Embarrassing - French manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember a time not very long ago when there was a product called Dashing Diva. This let everyone breathe a sigh of relief that they could do a perfect French Polish at last. It is not uncommon to dislike doing French and getting it to look as perfect as we would like to.:wink2:

I wonder ... is it so important to get 'perfect' when doing a hand-painted French?

I think one of the charms of a hand-painted French is that it does not look like white plastic tips!

I actually prefer the 'softer' more free-hand look of a hand-painted French. There is such a thing as 'perfect enough' without looking manufactured. IMHO

I'd just get myself a few models, with varying nail lengths, and just get practicing. Try different ways and see what works best for you. Maybe your boss could assist you.

Some people go side to side- my preference. Some do side to centre. Some do little strokes down the tip. So have a play, stay relaxed, and enjoy mastering one of the staples of the trade. ;)

There's also a complete cheat way to get really even smile lines if your nerves get the best of you, Konad do a French tip disk which you can use with a white colour(although it's advertised as Konad polish is the only polish that works) it works ie a stencil nearly.

if I'm having a particularly 'bad' day, along with the Nail Fresh tip, I use a fine nail art brush to touch up the smile line. Works wonders :)

I did think about dashing diva but I don't want to spend extra money on something I rarely get asked for and should be able to do. And actually I think I can do it, it's just confidence that lets me down! I'll just keep practicing away :)

I wonder ... is it so important to get 'perfect' when doing a hand-painted French?

I think one of the charms of a hand-painted French is that it does not look like white plastic tips!

I actually prefer the 'softer' more free-hand look of a hand-painted French. There is such a thing as 'perfect enough' without looking manufactured. IMHO

I always say we have mastered the art of near perfection.

I did think about dashing diva but I don't want to spend extra money on something I rarely get asked for and should be able to do. And actually I think I can do it, it's just confidence that lets me down! I'll just keep practicing away :)

I like your attitude!!! "I think I can do it" will soon become "I can do it."

We look forward to your post when you tell us you've mastered it!

Good luck hun, i used to hate doing french tips and i don't mind at all now. I did 3 today actually, lol.

I found that you really do just have to practice. I bought a load of cheap colour pops off of ebay and set to work. I think they are easier to hold than tips alone.

Geeg's tip of using scrub fresh and a little brush work brilliantly to tidy up without making a mess. Some people also find it easier to wipe the polish off either flat side of the brush and just work with the edge of the brush, so you are using a smaller area.

xx

I thought I was the only one who preferred that kind of look. Don't get me wrong I do strive for neat and even, but I don't like it looking like a white tip ( the plastic kind!) I also prefer the softer whites as opposed to the brilliant whites.

As you said you have only been learning for 12 months, so dont be so hard on yourself! French always used to make me feel nervous which always made it harder to do!! Practice is definitely the way, it also makes u more confident, u then relax and automatically do a better job. We all have off days tho, so I will definitely be using the nail fresh tip :) xxx

Sent from my X10i using SalonGeek

Good luck hun, i used to hate doing french tips and i don't mind at all now. I did 3 today actually, lol.

I found that you really do just have to practice. I bought a load of cheap colour pops off of ebay and set to work. I think they are easier to hold than tips alone.

Geeg's tip of using scrub fresh and a little brush work brilliantly to tidy up without making a mess. Some people also find it easier to wipe the polish off either flat side of the brush and just work with the edge of the brush, so you are using a smaller area.

xx
just so that everyone gets it right .. My tip is NailFresh, not scrubfresh . :biggrin:

Last edited:
Hello

I just wanted to say that I too had problems with french when I first started. I was fine if I could follow the natural smile line but as soon as there was an a smile line that was out of the ordinary or a nail slightly shorter than the others I would go into panic mode and have to sit and re do that particular nail again and again.

The best thing I ever did was change my nail polish. Sounds crazy but find a polish that you can work with and I promise it makes all the difference. I was using some cheap stuff bought from my wholesalers and it was awful to work with. A good polish will have a good brush and be streak free x

You are not alone!!!!! I also feel sick when someone asks me for a French. I do the best I can and fix the ones I have to. My smile lines are not the greatest and I know that....so I just take a deep breathe and keep trudging along. Practice makes perfect they say. Im sure we will both get there!!!!!:lol:

I agree with this. I am not a fan of the Dashing Diva look. A hand painted French looks far nicer on natural nails.

French is something that I am confident with in certain circumstances.

It all depends on the existing nail, free edge in existence or no? Condition of the side walls.. this is when my heart sinks.

Keep practicing with French, find some one who you know can do this brilliantly, get them to bring you through this. It could be something very simple that you could pick up from someone else that will make it better for you :)

Rachel xx

I did this french last week, after god knows how many times of taking it off and putting it back on, the photo is a bit blurred sorry

Attachments

• first french manicure week 8.jpg
    first french manicure week 8.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 382
Sorry to ask a silly question but what are these dashing divas I hear about they look a bit like nail wraps from the pics I've seen but on the website they look like the stick on horrid nail destroying plastic ones u buy from chemists?! Could someone clarify for me? Thanks x

Sorry to ask a silly question but what are these dashing divas I hear about they look a bit like nail wraps from the pics I've seen but on the website they look like the stick on horrid nail destroying plastic ones u buy from chemists?! Could someone clarify for me? Thanks x

Thanks for asking this because I was wondering the same thing :)

i think the important thing to remember when doing a french polish is to relax, alot of clients ask for a french polish because its something that clients really cannot do at home
lets face it, anyone can whack on some nail polish while sitting in front of the telly, but to do a good job of it they come to you as a professional. just chill and take a deep breath. i too used to struggle with my french polish and i can now say that im not to shabby at it. orange sticks or cotton buds are the answer, i always do a quick clean up around the nail edge after all polishes, french or not. i promise you, you do a better job than they would doing it at home.

Dashing diva are pre sized french white or coloured tips, they're very thin like polish and you topcoat over them as normal for a perfect french, they last well too.

Latest posts

Back