Donating your body to medical science..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
I know this sounds a bit morbid to say the least but after my mum died I have been thinking about ways that could help someone else when we go....wherever or nowhere we go as the case may be.
It seems such a waste in a lot of ways when we can help others.
I am an organ donor but frankly I can't see much of my bits being that much use to anyone tbh.
Now I wanted to do this BUT they don't accept just anyone.
Now the main thing that bothers me about this is why they can keep the body for 3 years? Is it cruel that your family know you are in a tank of formaldehyde etc with a load of other folk? Is it mean that they can't put you to rest sooner and get over you (as such?)
And why do you have to be cremated?
Why can't you be buried?
Anyone had any experience of a friend or relative that signed up for it?
Or knows anyone medical?
Body donation FAQs

Like I say...it's a bit morbid but something to think about.
Gonna happen to us all one day....

I've thought about this too but to be honest I would think if you handed yourself to medical science then that would be it - no funeral no nothing.

I personally loathe funerals and think they are barbaric, apart from other relatives I have had to endure my Dad's and my Brother's - both young and very distressing.

If I decide to 'hand myself over' I will ask that they deal with everything.

Last edited:
Well you probably have to be cremated because you are full of formaldehyde which is highly toxic.
Yes i would leave my body to medical science if they wanted me and im quite happy to be cremated anyway, although evidently the best way now enviromentally is to be buried in a wicker or cardboard coffin with no headstones etc as with the Information about Woodland burial i like the idea behind this.

Funerals are so sad and boring. And what for? There's no closure really.
Once I told my kids that gran had died they had the upset. Then we had it all over again at the funeral and if the boys hadn't been on hols with their dad they would have also had the upset when we did the life for a life tree foundation thing. (A great idea btw)
Plus a silly foreign man and his gf shouted obscenities when the tree thing happened (it was a actually a kind of service...nice touch) and called us stupid english *ahems* etc. And I wanted to run him over on the way out. I didn't but only because I couldn't see him...
That's closure??
Plus if they use your body they pay for the cremation and give the family your ashes so you're not a burden to anyone in that way.
It's all paid for and the kids can go out on the lash and spend their inheritance.
Or be reallly sensible and invest it etc.
Like I say....it's worth a thought.

I'm very much with Judy here, the pain comes with death and then we go and reopen it with a barbaric (yes, I do mean that - the body in a box) ceremony, days later.

I guess it is everyone to their own but it certainly gets my vote.

I think I'm gonna go for it.
I don't want to leave the expense of a massive funeral for my kids even though they could be millionaires by then. My eldest son thinks it's a really good idea and says he wishes to do the same at some point. We need to find a cure for so many illnesses, especially cancer and without this how will medical students really learn?
I bet there's not that many cadavers in tanks at any given moment in this country?
I'm signing up.
I just hope they don't refuse me like when I went to give blood and was anaemic..that would be kindof embaressing eh?
It would probably be the story of my life tbh.
But hey...it's worth a try.

Good for you Judy :)

I went to give blood some time back and because I'd had a blood transfusion before 1987 (I think) I was refused because of the risks of CJD also known as mad cow disease........................don't anyone dare say a word:eek:

I think I'm gonna go for it.
I don't want to leave the expense of a massive funeral for my kids even though they could be millionaires by then. My eldest son thinks it's a really good idea and says he wishes to do the same at some point. We need to find a cure for so many illnesses, especially cancer and without this how will medical students really learn?
I bet there's not that many cadavers in tanks at any given moment in this country?
I'm signing up.
I just hope they don't refuse me like when I went to give blood and was anaemic..that would be kindof embaressing eh?
It would probably be the story of my life tbh.
But hey...it's worth a try.

Hey Judy you might even end up on the telly with that bloke who does autopsy live lol

Last edited:
Hey Judy you meant even end up on the telly with that bloke who does autopsy live lol

oh I've not seen that! Don't watch tv much mate...
Oh well it could be my 15 minutes!
I'll be the one wearing a spray tan thong.
I'll make prior arrangements about THAT.
And a wax.

Dont think your liver would be any good tho Judy lol - mine neither

Dont think your liver would be any good tho Judy lol - mine neither

I know that's what I thought when I filled the donor card but I've got gorgeous corneas....so my optician said :lol:

My sister in laws gran did this, and from what I remember they had a memorial service for her instead. Everyone respected her decision, then they had a very quiet service to remember her :)
I am toying with the idea of leaving my body to be tested on, instead of them using animals to test on but have never found much info about it.

My sister in laws gran did this, and from what I remember they had a memorial service for her instead. Everyone respected her decision, then they had a very quiet service to remember her :)
I am toying with the idea of leaving my body to be tested on, instead of them using animals to test on but have never found much info about it.

Yes a memorial service may make the family feel happier...good idea.
There's tons of info on the net I've been researching it for months mate x

I think cryogenctics sounds good just "put me on ice baby"

H**L NO is any group of med students standing over my dead body gossiping about their teacher or the latest movie, chopping me into bits! No way!
I can't stomach the idea. It just seems so disrespectful to me.

HOWEVER, I am an organ donor and have also signed my daughter's cards. My husband is against it and I told him "I sincerely hope you NEVER know what it's like wishing that someone HAD signed their child's card...".

On the other hand (and I REALLY need this in writing!!!) I wish to be cremated. I do NOT want a 'wake', 'viewing' or similar. I do NOT want any religious services said over my body (I'm pagan and do not believe in any sorts of gods nor godesses and wish to exit this world with that respect paid to me). If I find my dead body in a church, I'll DEFINATELY be haunting someone :lol:
I do NOT want anyone gazing at me in a casket with my hair and makeup done wrong, crying or yapping about my life. Burn my butt and put it in the ground the same day I croak. Do NOT waste money on a casket or funeral home on my behalf. Give money to charity and skip the flowers. They live longer in the ground and more people get to enjoy them that way OR pot a plant over my ashes. Put whatever money there is to use for a great big party! With loud music and the whole bit. Go on a cruise. Whatever...
Celebrate my life and do not mourn the ending of it.

Yup, I'm a funny bird. Too much of life is spent on tears. If they are joyful ones, great. If they aren't.. move on.

Back to "medical study'.
Nope. I'm against it. There are other ways to learn, without using my cold heiney.

Yes I understand what you're saying V but I don't want the thread to go down a "religious" route because it kind of breaks site rules and will be closed.
Each to their own!!:hug:
What's a heiney though??

I definitely want to do this. I've worked in science since I was 18 and it's something I've always thought about. I don't think a funeral is neccessary. A memorial service can be lovely. However, I think I'll only be good for a study on how enjoying the finer things in life wreck your body. :):):)

Good for you Judy :)

I went to give blood some time back and because I'd had a blood transfusion before 1987 (I think) I was refused because of the risks of CJD also known as mad cow disease........................don't anyone dare say a word:eek:

Wouldn't dream of saying anything...................(he he he):)

I would donate myself for science, and like someone else has said at least the family could do a memorial service with a plaque,

Latest posts

Back