electric drills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
What does everyone think of them? my boss wants to buy one, but someone ruined my nails with one, i didnt know at time though, as i had no experience or knowledge of them, what does everyone think?

Hi creative cazzey - if you do a search on this forum you should find loads of info - the topic of electric drills and files has been debated a few times!!! I can't help at all, as I don't use one, and am not really interested in using one at the moment, but the other threads should give you some info from both sides of the story. xxx

I think if you are trained then its fine BUT not many people that use them are trained hence the damage.

If you are trained in the use of an efile then it is another tool for your use should you choose to use one. There is nothing wrong with drills if used in educated hands ... damage is caused by techs that are untrained and dont care! Because an educated tech chooses to use a drill does not make them a bad tech.
hth

Well Said Jo !!
Joey said:
If you are trained in the use of an efile then it is another tool for your use should you choose to use one. There is nothing wrong with drills if used in educated hands ... damage is caused by techs that are untrained and dont care! Because an educated tech chooses to use a drill does not make them a bad tech.
hth

I'm not sure it always matters that the operator has had training or is competant with a drill, some techs (NOT ALL!) still seem to make an awful mess of natural nails - I see it all the time.

Dont like them,wont use one and even in very experienced hands there is always a risk .No one is infallable and one of these things slips, its not nice.
IMHO

I don't use an efile (because i've never been trained too and i prefer not too) but I've had my natural nail butchered by a manual file used by a "qualified tech"..!

I am trained and do use an e-file
I plan on taking further courses in it order to advance my skills, the same as I am doing with my application techniques.

Unfortunately the use of e files in the "chop shops" and in untrained hands have cause horrific damage and given e files some very bad press. However I know plenty of people who have come to me with deep ridges in their nails and I have asked them if they had an e file used and their answer has been no. Hand filing is just as dangerous.

If you are planning on using an e file find a proper course to do (I think Ez Flow Runs e file courses with a cert) before you use it on anyone in the salon.

taintz said:
I am trained and do use an e-file
I plan on taking further courses in it order to advance my skills, the same as I am doing with my application techniques.

Unfortunately the use of e files in the "chop shops" and in untrained hands have cause horrific damage and given e files some very bad press. However I know plenty of people who have come to me with deep ridges in their nails and I have asked them if they had an e file used and their answer has been no. Hand filing is just as dangerous.

If you are planning on using an e file find a proper course to do (I think Ez Flow Runs e file courses with a cert) before you use it on anyone in the salon.

i totally agree
there has been many post abt efiles and drills etc... some which i have posted on
it seems that many geekios agree that efiles are fine if the tech has the right training etc...
unfortunatley EzFlow have discontinued the efile :(
and i would have to brake mine too....lol.... oh well :rolleyes:

Jess
xox

I just wanted to say that to me my e-file (we dont call them drills in Canada-e-fiiles, or our nail machines) is just like my acrylic brush, he (named teddy) is very important to me. I took a full course to use him, now I am not saying that I could not hurt anyone, that can happen with anything in life. You can't take the siccors away from a hairdresser because she nicked someones ear, I am a hairdresser as well and did nick a few in the begining! But I feel I am very skilled with him, I have NEVER used it on a natural nail! I know the correct angles to use him, just like we use the hand files we have to learn the right way. a hand file can be used the wrong way and can do much damage. I also know that many tech here use there e file right after there enhancemnt is applied...not good, sends loads of pressure, witch in turn causes micro cracks, thus damage that they will have to soon repair... The main purpose of our efiles here is to take the bulk of the product down before a rebalance. Saving our arms and our wrists so that we may be able to create beautiful enhancements for many years to come. I guess what i am saying is if your using one make sure you know your stuff on it. There are piles of different bits for the efiles, differnt rpms, reverse and forward settings, just to name a few of the aspects that can cause damage, more to it then just "drilling to no end" . Drills are for the dentist, not the nail tech. I love my "Teddy bear" he has never hurt anyone... :)
Jackie

i totally agree that in the hands of a fully trained individual electric files are safe, reliable and extremely easy to use. I was trained by YOUNG NAILS who offer one of the best e-files available and give you free electric file training!! cant beat the professionalism, training, quality products and prices!!

www.youngnails.co.uk

The main purpose of our efiles here is to take the bulk of the product down before a rebalance. Saving our arms and our wrists so that we may be able to create beautiful enhancements for many years to come.

This is the reason I have one ... I have such pain in my hands when having to do rebalances and I couln't bear to give up doing nails so after much researching this is the route I have taken. I am spending every spare penny and minute I have having education and practice to be the best nail technician I can be. I think there is too much emphasis put on "drill = nss" - it doesn't! As in every step of our industry education is the key.

IMO I'm too scared to use one.........mainly because I don't know how to , so I stay clear of that one. May be one day I might take the plunge.

Julie Parkin said:
IMO I'm too scared to use one.........mainly because I don't know how to , so I stay clear of that one. May be one day I might take the plunge.

I agree, I wouldn't feel confident enough to use one but maybe with the right training I would feel differently. I personally don't see the need to use an e-file as correct product application should mean minimal filing anyway. I can see the point in using one to de-bulk in a rebalance though, I do think that this would be a help as it can be quite a chore. I think it is personal choice. As long as the tech is trained & works safely there shouldn't be a problem.

Ive never used one but i agree with them being ok if in trained hands. A girl i work with has huge bumps in her natural nail from an e-file. You can see them really clearly and she said they hurt for awhile afterwards. I wasnt surprised- if theyd filed anymore theyd have gone through her nail! But i dont think this person was trained. Then again im not sure but i doubt it if she is causing that kind of damage.x

TBH, I think the problem is with the tech, not with the e-file. I have had a couple of clients from another salon where the tech filed straight through the nail plate & left a gaping hole with skin hanging out. This was with a normal file. I have been told that the techs in this salon talk on their phones & text at the nail station while doing nails, eat & drink and take breaks part way through for a quick fag. God knows what would happen if you put an e-file in their hands!

nicjill said:
I agree, I wouldn't feel confident enough to use one but maybe with the right training I would feel differently. I personally don't see the need to use an e-file as correct product application should mean minimal filing anyway. I can see the point in using one to de-bulk in a rebalance though, I do think that this would be a help as it can be quite a chore. I think it is personal choice. As long as the tech is trained & works safely there shouldn't be a problem.

the reason i particulary love using an e-file is that when doing backfills you can actually carve out a perfect smile line, making application of the white sharp, perfect and clear.

Also if you cut a groove in the acrylic behind the lifting being very careful to not cut into the natural nail, with a pair of cuticle nippers the lifted acrylic comes off easily with out damaging the natural nail or disturbing the rest of the acrylic nail. Fantastic!!

taintz said:
However I know plenty of people who have come to me with deep ridges in their nails and I have asked them if they had an e file used and their answer has been no. Hand filing is just as dangerous.

I totally agree, when I first started off doing my own nails I filed them down (with a regular hand file) until they were paper thin,:Scared: I had ridges, craters and everything else one could imagine. Me, personally I want a nice e-file, but I would never, may I repeat NEVER use them on a clients natural nails unless I had a very, very low grit attachment...and probably still never then, I really wouldn't use it but on enhancements, it makes the work so much quicker, especially since mine always end up bumpy and take ages to smooth out by hand, but even just using them on enhancements, you still have to know what you are doing because you can file the product down so much you still end up on top of the natural nail. I'll start off practicing on myself until I get my technique just right.

hi

i have traind with the nail drills i have to say that i dont have one yet and i not sure if i will get one.
The only things that i would use them for would be 1 to do the back fill in for french tips and also nail art set into gels etc.
But i would never use them on the nail beds

Creative_Cazzey said:
What does everyone think of them? my boss wants to buy one, but someone ruined my nails with one, i didnt know at time though, as i had no experience or knowledge of them, what does everyone think?

Latest posts

Back