEEN THIS DONE PLENTY BEFORE I LEFT THE STATES FOR GERMANY!!!ITS SOR T OF OLD FOR THE STATES BUT DANG HERE ITS AWESOME!!!JUST ONE THING, IVE NEVER DONE IT LOL
OKLAHOMA BOUND HERE
36_33_6.gif

got_nails? said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you can't colour copy money either. That's against the law also. Its actually illegal to deface or colour copy your the Queen's tender (i.e anything sterling) but you should be okay defacing a dollar if you live in England. It's just best to stick with money that is foreign to your country. Altho it could be risky sending a client on hols to America if you've used a dollar hee hee. You might never see them again, or you'll be flying to some american jail to do a rebalance

On the other hand... who's gonna know? (unless your client works for the inland revenue ha ha)... OR you could try monopoly money... no-one can have you for that!!!!

o yea, you might be able to get away with copying coins. they can hardly accuse you of forging a 10p.

I have a Moroccan note, will I be able to cut this up for this use, its a lovely note and very crisp so would be ideal to use? I know I can't use it unless I go back to Morocco, I cannot even change it back here to Stirling.

Me thinks I have found a usage - only had the note for about 8 years now :)

For as many nails that i have seen done in bills there has to be a way that they are getting away with it, i may have to call home and see what they are using, but i bet its the real thing. wow!! ill call tomorrow and let everyo ne know , that is if they know lol

I've done these before matter of fact the last full set I did on myself I did with a dollar -- Yes, I used the real thing :o shhh, don't tell the government!!:D A lady I met years ago in the 90's had done so to her nails and I've been doing them ever since, the only problem I run into is that you have to use so much darn clear polish over it because the paper absorbs about a good 3 coats at first then it starts to build up to a shine...I also moisten the paper slightly, it makes it easier to work with....

I love them...You did an excellent job...
:Look_righ Another tip, you can used the whole word "one" and put a rhinestone inthe middle of the "o"

If anyone asks...this conversation never occured :eek:

Ms.Matrix :Kissing: please, please, please, can we have a brief tutorial on the dollar bill nails, please xxxx

well I have just been given 4 crisp dollar bills to play with so ... Yolanda tell us please the best way to use them coz I want to do these nails - i love 'em :)

Thanks

Jo xx :hug:

Well, firstly you need a dollar bill or a copy of a dollar bill for all the government agents and IRS out there...for regular civilians...use a real dollar (we'll use the term paper from now on just to be on the good side of any federal agents that may have nail fetishes):eek: because the color will run off anything else and you won't get the same effect.
Cut the paper to the shape you desire, now me myself I put a coat of clear on the nail first so that the paper will have something to stick to...slightly, slightly, slightly moisten the paper it's easier to fit the shape of the nail if the paper has some flexibility to it. After you've done that you can begin to put your clear polish on top...as I said earlier, unless you find a super thick clear/topcoat it takes about 3 before it begins to build up a good shine and plus you want enough to make sure you encase every corner and the seams, the seams are the main things because if you don't have enough clear/topcoat on you will be able to visably see a line of demarcation between the bill..Oops.. the paper and the nail....
I hope I explained everything clearly enough...I'm not as proficient as Geeg is with the tutorials:D
Let me know how you guys come through with it and I would love to see some pics!!!!

I didn't know whether I should have done this as a new thread or what...I hope everyone that wanted to know about it gets a chance to see it...

Do you have to use clear nailvarnish?

Can you not use gel?

You know, I'm sure you probably could use gel...that might come out even better....sad to say I've always been an L&P girl, I've never used gel. Although I do want to try it, I hear it's lighter than acrylic

I really like gel!

I wouldn't know where to start though with putting dollar bills on my nails encased in gel! LOL

It should be quite easy to encase 'paper' LOL in to gel nails. After building and shaping the nail you could apply one more thin coat of gel, cure, leave the inhibition layer, apply the paper, apply your finishing gel and cure. The finishing gel should be thick enough to encase the paper, just make sure that you seal all the edges well x

See I would have done it another way! LOL Good job I haven't tried it because it would prob have gone wrong!

I would have put my paper on my tip with glue and then gel over it!

That would probably work too x my way should be easier to rebalance though, just incase the Inland Revenue come to check your nails LOL xxxx

Sorry I took so long to respond but this is how I did it.

I measured all her nails and set aside the nails that I would be using. (I used a clear tip.)
Then she gave me one of her dollarbills and I cut it to fit the clear tips in a way that will give it a french look.
I then glued them on, cut them to size, and shaped them.
Then I overlayed them with L&P and continued like a regular set.
Instead of buffing them at the end I capped it with gel and added a gold strip just to give it a little something different.

Nidia

thanks for that Nidia. Will be trying that soon!

Latest posts

Back