DYSPRAXIA: Language Disorder :Has anyone come across this before

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel Mary

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has had to go through treatment with their children for the language disorder Dyspraxia? My 3 and 1/2 year old son, Torin has been diagnosed with it and we are now currently in the swing of starting Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy.
Its a problem between the Brain and the tongue muscles. He vocabulary is not huge, but then sometimes he rips out a whole sentence full of words he has never said before and one day he will try and talk a lot and other days struggles. Its affecting his behaviour and he literally belts the crap out of me some days ( he his really tall and very big for his age, that they are sending him to a Dietician to run blood tests to see if his food processes are affecting speech processes and so on) Grocery shopping can take me 2.5 hours sometimes and I just could sit down and cry in the middle of the aisle (sook, I know!)
He is such a social and happy child normally but he is getting really frustrated and aggressive as he cant cope with not being able to speak to let me know what he needs or wants.
Was hoping someone may have gone through this before and could pass on some tips.
Cheers
Rachel
xxxxx

I don't have any experience of the disorder. Just wanted to give you some :hug: :hug: .
I can relate to the shopping thing. BF's kids have coelic disease (gluten intolerence).It's very severe for his daughter. I read the labels on every single thing in the supermarket, comparing brands. It takes forever, but you have to do it.

I don't have any experience of the disorder. Just wanted to give you some :hug: :hug: .
I can relate to the shopping thing. BF's kids have coelic disease (gluten intolerence).It's very severe for his daughter. I read the labels on every single thing in the supermarket, comparing brands. It takes forever, but you have to do it.
Thanks for the hugs.
xxx:green:

First thing, huge :hug:s to you. My youngest son reacts to colours in foods, so I've done the crying in the aisles thing.
A friends son has dyspraxia, and he's borderline Adhd, (they're both on the autistic spectrum along with dyslexia) but he was 10 before he was diagnosed. He's now having help and is getting along much better.
Dyspraxia can affect balance and co-ordination also, so can make the child feel very frustrated. As my friends child is borderline Adhd, his parents have tried Ritalin, and for this child it's been a big sucess, he has far fewer and less extreme tantrums etc.
See if there is a support group in your area, they will give you loads of advice and help. Most importantly, keep pushing the health workers to get all the help available for your son.:hug::hug::hug:

I wote an assignmewnt about dyspraxia for my tewaching, but how it can affect you as an adult. I didnt realise it affected childrens speech. I just thought it was a moto condition that affected your coordination.

I had to relate how it could cause problems for me as a teacher if i had to teach someone beauty therapy with this condition.

I know im not being much use here, but there are alot of websites i found that can offer support and help. Cant thin off the top of my head, but i know i came across a few!!

xx

Thanks to all you guys for your support and advice. I dont yet have to check products in the supermarket the problem with my shopping is him. He wants to play with the toys, if I keep him in the trolley he steps on the fruit and squashes it. The other day he lost it at me and pulled my top down to my belly button and it was all hanging out, and believe me there is a lot to hang out!!! The speech therapist and the occupational therapist dont see a hint of autism or any other like adhd and so on. He is such a social little butterfly and interacts with kids really well. Loves going to the school and kindy with the other kids and it breaks my heart that he just cant get what he thinks out like he wants to. I would give anything to have a reciprocated conversation with him. I know we will get there but with hard work and lots of dedication.
Cheers
Rachel

I must admit I always thought Dyspraxia was more related to co-ordination and muscle control etc. Dyslexia is closely linked and whilst most people believe that it is problems with the written word, it can affect the spoken word also. My daughter who's dyslexic has always gotten spoken words confused. She's 12 and still has problems with specific & pacific, and other similar words. That is due to her auditory perception of the spoken word, all part of her dyslexia.
I would double check with the docs about this part as well.:hug:

I read there are three forms of Dyspraxia, Oral, Verbal and Motor skills.
xxx

My son has Dyspraxia, not the speech form though but I know a little boy who did have it in speech form. Dyspraxia can affect you in different ways.
It affects my sons behaviour, understanding, co-ordination, learning difficulties, difficulty in getting things accross, memory, getting led astray very often ending up in trouble with the police. (statistics show that over half of male prisoners have either dyspraxia or dsylexia)
There is tons of information on the internet but in all honesty the best help I gave my son was understanding him (the best I could without actually going through it)
My son is 17 now and yes he didn't do very well at school due to the lack of understanding and help but he is a well-balanced, polite boy who has managed to muddle through and he has came out the other end.

my experiences with my 11 year old eldest lad is the same as odettes.
my lad at 3 had to go to speech therapy and was diagnosed with dyslexia at 7 and also had to go to the hospital to be assesed for dyspraxia also, as they do say they both go hand in hand.
but to reiterate these kids are very very clever and bright the may struggle in their early years with speech problems and the spoken word but by god they understand everything you say to them.
i give all my boys omega 3 cod liver oil because being boys they lack concentration...lol but my eldest more so than the others, his brain works faster than his body i think so he frits from one thing to another and is bored very easily and it does get him very frustrated.

you keep being the good mum you are :hug: i have cried tears at night over joe but he seems to be doing ok, very popular at school and has good teachers

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know with lots of love and support things will get better for you and your little boy.

One of my sons, Matthew was diagnosed with dyspraxia at 3 years old, his paediatrician said he was the worst case she had ever seen in over 20 years. He went to a special needs nursery and needed physio, occupational therapy and speech therapy and they wanted him to go to a special needs school which we refused as we wanted him to have as normal a life as possible, because of this he lost his occupational therapy and physio. He had speech therapy until he was 7 and a pushchair till he was 6 as walking tired him out very easily and we were told due to his lack of co-ordinantion he would never ride a bike or swim and would probably suffer numerous broken bones. He now rides a bike, swims and roller skates, he learnt how to do these as his brothers stole his stabilisers for his bike, and with all 3 let go of him when he needed them to help him, they also told him if he ever wanted to be like them he had to try things even if he fell and hurt himself. Their motto is there is no such sentence as I can't do it, it's I won't do it. We have had many tears and tantrums over the years and he still gets frustrated when he is tired as tiredness affects his speech and co-ordination.

He is now 10 and was recently discharged from his paediatrician as he has made so much progress due to the support and "bullying" he has had from all his family. His paediatrician told us last month at discharge when he took over his case (2 years ago)he never thought Matthew would have made the progress he has and he congratulated us all on all the hard work we have put in over the years to give him the normal life he lives now.

I would also like to tell you he has only had 1 broken bone, he broke his arm when he was 4 years old and that was in the house playing with his baby brothers baby gym of all things and he is also planning on learning to surf when we emigrate to Australia in a few months time.

Good Luck and take each day as it comes as it will get easier.

Helen

I've heard of it before...there is even a yahoo group that deals with it. I will have to find the link for you hun....I was worried that Marlon might have this condition as he is 17 months and is barely walking and really doesn't talk, he doesn't say Mama, but says dada, cup, stop and good...I may be worrying for nothing though. I know most children with this gag on food, he doesn't do that...I still have more research to do.

:hug: :hug: to you babe!

I'm a teacher working with children who have a range of special needs.
Try giving your son a lot of opportunities for developing muscle control of his tongue and lips. You could try things like
- blowing bubbles(with the bubbles and wand),
- blowing bubbles using a straw in paint with washing up liquid and some water and then putting paper on the cup to make a print,
- folding a sheet of paper in half and open again,and putting paint splodges on one half the paper, blowing them about with a straw, then folding the paper over and pressing to make a butterfly when opened
- playing blow football ith a ping pong ball and straws, also try using different things, eg scrunched tissue paper
- blowing out candles
- sucking using a straw
- licking ice lollies, icecreams, etc
- putting something nice (jam, chocolate spread?) around his lips and he has to lick it off
- licking the bowl/spoon when helping you to bake
- playing games to see who can stick out their tongue the furthest
I'm sure you'llbe able to add more once you have a think.

As for tantrums during shopping, make him a helper. You'll need to do a bit of preparation work before you go. Take the label from tins, or take a photo of the tin/product you want your child to help you find. Laminate these if possible, so they last and you can use them again.Make sure you put them in order of the way you go up and down the aisles.
It might be an idea to start trying this on several "trial" or "set up" shopping trips, where you only need a few items, so that it doesn't last long and his attention and interest will be maintained.
As you go around, give your child the first card and explain he is your special helper who has to try and help you to find the product (tin of beans, bread, etc) Look at the card with him and talk about what you are both looking for. Keep him close by maintaiing interest. Make it exciting (I know, a tin of beans isn't really exciting, but give it a good try!) "Can you see it on this shelf?...no....not here.....is it up high?.... think we're getting close......Good looking! You found it! What a clever boy! Mummy's so proud of you!!" He gets to put the item in the trolley and "post" the card into an envelope, before you get out the next card. "Right, what do we need now?"
Give loads of praise, being very specific about what you are praising, e.g. "Good looking", goood walking, well done for walking with mummy, thank you for pushing the trolley, etc.
As for making his needs known, pictures or photo cards are a great resource. Try photographing objects you know he will probably want, so that he can access these to make his needs known. Try to introduce a "Help" card (maybe a stick drawing of an adult bending over to a child, or the word "help" if your drawing skills don't even go this far!). Try to introduce this when you see a frustration arising. Show the card (probably you'll need these strategically placed around the house to allow easy access) and say "You need help. Mummy will help. " Then try to help in what ever way you think, e.g. putting the train track piece on, helping him take off his shoes, etc.
Remember, all the activities for both the tongue/lip control and shopping need to be fun! Enjoy the play time with your lovely little boy!
Sorry it's so long a post, but I hope this helps, and good luck!
Marion

What do you mean "sorry for so long a post"!! that you took the time out to write all those tips out for me is wonderful. Thank you so much!!!!!:hug: :hug: :hug:. Torin has great lip control, its only his use of words is limited, he can say help me, when he gets in to a spot of bother and can try and tell me what he wants and if he cant he drags me to it to help him. Since the assessment, he really has been trying to say a lot more, which could be that i have cut down DVD movies! We have actually been having a bit of interaction between us!@!!!!!
As we spoke, I just got a call from the Womens and Childrens Hospital, which is great as I have been doing this privately and paying but now I have an appointment for next wednesday which means his speech therapy will now be free. Excellent.

My friend Pete has dyslexia AND dyspraxia and is so tall and clumsy, bless him, but he's done really well for himself... he's a Nurse at Bupa in Ipswich and is doing further education.

He's intelligent and most people with Dyslexia/Dyspraxia get on well.

Don't worry too much without undue cause :hug:

No problem. May help someone else too.
Glad you've an appointment now. Try to keep relaxed, as Torin will pick up on your stress. Good luck!
Marion

Latest posts

Back