Double dipping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi In reply to the US Wax Queen - I do totally appreciate what you are saying (however I understood that the wax was tested? I will have to dig out the article) and there are many avenues from which a staph infection could occur. I also can say that I never heard of a case when I was douple dipping either but that is not a reason not to better our practises!

I cannot see why we could not feasibly pass on an infection to a client especially if their immune system is vulnerable. We cannot be absolutely sure that the wax heaters would kill all the pathogens and if we think of all the possible bugs, fungi, bacteria and secretions that are present I know what I would rather do! The other thing is that we could be applying infected wax over areas that have been waxed and these areas are therefore more prone to infection.

Quite simply if we do not need to douple dip and take a risk - why do it?

ps I also heard of a case where a client got a load of verrucae on her feet after a wax pedicure - anyone for a paraffin dip?

We are a direct contact industry.It could go on and on and probably will because there is always someone to jump on the band wagon to make money.
Maybe i should be wearing gloves when i do a facial or a massage after all i could be touching lymph and sebum and allsorts.
I agree no double dipping when intimate,underarm,facial waxing or if you get blood spots,common sense really, but when i have to do it when i do leg waxing i think i just won't bother anymore because that really will be the beginning of a right load of crap for us all.
What really do we all think we are going to get for goodness sake.
Good therapists are not stupid and use common sense precautions which i would say have obviously worked or the beauty industry would have gone the same way as the health industry and we would have been accused of spreading a lot more and a lot more often and there would be a lot more recorded cases than just one recorded herpes case.

Hi In reply to the US Wax Queen - I do totally appreciate what you are saying (however I understood that the wax was tested? I will have to dig out the article) and there are many avenues from which a staph infection could occur. I also can say that I never heard of a case when I was douple dipping either but that is not a reason not to better our practises!

I cannot see why we could not feasibly pass on an infection to a client especially if their immune system is vulnerable. We cannot be absolutely sure that the wax heaters would kill all the pathogens and if we think of all the possible bugs, fungi, bacteria and secretions that are present I know what I would rather do! The other thing is that we could be applying infected wax over areas that have been waxed and these areas are therefore more prone to infection.

Quite simply if we do not need to douple dip and take a risk - why do it?

ps I also heard of a case where a client got a load of verrucae on her feet after a wax pedicure - anyone for a paraffin dip?

I agree with you 100 %

I always say that waxing is the most environmentally UNFRIENDLY treatment, what with the wooden spats and paper strips etc.

Back to double dipping though. I don't double dip on intimate waxing as I just wouldn't want it done on me. It's probably true that nothing can live in the wax that would harm us but it's just distasteful.

It's like a chef spitting in your food and then saying, 'Don't worry because I reheated it to a temperature that will have killed any germs'. Would you eat it?
Its nothing like a chef spitting in your food thats just rank!

Herpes cannot be transferred from a wax pot to a client. The herpes virus cannot survive long outside the body and requires skin to skin contact in order to be transferred. So the only way a client would be getting herpes from a salon is because they had sex with the technician.

Good therapists are not stupid and use common sense precautions which i would say have obviously worked or the beauty industry would have gone the same way as the health industry and we would have been accused of spreading a lot more and a lot more often and there would be a lot more recorded cases than just one recorded herpes case.

The beauty industry has differed from the health industry in that we rely on the client being free from any skin infections - however a client may breakout the next day with ringworm, impetigo etc and we cannot know this at the time. We massage and perform facials on skin free from contagious diseases and we sanitise before and after contact - however the wax if not heated to a temperature high enough with not kill any suspicious organisms. Therefore the wax is not sanistised for the next client.

With roller waxing we already have the means to wax hygienically. I only buy spatulas for brazilian waxing - I do not have to invest any extra at all so I do not really see the problem in offering this service as safe as I possibly can.

Thought I would share with you an older article on the subject.

--------------------------------------------------------
Waxing and cross-contamination.

The recent marketing campaign of a large beauty supplier has left many therapists doubting the health
and safety of a number of tried and tested waxing methods. The FHT looks at why GOOD PRACTICE is
the key to preventing cross-contamination when waxing, and not the type of applicator …

Last year, a leading beauty supplier introduced 'Captain Contamination'
to the industry - an ugly little cartoon character who can be seen on the
company's website, swimming around in wax pots and being squashed onto a hairy limb by a roll-on
applicator. The Captain's role is to apparently highlight the potential dangers of cross-contamination when
waxing. Other beauty suppliers, however, argue that the Captain is simply a marketing
tool, designed to promote (and potentially scare therapists into buying) a new product which
is claimed to be: "the ONLY waxing system in the world to eliminate the chance of cross-contamination".
But to what extent can any waxing system truly "eliminate" the chance of cross-contamination?

The importance of good practice When considering the issue of crosscontamination, it is important to remember that the therapist's attitude towards hygiene plays a very important role - perhaps one more important than that of the applicator or product itself. A waxing system only has the potential to 'eliminate' the risk of crosscontamination
if the therapist also:

• wears protective gloves throughout the treatment
• washes his/her hands with an antibacterial wash before and after touching the client's skin
• washes his/her hands or wears new gloves before applying after-wax lotion
• ensures that other items used (such as tweezers) have been properly sterilised.

If the therapist fails to carry out the precautions listed above, then the client may be at an increased risk of cross-contamination, regardless of how 'foolproof' the waxing system is claimed to be.

Different waxing systems

Today, there is a wide and almost bewildering range of waxing systems available to the professional beauty therapist, all offering a unique attribute that apparently sets them apart from the rest. However, pretty packaging and 'its-the-only-one-ofits- kind' aside, the majority of these waxing systems fall into two basic categories:

the 'wax pot' or the 'wax cartridge'.

The wax pot and spatula method
When using a standard wax pot system, the wax is taken from a pot and applied to the client with the use of disposable spatulas. In many respects, this is one of the most traditional and widely tried and tested waxing methods known to the beauty industry.

However, in recent years, the 'trusty' wax pot has received some bad publicity in terms of cross-contamination, as Ian Watson from Environmental Health (City of Westminster) explained to the FHT:

A survey within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets found that a quarter of the wax samples taken from 16 salons contained hair, blood, raised colony counts (bacteria) as well as pseudomonas species - all of which could potentially lead to crosscontamination."

It didn't take Environmental Health Officers long to determine the root of the problem: poor practice. The beauty therapists working at the 4 salons in question had been re-dipping used (contaminated) spatulas back into the wax pot - an un-hygienic practise at the best of times, but especially so when treating underarm or bikini areas that are prone to bleeding and rife with bacteria.

Environmental Health therefore underlines that therapists using the wax pot/ spatula method:

"can minimise the risk of cross-contamination by ensuring that:

• spatulas are never re-dipped into the wax pot after use [e.g. after the
spatula has come into contact with the client's or therapist's skin. A new
spatula should be used every time more wax is required]

• splashes or spillages of wax are cleaned up immediately after treatment and the wax heater is disinfected

• hot wax is not sieved and re-heated

• wax strips are treated as clinical waste

• personal hygiene is maintained throughout the treatment [which
includes wearing disposable gloves]."

This is the method taught for all VTCT waxing qualifications and agrees with the Industry Code of Practice for Hygiene in Salons and Clinics, which all FHT Members receive when joining the Federation.
If preferred, therapists may wish to transfer wax from a larger pot into smaller, sterile pots. This allows the therapist to use a spatula more than once on an individual client, providing that any wax remaining in the smaller pot is disposed of after treatment.

Please note: the wax pot/ spatula method remains a safe and very effective means of removing unwanted hair, providing that the therapist is particular about hygienic practice.

The wax cartridge

Most wax cartridge systems comprise of hand-held units that have one of two types of applicator heads:

• a roller head (which is replaceable or
disposable), or

• a wide, flat nozzle or similar (which is
usually disposable).

Whether or not contamination can pass from the client's skin back into the wax cartridge during the course of a treatment remains a hot topic of debate. Some beauty suppliers claim that their product's applicator heads have a built-in mechanism that prevents any 'flow-back' (e.g. wax cannot re-enter the cartridge once it has been expelled). If this is the case, then any partused wax cartridges should remain contamination-free for the next client, provided that the applicator head is removed and a new and/or clean and sterile one is attached immediately after treatment. However, if therapists are in any doubt,they should use a new wax cartridge and a new applicator head for each client.

Whilst this approach might seem a little uneconomical, therapists should bear in mind that the cost of wax cartridges and applicator heads is minimal, and that their client's health is priceless.

To the best of FHT's knowledge, no independent studies have been conducted into, or raised concerns about, crosscontamination
and the wax cartridge systems outlined above (e.g. those wax cartridges that have replaceable/ disposable applicator heads). Concerns have been raised, however, about the multiple use of wax cartridges that have fixed applicator heads which cannot be replaced after treatment (e.g. single-unit applicators similar to roll-on deodorants). For this reason, cartridges with fixed applicator heads should ideally only be used to treat
one client.

Providing good aftercare advice FHT's Insurance underwriters have yet to
settle a claim - in or outside of court - arising from an incident of
cross-contamination through waxing.

When a claim involving a waxing treatment does arise, it
is usually because claimants have not followed
the aftercare advice given by the therapist. This is why it is extremely
important to provide your client with written aftercare advice.

Clients should be asked to sign a section of their consultation form to acknowledge they have received an aftercare leaflet, and that they have read and understood the content. Therapists should stress to their clients that if they do not carry through the aftercare advice given, they may develop askin infection/ reaction.

Some final pointers …

Some therapists believe that the odd oversight will not matter, because
microorganisms are unlikely to survive in the wax environment. This is not necessarily the case. According to Ian Watson, "the working temperature of wax is normally in the range of 20-50°C, which is the ideal range for bacterial growth."

NO waxing system can 'eliminate' the risk of cross-infection. Any product or technique is only as good as the therapist carrying out the treatment.

http://www.fht.org.uk/MainWebSite/Homepage7b0de317.aspx?Map=D0FAF8ABDB6468501877A861B18CD4BAhttp://www.fht.org.uk/Mai...BDB6468501877A861B18CD4BA

--------------------------------------------------------------
Aftercare Instructions for Waxing
· Do - apply antiseptic cream to treated areas 3 times in the 24 hours following treatment.
· Do - if your skin feels hot after treatment, bathe with a cold salt water solution regularly in the
hours following treatment, this reduces inflammation and speeds up the healing process. (Add
half a teaspoon of salt to one cup of boiling water and chill).
· Do - apply sun block daily to prevent sunlight from interfering with the healing process for 2-3
days following treatment.
· Do - wear loose clothing.
· Do Not - expose the skin to sun, sunlight or sunbeds for 48 hours.
· Do Not - use a steamroom, sauna or any heat treatment for 24 hours.
· Do Not - have a bath or shower for 24 hours.
· Do Not - swim in chlorinated water for 24 hours.
· Do Not - do aerobics or any exercise for 24 hours.
· Do Not - apply any heat or friction to the skin whatsoever.
· Do Not - apply any moisturisers or body lotions, other than those recommended by your
therapist for 24 hours.
· Do Not - apply body sprays or deodorants or perfume for 24 hours.
· Do Not - apply talc, make up or false tan for 24 hours.
· Do Not - wear tights, leggings, or tight fitting clothing for 24 hours.
· Do Not - massage the area for 24 hours.
Most people find the hair will start to re-grow within 7-10 days following treatment. The hair needs
to be a certain length in order to successfully remove it by waxing. Allow 4 weeks before your next
treatment. Immediately after treatment, the area may be red or slightly inflamed, we apply a cooling
lotion after the treatment

A survey within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets found that a quarter of the wax samples taken from 16 salons contained hair, blood, raised colony counts (bacteria) as well as pseudomonas species - all of which could potentially lead to crosscontamination."

It didn't take Environmental Health Officers long to determine the root of the problem: poor practice. The beauty therapists working at the 4 salons in question had been re-dipping used (contaminated) spatulas back into the wax pot - an un-hygienic practise at the best of times, but especially so when treating underarm or bikini areas that are prone to bleeding and rife with bacteria.

Environmental Health therefore underlines that therapists using the wax pot/ spatula method:

• splashes or spillages of wax are cleaned up immediately after treatment and the wax heater is disinfected

Coincidentally, my sister works in the Environmental Health (EH) dept of Tower Hamlets council and I've just spoken with her about this info you've found. I've emailed the head of EH and I've asked to meet with him to discuss this at length.

I'm also contacting the local sexual health clinic and I'm going to ask them to do tests.

I'll feed back once I have some info.

I DON'T double dip on intimate waxing but I'm not convinced of the dangers.....I do it to be on the safe side and I find it distasteful. There are a lot of things in life that can potentially damage a persons health but rarely do. We need facts not just the personal views of a professional based on what 'could' happen. You could go to another Borough and get different results.

As an aside, I accompanied a friend this month when she had a small mole removed. She went to a Professor who is a leader is cosmetic surgery. He invited me into the room and explained to me in detail how he was cutting off the mole and then cortorising (sp) it. The whole procedure was carried out with him NOT wearing gloves. I doubt he would put himself at risk.

Thought I would share with you an older article on the subject.

--------------------------------------------------------
Waxing and cross-contamination.

The recent marketing campaign of a large beauty supplier has left many therapists doubting the health
and safety of a number of tried and tested waxing methods. The FHT looks at why GOOD PRACTICE is
the key to preventing cross-contamination when waxing, and not the type of applicator …

Last year, a leading beauty supplier introduced 'Captain Contamination'
to the industry - an ugly little cartoon character who can be seen on the
company's website, swimming around in wax pots and being squashed onto a hairy limb by a roll-on
applicator. The Captain's role is to apparently highlight the potential dangers of cross-contamination when
waxing. Other beauty suppliers, however, argue that the Captain is simply a marketing
tool, designed to promote (and potentially scare therapists into buying) a new product which
is claimed to be: "the ONLY waxing system in the world to eliminate the chance of cross-contamination".
But to what extent can any waxing system truly "eliminate" the chance of cross-contamination?

The importance of good practice When considering the issue of crosscontamination, it is important to remember that the therapist's attitude towards hygiene plays a very important role - perhaps one more important than that of the applicator or product itself. A waxing system only has the potential to 'eliminate' the risk of crosscontamination
if the therapist also:

• wears protective gloves throughout the treatment
• washes his/her hands with an antibacterial wash before and after touching the client's skin
• washes his/her hands or wears new gloves before applying after-wax lotion
• ensures that other items used (such as tweezers) have been properly sterilised.

If the therapist fails to carry out the precautions listed above, then the client may be at an increased risk of cross-contamination, regardless of how 'foolproof' the waxing system is claimed to be.

Different waxing systems

Today, there is a wide and almost bewildering range of waxing systems available to the professional beauty therapist, all offering a unique attribute that apparently sets them apart from the rest. However, pretty packaging and 'its-the-only-one-ofits- kind' aside, the majority of these waxing systems fall into two basic categories:

the 'wax pot' or the 'wax cartridge'.

The wax pot and spatula method
When using a standard wax pot system, the wax is taken from a pot and applied to the client with the use of disposable spatulas. In many respects, this is one of the most traditional and widely tried and tested waxing methods known to the beauty industry.

However, in recent years, the 'trusty' wax pot has received some bad publicity in terms of cross-contamination, as Ian Watson from Environmental Health (City of Westminster) explained to the FHT:

This is the method taught for all VTCT waxing qualifications and agrees with the Industry Code of Practice for Hygiene in Salons and Clinics, which all FHT Members receive when joining the Federation.
If preferred, therapists may wish to transfer wax from a larger pot into smaller, sterile pots. This allows the therapist to use a spatula more than once on an individual client, providing that any wax remaining in the smaller pot is disposed of after treatment.

Please note: the wax pot/ spatula method remains a safe and very effective means of removing unwanted hair, providing that the therapist is particular about hygienic practice.

The wax cartridge

Most wax cartridge systems comprise of hand-held units that have one of two types of applicator heads:

• a roller head (which is replaceable or
disposable), or

• a wide, flat nozzle or similar (which is
usually disposable).

Whether or not contamination can pass from the client's skin back into the wax cartridge during the course of a treatment remains a hot topic of debate. Some beauty suppliers claim that their product's applicator heads have a built-in mechanism that prevents any 'flow-back' (e.g. wax cannot re-enter the cartridge once it has been expelled). If this is the case, then any partused wax cartridges should remain contamination-free for the next client, provided that the applicator head is removed and a new and/or clean and sterile one is attached immediately after treatment. However, if therapists are in any doubt,they should use a new wax cartridge and a new applicator head for each client.

Whilst this approach might seem a little uneconomical, therapists should bear in mind that the cost of wax cartridges and applicator heads is minimal, and that their client's health is priceless.

To the best of FHT's knowledge, no independent studies have been conducted into, or raised concerns about, crosscontamination
and the wax cartridge systems outlined above (e.g. those wax cartridges that have replaceable/ disposable applicator heads). Concerns have been raised, however, about the multiple use of wax cartridges that have fixed applicator heads which cannot be replaced after treatment (e.g. single-unit applicators similar to roll-on deodorants). For this reason, cartridges with fixed applicator heads should ideally only be used to treat
one client.

Providing good aftercare advice FHT's Insurance underwriters have yet to
settle a claim - in or outside of court - arising from an incident of
cross-contamination through waxing.

When a claim involving a waxing treatment does arise, it
is usually because claimants have not followed
the aftercare advice given by the therapist. This is why it is extremely
important to provide your client with written aftercare advice.

Clients should be asked to sign a section of their consultation form to acknowledge they have received an aftercare leaflet, and that they have read and understood the content. Therapists should stress to their clients that if they do not carry through the aftercare advice given, they may develop askin infection/ reaction.

Some final pointers …

Some therapists believe that the odd oversight will not matter, because
microorganisms are unlikely to survive in the wax environment. This is not necessarily the case. According to Ian Watson, "the working temperature of wax is normally in the range of 20-50°C, which is the ideal range for bacterial growth."

NO waxing system can 'eliminate' the risk of cross-infection. Any product or technique is only as good as the therapist carrying out the treatment.

http://www.fht.org.uk/Mai...BDB6468501877A861B18CD4BA

--------------------------------------------------------------
Aftercare Instructions for Waxing
· Do - apply antiseptic cream to treated areas 3 times in the 24 hours following treatment.
· Do - if your skin feels hot after treatment, bathe with a cold salt water solution regularly in the
hours following treatment, this reduces inflammation and speeds up the healing process. (Add
half a teaspoon of salt to one cup of boiling water and chill).
· Do - apply sun block daily to prevent sunlight from interfering with the healing process for 2-3
days following treatment.
· Do - wear loose clothing.
· Do Not - expose the skin to sun, sunlight or sunbeds for 48 hours.
· Do Not - use a steamroom, sauna or any heat treatment for 24 hours.
· Do Not - have a bath or shower for 24 hours.
· Do Not - swim in chlorinated water for 24 hours.
· Do Not - do aerobics or any exercise for 24 hours.
· Do Not - apply any heat or friction to the skin whatsoever.
· Do Not - apply any moisturisers or body lotions, other than those recommended by your
therapist for 24 hours.
· Do Not - apply body sprays or deodorants or perfume for 24 hours.
· Do Not - apply talc, make up or false tan for 24 hours.
· Do Not - wear tights, leggings, or tight fitting clothing for 24 hours.
· Do Not - massage the area for 24 hours.
Most people find the hair will start to re-grow within 7-10 days following treatment. The hair needs
to be a certain length in order to successfully remove it by waxing. Allow 4 weeks before your next
treatment. Immediately after treatment, the area may be red or slightly inflamed, we apply a cooling

lotion after the treatment

This reply is the best and I think any consciencous therapist should SHOULD be convinced that double dipping is a defo no no if they care about their clients:hug::hug:

As an aside, I accompanied a friend this month when she had a small mole removed. She went to a Professor who is a leader is cosmetic surgery. He invited me into the room and explained to me in detail how he was cutting off the mole and then cortorising (sp) it. The whole procedure was carried out with him NOT wearing gloves. I doubt he would put himself at risk.

I would not take this example as a code of good practise. I worked for a surgeon for several years and they can be notorious - he used to come into the office from theatre in his operating greens (and go into the hospital canteen!), plus notes used to come back from the office with blood stains on and they did not always wash their hands before patient contact!!!! I expect if you read the NHS guidelines this would not be acceptable practise. :)

Coincidentally, my sister works in the Environmental Health (EH) dept of Tower Hamlets council and I've just spoken with her about this info you've found. I've emailed the head of EH and I've asked to meet with him to discuss this at length.

I'm also contacting the local sexual health clinic and I'm going to ask them to do tests.

I'll feed back once I have some info.

I DON'T double dip on intimate waxing but I'm not convinced of the dangers.....I do it to be on the safe side and I find it distasteful. There are a lot of things in life that can potentially damage a persons health but rarely do. We need facts not just the personal views of a professional based on what 'could' happen. You could go to another Borough and get different results.

It will be interesting to see what you find out. I think this article is from 2006 although I can not remember. I did leave the link the where the article was found so you can look there.

You may not be convinced, but you do not have proof otherwise, with no proof all Therapists should take precautions. If not for yourself, but for your clients.

As for the dr not using gloves, sorry, he is just careless. A procedure like that he should be wearing gloves. As therapists we know the dangers of blood-borne pathogens, HPV is a life threatening blood-borne pathogen and although not so common it can be caught through casual contact. If he had a cut, or a hang nail he could have been infected if your friend was a carrier. As a Physician he should know this inside and out and it is just shocking to me that he would not glove up. If people thought with their heads maybe we would not have so many sexually transmitted diseases. My point, just because he did not use gloves does not mean he was not putting himself at risk.

Here is a link for a leaflet from the HSE called Blood-borne virus's in the workplace.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg342.pdf

You need a pdf file reader to open it.

Looking forward to hearing what you find out!

Hey, would just like to say that I am pleased that there are other therapists out there that are as passionate about hygiene standards in the beauty industry!! I believe that as therapists we should be pro-active rather than reactive!! Often with diseases there is a lapse between symptoms and contraction. In the past people may have not put two and two together, but people are much more aware of general hygiene. Do we need any of our clients or ourselves as therapists to come down with something to change our practices?:rolleyes:

Before I get taken out of context, I'd like to explain that I am not saying that I'm not convinced because I think that double dipping is ok to do. I don't double dip on Intimate areas and I teach my students to NOT double dip. I'm merely opening this up for discussion and asking to see the results of the tests.

I don't feel that there is enough evidence to prove that it is dangerous to double dip on legs.

All too often, professionals, such as Environmental Health officers will cover their own arse by giving a blanket answer and advising people not to do something.

I simply want to see the results of tests carried out by them, that's all. You'll see from my previous posts that I still wouldn't double dip on intimate areas even if it is safe to do so as I find it distasteful.

The point I'm trying to make here is where do we draw the line. I was shopping today in the sales and it made me think about how many people try the same item of clothing on......that's after it's been stamped on and been laying on the floor for God knows how long. How do we know they haven't got ringworm, scabies, pubic lice etc etc.

There was a case of a lady who caught pubic lice from a strippers underpants that he threw into the audience and they hit her in the eye and it became infected. Turns out that a lice had attached itself to her eyelash........laughable really and you couldn't make it up.

Of course we all want to work clean and most of us do. The dirty ones will continue to work dirty whatever the policy and standards are.

The next thing it'll be that a new foot file will have to be used for each client. Nail polish will have to be decanted and a new brush used for each client. New sponges for facial clients.

Therapists are hit by enough outlay with insurance and licenses so the last thing they need are new standards and policies that are just going to cost them more money that they can't afford and is really not going to make much difference to the public's wellbeing.

Anyway....I digress. Of course I understand your point; just want proof and not scare mongering.

I did not get the impression that you were taken out of context. Healthy discussions are good. Facial sponges and foot files should be sterilised if they are not disposable - that should be practised anyway. Hands/nails can be sanitised with sprays before polish is applied. What is concerning me is that although some may already not DD on brazilians but they still are for other services and if you use the same wax pot there is no point not DD! All I think is that we should safe guard what we do as much as we can. Look at Doctors surgeries now - there never used to be hand gel dispensers until recently but we know it could help cut down infections. :lol:

Well I noticed that when I went for my scans - my skin wasn't cleaned - the probe wasn't cleaned before OR after - just wiped with tissues. Did I really give it a second thought? - no - not till now. Am I worried that I will catch something? - not at all - I do not want OCD - because of scaremongering.

I'm with Kim on the proof needed. And yes no DD for intimate areas - but for a long long time wax has been used on legs - without any issues. If you go over with wax on an already waxed skin - this is where the contamination occurs - which looser does that anyway?

It became an issue - because scaring sells - always has and always will.

I think any beauty professional is more passionate about hygiene and client care - than most healthcare professionals. My opinion tho.

After reading this, I'm quite shocked to see that I was taught to double dip while doing legs, facial and underarms, unless I see blood spotting then use another spatula. I must admit I don't DD when doing bikini but I do when doing legs and eyebrows. Please don't shout at me, this is how I was taught at college a year and a half ago and when I got my first job in a spa they didn't tell me any different so I didn't know.

I am very clean and hygenic, and thoroughly sanitise everything so don't think I am a "dirty" therapist I just didn't know the rules had changed. I do think that like Kim until I see the results for these tests I will continue to DD for the legs at least, or at least until I get the Clean and Easy roller wax which I am soon.

I have been reading this thread from the start with interest, but feel no more comfortable as I guess as a student I want a final conclusion and ultimate rule and it does not look like there is one no matter how much time and effort as professionals you are putting in to this, and I thank you for you honesty and time spent on the subject.

I am at collage now doing an itec and we are taught that double dipping is standard practice on everywhere other than bikini, (and I have to be honest up untill two years ago a large chain of high street Hairdressers/Beauticians that I used for waxing always double dipped and hot wax was never an option, only strip wax, so it was the same wax for everyone, everywhere - pretty disgusting now I have more knowledge. In acutual fact when this chain then changed to roller waxing, the therapist went on to give me a patter perfect sales lecture as to how disgusting and probably germ ridden the OLD pot method was - LOL the one she had used on me the month before!!!.

I have asked if my tutor if it is possible for her to clarify that this is deffinately correct as I feel uncomfortable double dipping for an exam. I am told the examiners expect you to double dip and in fact it would be seen as a waste of consumables that could not be justified if we did not double dip - Hmm?

At collage, we have to provide every single thing ourselves and so as its my wax and I have little control over the clients that come in and the situation I am placed in at the collage sallon - my wax, my wax pots, my consumables and its the same wax that I am using on myself and my nearest and dearest so I don't ever double dip. Just a personal thing thats all. I have little professional experience obviously as I am learning but I just think if I don't want to use wax that is double dipped because I am just not sure and the jury is out on ultimate rule that someone can tell me regarding double dipping; it must be down to each and everyone to practice what they feel is right for them. I just know as a student I feel uncomfortable and would like an ultimate clarification because it has been raised by a couple people I have waxed as case studies (both of which are in the medical profession - would be), but I don't think that will ever happen and already as some of the therapist have rightly pointed out we are all working to achieve a very high standard and striving to represent ourselves and the industry as best we possibly can.

But having said that I do have to agree with some points raised: Firstly, where will it stop as I can see some bright spark saying that next about double dipping the brush in gel or nail polish is unacceptable - that's why there needs to be an ultimate clarification and a sensible one based on scientific proof not scaremongering. Secondly, my son has to attend a lot of hospital appointments sometimes weekly for procedures to be carried out, and yes almost everytime something happens or I see something that makes me feel very uncomfortable especially as I have to be very careful of infection for him so contamination is of paramount importance. Medics have very strick guide lines to work to and they lapse, deffinately and often, but I know one thing for sure I will now always say if I am not happy and will refuse treatment from that individual if need be. At the end of the day everyone can vote with their feet.

Please don't take anything I have said as meant as offensive or judgemental, I am training and would not class my self as a professional yet, just trying hard, and I do appreciate all of you excellent comments and respect your views. Thanks x

Last edited:
I'd also like to point out that guidelines are not policy or law. They are just a suggested way of doing something.

One thing I find non-sensical is that therapists think it is OK to double dip on some areas but not others. If you are using the same wax pot you are still conceivably passing on potential nasties. I appreciate what people say when they mention where will it all end and will we have to practise aseptic techniques but when we wax we are taking skin cells off and leaving the skin in a more vulnerable condition - red and sometimes with blood spotting making infection more likely. We do need a definite test on what lurks in the wax pot - how many bacteria breed etc, etc but I know I would much prefer to go to a therapist that does not double dip and if we are honest I think we would all like that.

I also notice there is a safe salon organisation I read about that verifies trained, competent therapists - we are on our way to be governed by public health in the future.

Latest posts

Back