Don't know how to go about starting out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linziiddles

Reaction score
Heya Guys and Gals,

This is my first post on here, so i will introduce myself quickly.

My name is Linzi Iddles, I live in Southampton, I am 27 years old and married with 2 children of 4 years and 8 months.

I qualified in 2008 in Manicure and Pedicure at an evening course at college, and went on to do Nail technicians course in Acrylics after mani and pedi finished.

I mostly used my qualification to do friends and families nails and tbh haven't really taken it anywhere. Untill recently, I have found a new passion for nails, and i would LOVE to get out of the office and into a salon somewhere, or even go mobile.

I have been practicing like crazy the last few weeks, and i am very booked up with people letting me use them as guinea pigs, but have only had a few people pay me to do extensions. So am running at a loss atm. I don't mind, but it would be nice to be paid for what i am doing! lol.

So i am here to ask you gorgeous people for your advice.....I just don't know where to start!!! I work P/T in my office weds-fri, and a friend who rents a table in a salon has offered me the Monday and Tuesday as long as i improve on timings etc. I am working with NSI products at the moment, and no matter what i do i can't seem to stop it from lifting on people!! Even though i am following the instructions to the letter! Its driving me MAD!!!
I am hoping to do a course through sweet squared with CND and convert to cnd, and also brush up on my skills at the same time.

Oh good lord, i'm rambling.......so i guess what i am actually asking is, where did you ladies and gents start? Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

Luv Linzi. x

Firtly, big hi and welcome to Salon Geek :hug: You will find stacks of invaluable info here and no doubt make some amazing friends along the way :D

Can you possibly run through your prep routine hun - that is generally the biggest isue with lifting etc xxx

EDIT - check out the tutorial section too, superb stuff there and some amazing guides by Gigi Rouse ( aka Geeg ) on prep and such like well worth reading xx

Firtly, big hi and welcome to Salon Geek :hug: You will find stacks of invaluable info here and no doubt make some amazing friends along the way :D

Can you possibly run through your prep routine hun - that is generally the biggest isue with lifting etc xxx

EDIT - check out the tutorial section too, superb stuff there and some amazing guides by Gigi Rouse ( aka Geeg ) on prep and such like well worth reading xx
Thankyou very much!! I am finding this site a wealth of knowledge!!

erm.....lol. Ok, this is coming from the top of my head so excuse if there are a few errors, like i said, i am following the instructions atm to try and find out what i'm doing wrong. lol.

1. sanitize clients and my own nails and hands with NSI sanitize.

2. file nails if needed.

3. small blob of vanish cuticle cream on each nail. Trim cuticles and remove skin etc from nail bed.

4. clean off vanish with NSI cleanse.

5. remove excess shine with file from each nail.

6. dehydrate with nail pure plus, making each nail appear cloudy.

7. apply tips. tailor and thin out tips on the smile line.

8. apply primer to each nail.

I then go on to apply acrylic........

I think that's everything. lol. Please do let me know if i've missed anything obvious, its driving me loopy! And i'm very open to criticism......I do wonder if i'm using the wrong tips tbh, I have used the white tips before, but they have been off of ebay, so weren't nsi or anything. I am now using the NSI natural tips again though, so i'll see if this makes a difference.

Thanks again. :D

Could ti be that you are not removing the cuticle remover well enough hun? I use CND cutile eraser but have my clients wash their hands and give them a gentle going over with a nail brush to remove all of the cuticle eraser from in the nail folds and such otherwise i get no longevity out of my nails :D

Someone more experienced should be along soon to offer better advice hun :d xx

Thanks sweetie.

Its just so frustrating......i was having less problems with lifting when i was in training! And i didn't have a clue what i was doing then! lol. I will carry on regardless. :):hug:

hello just reading your thread thought i'd jump in to :)

As Brittone already said are you defently doing the cuticle work excatly be sure to remove evrything off the nail plate maybe you could get yourselve a currette which is just fab. Just a thought i don't use any remover before enhancements i do a dry prep only because if any of the remover product is left on nail can cause the product to lift. Maybe try 1 set of nails without the remover just a dry prep and be sure to get everything off the nail plate and see if that makes a difference.

As for starting out i found the best way i improved and learned so much more after my training was in salon where i worked with professionals and they taught me there ways and they were there if ever i had a problem. After a couple of months with working for them my nails really improved. I'm very grateful i had that opportunity. I worked on clients who new i was in training so they paid half price and new they had to be patient with me.

Good luck with starting out :hug:
xx

I might well do that actually, someone else had mentioned to me before about doing a 'wet' mani before applying acrylics, and i never thought about it as this is how i was taught in college. I will give it a go and see how they tirn out.

Thanks again!

Ok keep us up-dated on how they turn up. It's all worth a try hope it helps
xx

Thanks ladies, I will do. Ive got 5 full sets to do thursday and friday, so hopefully i will have a bit more luck with them. fingers crossed. I will stick some photies up once theyre done. :)

hi linz welcome to salon geek! like someone else said the tutorials are fab defo worth a look, its helped me so much more on here than being at college, and woo87 could i just ash about a dry prep, iv never done that before always used cnd cutical away, just wondered if you do dry prep will it not feel like you are scratching the nail plate?and will it not be hard to get the cuticle off? thanks and sorry linz for jumping in with another question!x

Hey huni i use nsi aswell i love them for lifting as the other geeks said is down to thourough prep work and removing all cuticle since i got myself a curette life has been bliss lol i always make sure and put vanish on work it round the cuticle and over entire nail then push the cuticle bck that way it gives enough time for vanish to work after pushed bck then use my curette to go right close to lateral folds and side walls then over the top of nail plate incase theres any cuticle left there then remove with cleanse then etch the nail again make sure u get right into sidewalls then scrub in nail pure plus then your primer and i havent had a problem with lifting since huni just b super meticulous with prep work and make sure your acrylic isnt touching the skin and u should be fine huni gd luck and post pics wen u can xxx

can i just ask what a curette is please??? lol. i thought they were for dental use!

Its a small little probe like instrument which u use in circular movements around the cuticle to remove it you can get it from s2 if you search for fingernailfixer cuticle work v2 on youtube she shows you how to do proper prep work and what a curette looms like lol xx

Look up 'Nail Angel' website and register on there. It has videos by NSI educators which will show you the correct way to use the product hon xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back