Embarrassing - French manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do people use to tidy up polish that gets on the finger (it always happens to me :rolleyes:)? For both normal polish and Shellac?

A friend of mine who has been in beauty for nearly 10 years (she also employs people) said that the number of people who come straight from college who struggle to paint a nail is really high (she says this is often observed when she interviews people).

I take "comfort" from this in that it's not that I (or anyone else) doesn't have the potential to do a french polish well, it's just that college seems to skim over the most fundamental aspects of a treatment.

I was lucky enough that she took the time to give me a one to one session on how to hold the clients finger, the polish and brush in a way that made it dramatically and massively easier to be more in control of getting the sort of look that a client might want me to create. I'm still not exactly where I'd like to be with it yet but I think in the 30mins or so she spent "tutoring" me, I learnt more in that time that in did in days worth of college.

I'm not saying that all college training is bad because it's not and either way it's probably necessary in many cases unless you're training on the job.

But yeah, I just wanted to say that OP, please don't feel bad or get mad and mean at yourself because it's not you in particular being incompetant and it's nothing that can't be overcome with the right help and advice.

I find that being more in control of my brush, bottle and the client's hand has made a massive difference to me! If only I knew that sooner but hey, onwards and upwards :) (and trust me, I used to get very nervous and shakey about doing a french but I'm just about coming out of that stage now)

hth :)

Thank you! I've been practicing on spare tips this weekend, painting, taking it off, painting, taking it off over and over, and I think I've found the best way for me now, just itching to get to work on Wednesday and I'm going to offer a free French paint to any waiting clients whenever I'm not busy. I think I just need to throw myself in at the deep end. After all there's nothing a bit of remover won't sort out :)

What do people use to tidy up polish that gets on the finger (it always happens to me :rolleyes:)? For both normal polish and Shellac?

I have a series of brushes like this is my arsenal...all Kolinsky. They are invaluable for regular polish.
21bxsnqOnJL._SL160_.jpg

For Shellac, I like the CND pro series gel #6.

I have a series of brushes like this is my arsenal...all Kolinsky. They are invaluable for regular polish.
21bxsnqOnJL._SL160_.jpg

For Shellac, I like the CND pro series gel #6.

Thanks, what liquid do you use? Nail fresh, D sperse, nail varnish remover? I have tried all of the above and cant work out which ones best for which product!

Thanks, what liquid do you use? Nail fresh, D sperse, nail varnish remover? I have tried all of the above and cant work out which ones best for which product!

I absolutely prefer Nailfresh for cleaning up my french application. Nailfresh is also perfect for smudged polish. I'd love to take credit for these two tips but I got them from Gigi (Geeg). I still use pure acetone for cleaning up polish from skin, though.

If you manage to locate one of these brushes in the UK, make sure you put a drop of solar oil on the brush every night and gently massage it in and it will last you quite some time.

I love my brushes. Couldn't live without them.

Should I just practise on nail tips to try and perfect this? Normal fake nail tips? I want to be confident at doing French.

Practice on whatever you can, whenever you have free time! :)

Should I just practise on nail tips to try and perfect this? Normal fake nail tips? I want to be confident at doing French.

I would rather practice on a real nail for french tips, as its alot harder in my opinion

I absolutely prefer Nailfresh for cleaning up my french application. Nailfresh is also perfect for smudged polish. I'd love to take credit for these two tips but I got them from Gigi (Geeg). I still use pure acetone for cleaning up polish from skin, though.

If you manage to locate one of these brushes in the UK, make sure you put a drop of solar oil on the brush every night and gently massage it in and it will last you quite some time.

I love my brushes. Couldn't live without them.

Thank you :hug:

When I first left college I didn't feel competent at french or a normal polish!!! I used to spend far, far too long doing a man or ped and faffing about trying to make it neater and ending up with it looking worse. I then set about practicing on everyone, read everything on here, I printed out geeg's precision polishing tutorial, learn't about nail fresh mentioned earlier for tidying smile lines and now I love nothing more than someone asking for a french or polish. You will get there, keep practicing, be confident and bold when applying, and try not to apply the white too slowly as this always made it worse for me! Practice loading your brush with just the right amount of polish too - I used to have far to much on the brush. Good luck, I'm sure you will get there.

Could some one possibly send me a link yo Geeg's precision polishing tutorial. New to this game and cant find it for the life of me!

Thanks All.:lol:

That video was amazing. Is this what we can do in college? I don't think we are allowed to use extras, no guides or anything x

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

A friend of mine who has been in beauty for nearly 10 years (she also employs people) said that the number of people who come straight from college who struggle to paint a nail is really high (she says this is often observed when she interviews people).

I take "comfort" from this in that it's not that I (or anyone else) doesn't have the potential to do a french polish well, it's just that college seems to skim over the most fundamental aspects of a treatment.

I was lucky enough that she took the time to give me a one to one session on how to hold the clients finger, the polish and brush in a way that made it dramatically and massively easier to be more in control of getting the sort of look that a client might want me to create. I'm still not exactly where I'd like to be with it yet but I think in the 30mins or so she spent "tutoring" me, I learnt more in that time that in did in days worth of college.

I'm not saying that all college training is bad because it's not and either way it's probably necessary in many cases unless you're training on the job.

But yeah, I just wanted to say that OP, please don't feel bad or get mad and mean at yourself because it's not you in particular being incompetant and it's nothing that can't be overcome with the right help and advice.

I find that being more in control of my brush, bottle and the client's hand has made a massive difference to me! If only I knew that sooner but hey, onwards and upwards :) (and trust me, I used to get very nervous and shakey about doing a french but I'm just about coming out of that stage now)

hth :)

Hi Laura

I really appreciate your comments. My college is the same, skim over the post important things! My thing at the moment is polishing, which I am now getting better at, not getting it all over the skin. I've got help on this site and looking at YouTube. My other thing is French, struggling with it. Not getting the help I want from the tutor! I plan to get 1-2-1 help and pay for it too as I don't want my confidence to be knocked when doing paying clients. Colleges need to make sure all students are confident or make sure some students get extra time to master a technique!

Regards

Hello

I just wanted to say that I too had problems with french when I first started. I was fine if I could follow the natural smile line but as soon as there was an a smile line that was out of the ordinary or a nail slightly shorter than the others I would go into panic mode and have to sit and re do that particular nail again and again.

The best thing I ever did was change my nail polish. Sounds crazy but find a polish that you can work with and I promise it makes all the difference. I was using some cheap stuff bought from my wholesalers and it was awful to work with. A good polish will have a good brush and be streak free x

Hiya

What French manicure products are you referring to? I think trying different brands and brushes is the way to go.

Thanks

I gate doing French even though I can I just don't feel very confident xx

We all have bad days, I use a corrector pen to straighten the smile line, it works for me, I don't have to be so perfect when placing on the white which is less stressful for me as I know if I make a mess I will straighten it out with the pen, it might take me a little longer but the outcome it good! :p

Latest posts

Back