Dreaded Greenies.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artsy Canadian

Reaction score
Well, I am stumped.....a client came to me today with a greenie on her pinkie nail. She said it popped up about a week ago. I just can't wrap my head around what is causing it! I have posted before about it (a few months ago) and no matter how much I read about them, I can't figure out what the possible cause of her spots are, or why she is so prone to them. (this doesn't happen on ANY of my clients but this one!)
I felt stupid today as I saw her, and didn't have any explaination for her.

I need a moral boost please......

don't beat yourself up some people are just prone no matter what, especially if they are lifters. How often does she come in for her rebalance? Maybe she could come sooner. Sorry I can't help you more.

Most Greenie is due to moisture trapped between the nailbed and the material. Water carries bacteria. The best thing I have found is to remove the nail, file very gently away the greenie and apply alcohol and allow to air dry.

Instruct the client to watch for lifting and if she see's any, to soak the nail or swab it with alcohol.

I have a client who is prone to fungus. She has it on her toes and nails. Depending on her hormonal levels determines how often she gets it. Some times she goes months without anything and then one day for not reason (no lifting) she has a green spot underneath. With this type of greenie, The client needs to take a oral medication to treat it along with the external treatment (so her doctors says)

It could be with this client that she has naturally oily nail plates, so if she gets a little pocket lift, which can be hard to see, she will then have a classic place for the greenie to start growing.

I have one client who does seem to be prone to them too, especially as none of my other clients have this problem. This same client does like to stick her nails back on if she knocks it and loses one, rather than tell me about it, which is very infuriating as i have told her, this can also cause the bacteria to start again!

You just can't tell some clients though. I would just make sure you do as much as you can when sanitising and then tell her she must let you know if she gets any lift what so ever to see you.

you wont be able to remove the green stain using a file......but it will lighten the green a little, be very gentle and don't try to use your file like a eraser. Once the air gets to it and you have used scrub-fresh or equivalent it will die...the green is just the stain thats left over....you are fine to overlay again over the stain but just keep an eye in case it gets darker or bigger...then remove again.

I had a client that had 2 and it was cos she had been picking at her nails...leaving bits on that she could quite get off and the water would get trapped under...as soon as she stopped picking they went away and didn't come back......it took a good 2 months for the stain to grow out, so after her french overlays i used a enamel to hide it a bit more.

you wont be able to remove the green stain using a file......but it will lighten the green a little, be very gentle and don't try to use your file like a eraser. Once the air gets to it and you have used scrub-fresh or equivalent it will die...the green is just the stain thats left over....you are fine to overlay again over the stain but just keep an eye in case it gets darker or bigger...then remove again.

This is whta i was going to say, also some pocket lifts can hide quite well so when it comes to an infill, make sure you really examine each nail as you work on it, making sure there are no lifts, even down to a tiny bubble in the middle of the nail, rotating the nail while you look at it head on shows up areas of lift quite well. my point is if you seal in an area of lift, and effectively block the air, this is the perfect breading ground, as already said above, once the air hits it, the bacteria dies, so if you miss a lift and 'trap' it, by overlaying with L&P it will start to breed, and quite fast as well!!

Always soak off and start again....not much else to say really...

Thanks everyone. I feel better now. It's just frustrating. I did remove the acrylic and lightly filed the stain and applied scrubfresh before re-appplying so it should stop growing bigger now. Just has to grow out. too bad she's leaving for Vacation with it.
Thanks again

Latest posts

Back