easy jet flights within uk

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
i just got an email from easyjet. here is a copy of that email

You may have heard that the Chancellor, Gordon Brown, recently announced that Air Passenger Duty (APD) - a tax implemented, controlled and collected by the UK Government - is due to increase on all flights departing from UK airports after 1 February 2007. We're very sorry to tell you that unfortunately this affects your booking with the above reference. easyJet was one of many airlines which lobbied the Government hard not to increase the tax on flying. Contrary to what the Chancellor said, we do not believe that increasing APD is an effective environmental tax and is simply a means for the Government to raise additional revenue. However, we have no choice but to implement this tax increase and we must collect the additional tax per departing passenger from you.

im just wondering if anyone else that is flying down south after 1st Feb also received this email.

i have rang them, on the number that they gave me in the email, but all i get (after being told what options i have) is what sounds like a fax machine

can anyone shed some light on this

(this additional tax by the way is £10)

Yup its £5 per person per flight I think. I got my holiday invoice through today and there are three of us flying to Tenerife and its 3 x £5 and 3 x £5 total £30 for the trip.

Just another stealth tax .. its no surprise really with the way this Government has acted, we are taxed on anything and everything, we are even taxed on tax lol!! oh humm..

You may have heard that the Chancellor, Gordon Brown, recently announced that Air Passenger Duty (APD) - a tax implemented, controlled and collected by the UK Government - is due to increase on all flights departing from UK airports after 1 February 2007. We're very sorry to tell you that unfortunately this affects your booking with the above reference. easyJet was one of many airlines which lobbied the Government hard not to increase the tax on flying. Contrary to what the Chancellor said, we do not believe that increasing APD is an effective environmental tax and is simply a means for the Government to raise additional revenue. However, we have no choice but to implement this tax increase and we must collect the additional tax per departing passenger from you.

im just wondering if anyone else that is flying down south after 1st Feb also received this email.

i have rang them, on the number that they gave me in the email, but all i get (after being told what options i have) is what sounds like a fax machine

Hi Glynis,

I have just spoken to my sister who works for American Express Centurian travel and she said that this is a true statement.

It is £10 for a short haul flight and £20 for a long haul flight.

She said that you may be able to contest it though as the price you agreed was not the price they are asking for now. No guarantees though!

If you made the booking before the 1st Feb, then you have entered into a contract with Easyjet and you have paid that amount! Maybe you could use this to contest it.?

Sorry I can't be of anymore help but I hope it helps a little.:hug:

Teri x

I also got that e-mail.
with this bit added:

Important Note: when you booked your flight the terms and conditions
you accepted did state that if taxes and charges outside of our
control were raised before your flight departed, we would have to pass
on the cost to you. Failure to make the additional APD payment may
result in you not being allowed to take your flight. Click here to
view easyJet's Terms and Conditions.

thank god for that - i thought i might be getting fleeced.. the other thing is that i got the email for one ref code, but not the other, i booked a flight for my mate the day after i booked mine and its hers that the email refers to. but aint received one yet about my booking?????????????????

I also got that e-mail.
with this bit added:

Important Note: when you booked your flight the terms and conditions
you accepted did state that if taxes and charges outside of our
control were raised before your flight departed, we would have to pass
on the cost to you. Failure to make the additional APD payment may
result in you not being allowed to take your flight. Click here to
view easyJet's Terms and Conditions.

They'll know this was being implemented and are covering their a***s by the sound of it!

Slightly changing the topic here, but did anyone read in the papers yesterday that the government are also thinking of sending people round to our houses now to check for DIY improvements which will mean that they can charge us more council tax :irked: . So we pay tax when we earn our money, we then pay tax on any products we buy to make our houses look nicer, then we pay tax because they are better, bl**dy great isn't it!

We fly to florida in July,it has been booked for months and we have to pay £30.00 per person,even for our four year old its calculated on distance and weight apparently !

The tickets will not be issued unless this tax is paid .....WHAT A CROCK !

I agree with any taxes that help control pollution of the enviroment and if i've booked a low cost airline then fair enough and it's so easy for these airlines to blame the government rather than take responsibility for their own actions.

I agree with any taxes that help control pollution of the enviroment and if i've booked a low cost airline then fair enough and it's so easy for these airlines to blame the government rather than take responsibility for their own actions.

We fly with Virgin,it's accross the board not just low cost airlines hth .

We fly with Virgin,it's accross the board not just low cost airlines hth .

Oops - ta. What i should have said is the all. I do have a downer on low cost airlines but its persoanl as they've indirectly but my dads job at risk - bt thats another sory. But i do think that the low cost airlines will winge the most as they will be on the least profit margin so they're never going to absorn the cost and direct their anger to the government which is sad when its clearly a tax that is need.

We pay more tax for larger sized engines so its only right these huge pollutants are penilised.

How do these penalties help the environment please ?

Also i don't think it's right that existing bookings should be affected,we effectively agreed an amount wich has now been increased,doesn't work both ways really does it ?

i still cant get in touch with easyjet, and am concerned that i they dont get in touch with me that i wont be allowed on my flight, as i said, i have had one email regarding this, but it was for my mates flight, which has now been paid, but i havent had one for my flight (we both on the same flight), and in the original email it states that if its not paid by the 15th jan, passengers wont beable to board the aircraft.
has anyone any ideas how to get hold of easyjet? when i ring, i jsut get automated messeges, then end up with what sounds like a fax machine, and to contact via there web, doesnt cover what i need to know

Not sure what number you tried Glynis....but this is the one for 'Urgent, before you fly enquiries'

0871 244 2366

Beware ...the robbing devils charge you 10p per min!

Not sure what number you tried Glynis....but this is the one for 'Urgent, before you fly enquiries'

0871 244 2366

thanks for that, will ring them and hopefully get a human voice on the other end

Oooh Glynis.... change that....try this number instead. Just checked a couple of website and its supposed to be a 'secret squirrel, get through first time and don't get ripped off by them', little known number....haha now everyone knows it!

Dunno if it works though...only one way to find out!

01582 525422 (ordinary landline cost)

Good luck hun!

0871 244 2366

thats the number i rang flower...

Oooh Glynis.... change that....try this number instead. Just checked a couple of website and its supposed to be a 'secret squirrel, get through first time and don't get ripped off by them', little known number....haha now everyone knows it!

Dunno if it works though...only one way to find out!

01582 525422 (ordinary landline cost)

Good luck hun!

will give it a go and let ya know - thanks flower

How do these penalties help the environment please ?

Also i don't think it's right that existing bookings should be affected,we effectively agreed an amount wich has now been increased,doesn't work both ways really does it ?

Because it makes people think about if they really need to travel or need they go as far.

If people travel less because of these penalities then it helps the environment directly and indirectly.

Emissions from air travel are a significant and growing source of greenhouse gases which cause climate change which is having a disasterous effect on some counties through lack or rain etc.

HTH

thank god for that - i thought i might be getting fleeced.. the other thing is that i got the email for one ref code, but not the other, i booked a flight for my mate the day after i booked mine and its hers that the email refers to. but aint received one yet about my booking?????????????????

I have had the same experience and cannot get through on the number. Did you find out why you had only been emailed regarding one ref code. I have three seperate bookings for the same flight but only one request to pay the tax. I am concerned that the other two bookings will be cancelled.

Latest posts

Back