Don't be fooled by Clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
emmsybabes! said:
actually thats another thing i havent been charging for nail art on top of enhancements,im quite proud of my nail atr so i show it to my new clients and then 9/10 times at the end of the service they will say oooh can i have some nail art ,usually its only a few rhinestones and holographic dots mabey a few flicks and i enjoy doing it so dont bother charging but i suppose one day they'll all be gone and then i have to put my hand in my pocket for more wont i ....(oh except my most regular client who always pays me extra for gems and has become a really good mate)
hmmmm catch 22 here really because i enjoy doing it but why should i pay out ....infact i may just say the first nail art is free as a special treatment then blah de blah price after that....as the clients abserloutly love it so i know they will want it again....that way i have prepared them to pay next time does this sound like a good idea do you think ?

I don't mind giving free rhinestones/diamontes out as they cost pennies and personally, I wouldn't wear them myself!!! It's just a nice touch for peeps!

bling nails said:
oh the stories i can tell you from clients who try to get freebies...it happened only tuesday morning, and on the phone! client called explaining she had had a gift voucher given by her mate who had bought it from my salon and could she book in, only she had lost the voucher and couldnt remember how much the voucher was for and when her friend had bought it. i asked her what her friends name was to see if it was one of the regular clients who had bought it. her reply was 'a friend of a friend had given it to her, cause her friend didn't want the voucher!:eek:

im sorry but she could have been any body trying to get a free set of nails.... NO VOUCHER - NO TREATMENT.
just goes to show how far some peeps will go to get a freebie!

OMG this happened to me today! A lady came in with a coupon from last year or more...before I was at this salon any how, and wanted me to honour the coupon she had save from the previous owner. Saved a coupon for $2 off! For over a year. We did not accept it. All of our gift certificates and coupons have "expires 6 months from date of purchase" You snooze you loose.

As for giving freebies...I am so guilty and stupid for falling for it. Like the little old ladies, such dears. Telling me they are alone and this is a treat for themselves to cheer them up...then I find out they are living in the most expensive retirement home in the area. Paying more a month than I make in 6 months. And yet they ask for a discount as they are "Seniors" drives me crazy. I have come to the realization that anyone that lives in my neighbour has to have money and so no more freebies. Specials yes but for everyone!

:)

I have a great friend who wanted to go into business with me and is my hairdresser. As I am due to move to UK soon I did not accept the offer.

However he has never given me any discounts or freebies, not that I expect this from him. I give him manicures and charge the full price. Our friendship is as close as ever and we keep that separate from the business side of things. I dont expect anything less :green:. LW

Thanks for this fantastic thread. I consider myself just starting out and havnt got much confidence. I feel that that I am better than a lot of techs here (ie Israel) but still not as good as I want to be or can be (or you lot). I am trying to get the confidence to get business cards etc done and therefore hopefully get some clients but until then I feel stupidly grateful to get anyone who will 'let' me do their nails. I have 1 woman who is driving me crazy, she breaks 1 or 2 nails and then soaks the whole lot off saying they annoyed her and when can I fit her in?! Shes done it twice. This thread is (slowly but surely) giving me more confidence and pride in what I have to offer. thanks xxx

YOu know what i have to agree about family being the worst customers, so far (my stupid fault i know) i have done 3 full sets on my mother in law, 3 sets on her foster daughter, one set and one rebalance and one full set gel toes to my sister in law, they treated them like absolutle crap banging them in cupboards, using them like screwdrivers etc!! :eek: :lol: REALLY!!!! i got so bloody sick of wasting my time and my products on the people who who dont value what i am doing for them, yes i appreciate them letting me practise on them but they justhad no appreciation back for me doing them and to be honest the nails were bloody good nails!!!
anyhoo i have since emailed them all telling them that now i am working in a nail salon i am doing better nails, quicker etc and i will need to start charging...well guess what???? they all PULLED there nails off!! im so mad with them it just goes to show doesnt it..:mad: :rolleyes:

I must really say. My clients are my best friends. I have some of my clients for 5 years now. They are my best friends, because I don't give them discounts. They know that I have to make a living that is why they stand by me and pay me.

I must say, if you have a client that really is in need off nails who doesn't have the money let them do something in return rather then doing it for free. I will explain.

I have a client who doesn't have money at all, but she is a hairdresser. I do her nails, she does my hair. If have nothing to do for her, I ask her if she will do my mothers hair for the next set of nails.

Another client of mine gave me her message bed for a few set of nails to be done.

But never ever do freebies!!! If your client doesn't like, you weren't supposed to have her as a client.

Portia said:
With my new found freedom of speech I'd like to let you know a cautionary tale :D

Geeg and others often tell us not to get too close to our Clients, to remember they are not our friends but people who use our services. We may develop a friendship with them over the years but don't take it too far. I know I'm a bit naughty for this, I've treated my clients like my best friends and it's come back to bite me on the backside on several occaisions.

I thought I would tell you about some of the things my clients have said, and things I have fallen for. These are not out of spite to my clients, but to serve as a warning to others newly starting out and perhaps prevent them from becoming to attached and getting stung or hurt.

There's the client who pleads poverty at every appointment, not looking for discounts etc. but generally mentions how money is tight - I'd fallen for it a couple of times and let her off repairs, or sold retail items at cheaper prices. Last week I saw her Husband driving round in his brand new car, a 5 series BMW no less!

The friend who moaned how short of money she was, so I did cheap sets and rebalances when I first trained. She has now left me to go back to the salon she used to use and pays more for a rebalance and single repair there, than I charged her for full sets and rebalances.

Anyone else fallen for sob stories only to find out later it's not strictly true?

This isn't designed to be a bitching session about your clients, but hopefully sharing situations might help others not fall into the same trap as we did.

Portia

Latest posts

Back