Employer's insurance and allergy to l & p

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
A young friend of mine is a level 3 therapist but has not been formally trained in any form of nail enhancements. Her employer has given her a day's in-house training in l & p and now expects her to offer this as a service. My friend developed a substantial reaction to the products quite quickly and her GP advised her not to be exposed to the products any more.
Her employer told her that her employer's liability insurance would be invalidated if she used the products and so relieved her of any nail enhancement services.
Unfortunately, times are hard in this particular salon and the owner has dropped the prices considerably. She now insists that my friend carries out the treatments despite her allergy.
My friend has asked me for advice.
I have a nasty feeling that as my friend has worked there only 7 months or so this is a way of managing her out, as she is, strictly speaking, not fit to do the job for which she was employed.

I don't employ anyone so am asking for views and advice, please!

Initially, would gloves help? In the longer term she has up to 6 years to lodge a personal injury claim. If her employer was concerned with her welfare I am sure that she would not consider this. However, this is clearly not the case and it sounds as though she could have developed this allergy due to inadequate training.

A young friend of mine is a level 3 therapist but has not been formally trained in any form of nail enhancements. Her employer has given her a day's in-house training in l & p and now expects her to offer this as a service. My friend developed a substantial reaction to the products quite quickly and her GP advised her not to be exposed to the products any more.
Her employer told her that her employer's liability insurance would be invalidated if she used the products and so relieved her of any nail enhancement services.
Unfortunately, times are hard in this particular salon and the owner has dropped the prices considerably. She now insists that my friend carries out the treatments despite her allergy.
My friend has asked me for advice.
I have a nasty feeling that as my friend has worked there only 7 months or so this is a way of managing her out, as she is, strictly speaking, not fit to do the job for which she was employed.

I don't employ anyone so am asking for views and advice, please!

Oh my goodness, do the clients know she is not qualified to do nails??

She has the allergy cause she was not trained correctly and is now suffering over exposure more than likely.

The salon owner needs her head read, doesn't she understand she can't do this and expect clients to pay ANY kind money for enhancements when the person doing them is not trained or expect insurance to cover her correctly?

Your friend needs to stick up for herself, she's not done anything wrong, the salon owner has and would get in alot of trouble from the insurance company I would think, if they found out what she's doing.

But in saying all this, does your friend really want to be working for someone who clearly doesn't care about her health?
I'm sure there is a much better boss out there for your friend.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back