Ear piercing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

* Helen *

Reaction score
Morning Geeks

Just wondered how many of you offered ear piercing as a part of your service?!

The reason I ask is that we have been offered it at college and wondered if anyone thinks it is beneficial :D

Thanks;)

I have thought about doing this aswell. so it'll be interesting to see how many people do offer ear piercing.

Anyone ...... Ladies and Gentlemen :?:

I'm a bodypiercer. Started doing piercing in 1998. But if you are going to do piercing, you can't have long nails.
If you only think about the ear-piercing-gun, you can do it, but remember that these guns are ONLY for the ear-lobe, not for the nose or upper part of the ear!!!

hiya helen
im a qualified ear piercer trained with studex, i offer this as part of my service but dont get much response from it , done one or two on the odd ocasion but thats about it once there done there done, i charge £7 for both ears this icludes both ears peirced with the studs of the clients choose aftercare lotion and aftercare leaflet which i think is very reasonable.

Thanks Ladies ;)

Tina, yes its only for the ear lobes, don't think I would be able to manage any other part of the body, too squeemish:o

Lynzi, do you think its worth doing then for what you paid for training and kit etc?

I do ear piercing and Tooth Fairy tooth gems. So far I have had to pierce about 20 babies and my nerves are in shreds afterwards. The tooth gems are a big hit with the kids in the school holidays but to start it the stuff is quite expensive.

i paid about £75 for my kit and £35.00 for the course , it is worth getting if you think you can make a go of it and get regular clients, also its another service to offer to clients but as i said once there peirced thats it you could be waiting ages for another client unlike nails that need regular maintaince,ear piercing just didnt work for me, at least its anonther certificate to put up though?

cherryblossom said:
i paid about £75 for my kit and £35.00 for the course , it is worth getting if you think you can make a go of it and get regular clients, also its another service to offer to clients but as i said once there peirced thats it you could be waiting ages for another client unlike nails that need regular maintaince,ear piercing just didnt work for me, at least its anonther certificate to put up though?

Yeah thats what I was thinking and its going to cost me £65 for kit and training so I dont think its too much. I'm just thinking of another "add" on.

I have decided to do an ear piercing course aswell as an extra to add to services myself. I realise it is not an area that will earn me a fortune but is another 'string to the bow' and a shiny certificate!
I am doing the Studex course with Capital- they are only 10 pounds, the course is 2 hours long and to buy the Studex gun with 1 pair of practise studs was around 25 quid. I didn't think that was too bad but your courses sound pricey!

jellybelly06 said:
I have decided to do an ear piercing course aswell as an extra to add to services myself. I realise it is not an area that will earn me a fortune but is another 'string to the bow' and a shiny certificate!
I am doing the Studex course with Capital- they are only 10 pounds, the course is 2 hours long and to buy the Studex gun with 1 pair of practise studs was around 25 quid. I didn't think that was too bad but your courses sound pricey!

Yeah mines around £65 with Caflon?!?! Thats all I know but its with my local college!!

Just ensure that you check with your local Council if they require you to be licensed to perform this treatment. You may find these Government guidelines useful too, a bit long winded, but some good advice about hygiene etc etc http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/76-2.htm

Yes I had to make a one off payment to the council of around £53. You do not need to take out any extra insurance though unless you are piercing bodies.

Why would you need a course to use a ear-piercing-gun?

Tinalita said:
I'm a bodypiercer. Started doing piercing in 1998. But if you are going to do piercing, you can't have long nails.
If you only think about the ear-piercing-gun, you can do it, but remember that these guns are ONLY for the ear-lobe, not for the nose or upper part of the ear!!!

I had my nose and upper ear pierced with a gun (mind you many years ago) why aren't you suppost to use it for the nose etc then?

On my course we were told that we can pierce the top part of the ear as well - I've not done it yet though

I didn't realise you have to register with the council for providing ear piercing so am glad I read this thread and will definitely look into it.
I guess we don't NEED a course to use an ear piercing gun, I too have read the enclosed instructions and it explains it all in the kits but personally feel that for the sake of 2 hours it is worth doing the course. You can then prove to any clients that you know what you are doing, you will learn all the hygiene factors involved, plus certificates can be provided for insurance purposes.
I can only say why I have signed up for the course myself and speaking as someone who has 9 piercings in her ears, including top cartilage done by a gun, and had her nose pierced with a gun because I didn't know any better at the time... I would prefer to be 'done' by someone who can produce the qualification.

smiler13334 said:
I had my nose and upper ear pierced with a gun (mind you many years ago) why aren't you suppost to use it for the nose etc then?
I was told (in the piercing studio where i wa sonce employed) thatwe were'nt allowed to pierce nostrils due to supposed difficulties in sterilising the gun, which was weird because you'd sterilise the gun by soaking, so surely the process would be equally effective whether nostril or ear...:suprised:
it was never that clear why, but it was a health & safety issue.

smiler13334 said:

I will try the best i can to explain this in english...

When you have a piercing done the professional way with a needle, the needle is sharpened with lazer, and it cuts out the skin where the jewellery is being placed. That way, the skin is not being pressed aside as it does when you have your skin pierced with a stud in a gun.
In the earlobe, the skin is soft, and not a problem, but in the nose and upper ear, it's harder.
This is where i lose it, don't know what you call that type of skin that is not only flesh, but not bone either, but something in between. Like chickenbone... Well, if you shoot a stud in this "chickenbone"-skin, this hard skin is being "pushed" aside, and will always make a pressure onto the jewellery, and when the jewellery moves (fraction?), it can easily cause bumbs that might never go away, called "keloids".
Another thing that can happen, is that this hard skin can break further up, and cause infections.

Did this make sense or...I know of a colleague who might be able to explain this better in english, but i think it can take some days before he can do it.

I too am taking a modual in ear piercing as part of my NVQ as the first step in becoming a qualified nail tech and body piercer. As part of my research into piercing you do have to have regular checks taken out by the council in order to give you and your premisies a health and hygine certificate - but this is only if you pierce ears. If you only do other kinds of piercing you don't need any council checks as there hasn't been any goverment legistration in this. So anyone can become a body piercer as long as they don't pierce ears. You do need offical training for ears, but not for anything else - crazy isn't it!

As for using a gun - I'd try to train using needles as they are disposable and more versitile whereas the guns can be difficult to setrilize properly, and if put in an autoclave will melt beyond use.

Anyway I hope some of that was useful and I wish you good luck

Latest posts

Back