Dry Cuts....?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
Hi, in my salon I don't offer dry cuts. From a hairdressers point of view i think it is not the best way to cut hair and if I had my own way I would only do cut and blow dries.

However, recently we've had a lot of requests for dry cuts. Not just recently, but since I opened the salon in August. a few people I have been able to talk into getting a wet cut (which I count as shampooing the hair and cutting but not the blow dry) but most don't book in when they are told we don't do dry cuts.

From a business point of view, I can see that I'm losing clients but from my professional point of view, I don't like them!!! What should I do? Bite the bullet and do it, or stick to my guns and lose out on clients?

I absolutely loathe dry cuts BUT we do, do them. If I didn't I would loose a large chunk of my clientèle. I have my salon in a seaside town, so we get a lot of day trippers in the summer wanting a dry cut.
I always offer them a CBD and explain they will get a better cut this way, quite a few then will go for this option. If they don't, then I explain that I cannot guarantee that it will be my best work and I will only do the cut if they have clean hair. If they have dirty hair and won't have it washed, I then refuse them. This doesn't happen very often.

What you have to think is that regular dry cut could be converted into a CBD, colour or extensions etc eventually.

i just feel like its not my best work but i do see the business side of things. the salon i worked in before was in an affluent area, and the salon i have now is in a less affluent area, so i am getting a lot more people in for dry cuts. I charge £24 for a cut and blow dry, and £18 for a wash and cut, and was thinking £15 for a dry cut but had one woman turn her nose up at this on saturday...is that too much or is it just someone being stingy? just re doing price lists now. x

I agree, I hate dry cuts. I never cut dry when I work freelance but we do offer them in the salon I work at part time. Even then I damp the hair with water. If you really don't want to do them I would stick to your decision and explain to clients that you will get a better haircut if the hair is washed and maybe then just rough dried. Some clients just want a quick cheap haircut without the hassle of getting it washed. Good Luck:)

I think it depend on your area. I only charge £9 for a dry cut. I charge £12.50 for a wash and cut and from £18.50 for a CBD.

Oh, how I long for my days back in the South! 10 years ago I was charging £21 for a dry cut!!

so you are about double for a cut and blow dry then than your dry cuts. so that would take me to £12...i might make it £14. hmm....something to think about. thanks x

i just feel like its not my best work but i do see the business side of things. the salon i worked in before was in an affluent area, and the salon i have now is in a less affluent area, so i am getting a lot more people in for dry cuts. I charge £24 for a cut and blow dry, and £18 for a wash and cut, and was thinking £15 for a dry cut but had one woman turn her nose up at this on saturday...is that too much or is it just someone being stingy? just re doing price lists now. x

We charge £24.50 for a wash cut and blowdry so similar to you. For dry cuts we charge £16.50. It's then £18 for a wash and cut so it's easier to talk them into having it washed for an extra £1.50 although they don't get it blowdried. Then for a restyle it's £28.50.

I have never done dry cuts, if the clients hair is clean I will spray it till its wet, or they can have it washed. You just have to tell them that you cant cut dry hair properly.

I cut mens hair dry if asked. I charge 17.50 for it. My cut and blow dry is 45 and wash and cut is 27.50.
Dry cuts on women? I stick to my guns and say no. They would be walking out of my salon looking like crap. If they want a cheap hack off job they can go elsewhere.

Hi, I absolutely love doing dry cuts , I can cut hair wet or dry makes no difference to me as I know they will both be just as good when its washed and most customers understand this,

I usually water spray the hair lightly so no one needs to go out looking bad at all ,
but my preference is cutting it dry, probably because I do barbering too
and guys nearly always have it cut dry ,

I find if I cut hair wet you always have to leave it slightly longer , especially the fringe area ,

But ..... I suppose its what your preference is and what you are used to
I was trained very strictly how to do both

the message we were given by the salon trainer is that a good hairdresser can cut a dry head of hair just as good as a wet head of hair
and we were made to do loads of dry cuts until they were perfected

I find a couple of dry cuts great for those little empty space in the appointment book .
I love dry cuts and I definitely wouldn't turn them away as i my eyes they are quick and easy

so if your booked up and you cant fit a cut and blow dry in,
just think of all those redundant empty little spaces you may be able to fill in with a dry cut :)

in my eyes dry cuts are potentially good little money makers , why turn such good business away ? :eek: just spray it slightly with water , get cutting and apply the well known slogan

" it will be ok when its washed HONEST :lol: "

Minky, I struggle to squeeze a fag in inbetween clients!

Sadly, yes.
Check out my blog x

Minky, I struggle to squeeze a fag in inbetween clients!

Sorry persianista I had to edit to add some I forgot , :hug: and I hate the edit thing that comes up on edited posts
I do wish there was a bit more time to edit,
as I prefer posts without the edit notice ,
(just a neat thingy thing I guess)

Hee hee , naughty gal :smack: I have notice lots of hairdressers smoke , must be stress related lol :lol::lol::lol:

My old salon Boss of many years ago was like old Fagan he would be around all his stylists like a bee around honey with that appointment book asking us one by one "can you fit in a dry cut or a trim ? " as they walked in to a full salon all day long in lol x minky

i dont mind dry cuts as long as the hair isnt mingin wit grease etc. also i hate sum1 coming in for a dry cut when they expect a total restyle, which i say i wont do without a cut and blow dry so i can finish it properly, and they almost always have the dry cut and book back in for a cut and blow dry at a later date!! x

i dont mind dry cuts as long as the hair isnt mingin wit grease etc. also i hate sum1 coming in for a dry cut when they expect a total restyle, which i say i wont do without a cut and blow dry so i can finish it properly, and they almost always have the dry cut and book back in for a cut and blow dry at a later date!! x

Hi Scottydolly , as soon as they mention they want loads off or they want a restyle I tell them straightaway before I start that the price will increase as there is a lot more work involved
:) x minky

I cut mens hair dry if asked. I charge 17.50 for it. My cut and blow dry is 45 and wash and cut is 27.50.
Dry cuts on women? I stick to my guns and say no. They would be walking out of my salon looking like crap. If they want a cheap hack off job they can go elsewhere.

Unfortunately for me, I live in a dying seaside town, competing with 84 other salons.. I have found up North they don't like parting with their cash. :(

My gents cut is only £7.50 and believe it or not, I am the dearest in town. Some only charge £3.

I always spray down my dry cut and then finish it, they always look good when they leave. :)

This is not how I would like it but I am bound by my area.

In an ideal situation I would do dry cuts or even wet cuts. I love the start to finish experience of a wash cut and blow dry. But I find I am turning away a few clients a week and this area is the sort of clientele that do look for dry cuts. Might see how we get on with it over the next few weeks then make a decision!!

Most of my clients tip more than a fiver! Twenty quid tips are not unusual.
£3 for a gents haircut is terrible. Even the cheapest old boy barbers here charge a tenner.

Its funny how we are all doing the same job (well obv some people are better than others as in most professions) but the prices vary so much! I am £12 for a gent and some clients think this is ridiculous as this area is quite a barber-y area. Guess you still get the clients who think its a bargain too!! :)

I don't know whether my clients think it's a bargain, I am not the most expensive round here, but am in the top 10%. We don't compete on price. People here are not terribly price sensitive. We have to compete on standards and services. Madly long opening hours and the ability to tackle the most complex corrections are my stock-in-trade.

Latest posts

Back