Double dipping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd also like to point out that guidelines are not policy or law. They are just a suggested way of doing something.

I suspect that in the U.K the guidelines are not mearly a statement of intention but also a statement of expectation. I know that in W.A at least that failure to follow these guidelines can lead to prosecution and fines. There is an industry Code of Practice that is covered under the Health Act. So basically the shop owner as well as the therapist can be prosecuted for not following the guidelines. I know that I am in Australia, but we need to be aware of the govt regulation and how they are applied in our area. Here is the website for any West Aussies on the site - WA Health - Public Health - Skin penetration
We are definately in a changing workplace.

Hi

I am NVQ trained and we were taught under no circumstances were we allowed to double dip. Therefore, since completing my training I have been using PhD wax. I have recently been asked to help out with some ITEC students and have noticed they have been redipping. Does anyone know if ITEC assessment requirements are different? I have read latest news from Habia, and they state you can redip on the same area unless you notice blood spots.

Thanks x

How many people re-use nail files, foot files, pedicure bowls or metal tools without sterlising (not sanitising)?

How can you we be sure that there is not a backflow of wax into a roller system or the PHD system?

Also doesnt everyone double dip their nail polish brushes or shellac brushes??

You cannot guarantee the wax flowing back into the cartridge with the roller system, but the PhD heads are designed so that once the wax has come out of the tube any excess will not flow back in. All heads are pre sealed individually in bags and should be put on the tube in front of the client, once used they are thrown away or changed if you are moving onto a different area.
x

My brazilian waxer uses dixie cups and a ladle. She dips the ladle into the pot, pours the wax into the dixie cup and double dips in the cup. That way each client requires one cup and one tongue depressor, the both of which are tossed after the treatment.

Well I noticed that when I went for my scans - my skin wasn't cleaned - the probe wasn't cleaned before OR after - just wiped with tissues. Did I really give it a second thought? - no - not till now. Am I worried that I will catch something? - not at all - I do not want OCD - because of scaremongering.

I'm with Kim on the proof needed. And yes no DD for intimate areas - but for a long long time wax has been used on legs - without any issues. If you go over with wax on an already waxed skin - this is where the contamination occurs - which looser does that anyway?

It became an issue - because scaring sells - always has and always will.

I think any beauty professional is more passionate about hygiene and client care - than most healthcare professionals. My opinion tho.

Ok, scaremongering is so not relevant to DD. It doesn't matter if it's just for intimate areas. Every esthetician should know that skin has an acid mantle that supports the life of good and some bad bacteria. Scooping that bacteria up and putting it in a warm cozy pot is clearly a health risk. What about people who get staph infections from hot tubs? Do people really think that it's not comparable? Staph from a hot tub, staph from a wax pot, staph is so easily transferred from person to person.

Not to mention hepatitis. People can bleed from waxing the hair on their legs and backs. Men can have very thick hair on their backs that can bleed from being waxed. Is it ok to double dip and get a chronic virus in your wax pot because you didn't care to spend the money on extra tongue depressors? Hepatitis can live outside the body for a long time and that is not something to be taken lightly.

As far as the sponge and file washing comment is concerned, that is just atrocious. If you are too lazy to properly disinfect your tools by 1)washing implements with anti microbial soap 2) soaking sponges and any other implements in a hospital grade disinfectant and 3) using a UV sterilizer, then you should find a new profession.

Since when are staph infections and viruses that are transmittable by blood such as hepatitis taken so lightly? No you aren't guaranteed to get a serious health problem like this, but is paying for a waxing service really worth the risk?

I work in a doctors office and I can guarantee that the metal implements are put in the autoclave and disinfected properly. Patient gowns are washed with bleach. Skin is always prepped, needles are disposed of properly and any doctors office or hospital that doesn't do its best to prevent the spreading of disease to their patients is not a place you should be probed at.

You cannot guarantee the wax flowing back into the cartridge with the roller system, but the PhD heads are designed so that once the wax has come out of the tube any excess will not flow back in. All heads are pre sealed individually in bags and should be put on the tube in front of the client, once used they are thrown away or changed if you are moving onto a different area.
x

Please could you explain to me how they are designed as it is a method I have thought about using but I dont see how there isnt a possible risk of it coing back in??

Why do you need to change them if moving onto a different area?? Does this mean if you go from legs to bikini to underarm you have to change the head??

Hi Maisiemouse,
There's a device built into the applicator head that prevents the wax flowing back into the tube. As far as I'm aware this is the only company on the market to have this.
There are different sized heads for different areas, hence changing the head. when moving on to a different area.
I have used this system quite a lot, but am not a massive fan. I prefer the rollers for ease of use and personally think they are more cost effective.
Linds x

Hi Maisiemouse,
There's a device built into the applicator head that prevents the wax flowing back into the tube. As far as I'm aware this is the only company on the market to have this.
There are different sized heads for different areas, hence changing the head. when moving on to a different area.
I have used this system quite a lot, but am not a massive fan. I prefer the rollers for ease of use and personally think they are more cost effective.
Linds x

Thank you for your reply, I have clients that have been waxed with this system by different therapists and havent been happy with it, I dont know if its the therapists technique or the wax. I think I will stick to my pot and spatula.

I am training with ITEC and we are taught to use a new spatula for each client for each separate part of the body, but for legs we are taught to double dip as its 'cost effective.'

Word on the (Axiom) street is that HABIA will soon be outlawing double dipping on any body part.

Let's face it, if you are being efficient at negotiating prices with your suppliers when buying in bulk, a spat will cost you around 1 pence. Even for the busiest of waxers, the cost per service is negligible.

You don't need heaters with seperate chambers for wax.......spatula's are cheap enough.

Good call..my spatulas here in NZ are 3 cents each so even If I used 100 on 1 client it's only $3 that I would need to include in my service 

What an interesting thread....

I have to say I use the PHd this is the only company to offer the device within the head ... I find it quick easy and clean no dripping everywhere.

I thought about the clean and easy or roller wax before the PHd and then realised that the head whether disposable or cleaned for each client the wax is still the same as it works on the principle of a roll on deoderant and the wax flicks back in on each roll....

Suppose the question is Would you share a roll on deoderant with a few ppl ?

I am i suppose anal about hygeine and all my nail clients have their own files with their names on in a bag so each time they come they have their own each time... They feel individual with this.

The new pedicure foot spa with disposable liners is next on my list!

My auntie goes to hospital for her hands in paraffin wax and they have to put a glove on before dippin in the parraffin which I think is great it means the hospitals are gettin more aware I heat the wax then pop it in a bowl lines with cling film then it pops in the bin xxxx

Im sure after this many of u guys think im mad!

If you are concerned about cross contamination Pot & Spat with no double dip is the safest and most cost effective method.

Roller waxing costs more per client as the wax is so much more expensive, and PhD is even more again. And with Roller, and PhD particularly you are very limited to the range / quality of waxes available to you.

I pay less then 1p a spatula (inc VAT), cost shouldn't be a factor here.

Mat

Latest posts

Back