Drag queen makeup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becky30

Reaction score
Has anyone got any tips on this. We have been approached by a part time drag queen who is just starting out in that industry and wants us to give him a lesson on how to apply make up. Now we know how to do this on woman, but has anyone ever done this to a man before? Do we need special makeup? I'm assuming he doesn't want his eyebrows waxing as he is a straight business man during the day, so how would we do this?
Any tips would greatly appreciated.
X

I would say yes you would need stage make up if he is a performing artist because you will need strength of colour and longevity under hot lights and stress conditions.Normal makeup will probably not withstand too much perspiration and will probably not cover beard shadow too well if he has any.

Do you mean he is going to work as a drag queen in a cabaret or something?

J

Kryolan make up is awesome or this, their TV Paint Stick us used by a lot if trannies and drag queens. It is a super thick grease based foundation. Great for working under lights and hiding shadow.

They also make a Brow Wax ... You use this to hide their brows and then you draw fake ones higher up the face. Big bold bright eyes with lots I eye shadow / colour.

Also excentuate the lips with liner and then colour them in.

Also fake lashes, removable strip lashes.

Google images of drag queens, you will see some ideas.

Mat

Thank you so much guys. I'm quite looking forward to this!!!
Yeah, he's just starting out as a drag queen. He's already been on cruise ships with his act and has various others lined up. He's only been doing it 6 months but wants to learn how to do make up. I don't think many people know about his second job!

Oh I'm jealous - I did a bit of drag make up on one of my courses and I'd LOVE to do some more! So much fun. You can really play with colour and glitter! Illamasqua did a drag workshop a while back and I really was tempted to book on it, but I wasn't sure if it was for MUAs or for drag queens themselves, so I didn't do it.

You will probably want to block out their eyebrows and cover over and draw them in, drag brows are generally higher and drawn on.

Take a look at pinkstylist on youtube, he recently did a brilliant drag tutorial. I haven't been watching him that long but I'm sure he has others, he does a lot of creative stuff with bald caps and latex etc. Really talented, but I digress.... he also has videos on blocking out brows etc with spirit gum and wax. Also there's tutorials on youtube for doing this with pritstick type glue sticks. When I was on my course we used soap but I didn't think this worked as well as glue.

Post some pics if you can, I'd love to see it!

Latest posts

Back