Enamel Reccommendations Please !!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxglove

Reaction score
I am currently training for my VCTC in Manicure and Pedicure, before goingon to learn Acrylics. At the moment, I am having lots of problems with the enamel......I have mastered the application, I think......but the enamel is not drying for literally hours :confused:

I have been using the Creative polishes, plus the Toughen UP and the Super Shiny as the top coat. I have used the Salon Systems Rapid Dry on top.

I really dont know what I am doing wrong, so am thinking about changing my range of enamels to see if that will help....

So, what do you use for natural nails? Also, how long dos the enamel take to dry?

Sorry it turned into a bit of a long winded rant.....but I am getting a little desperate !!

Thanks you all.......again!

As I have said before, As a professional, I want a polish that goes on easily. Doesn't go thick. Dries quickly, Has a top of the range beautiful brush and a stylish range of colours that is updatd regularly 2-3 times per year. Plus a range of treatments to sell on to my clients. Creative does it for me.

If Creative is not doing it for you then you ARE doing something wrong. Most likely applying the enamel way too thick. All enamel is paint. Paint takes time to dry. Thin coats and Supershiney top coat to finish then a quick spray of Solar speed Spray or Dry and Shine to help speed up the drying process. I challenge you to find any othe brand that dries more quickly ... assuming you do your part and apply the enamel the professional way... See the tutorial Perfect Polishing ....'nailclass'.

Evening Geeg.

Thank you for your reply.......I have indeed looked at the tutorial you mentioned.....I even printed it off and followed it to the letter. :)

I have applied the 2 coats of enamel very thinly...but my guinae pigs have found that their nails still arnt completely dry after 5 or 6 hours. They are touch dry after a few minutes, but the layers remain 'soft' and they seem to knock them very easily. The 'pearl' type ones seem to take longer to dry for some reason.......

I am sure it is my lack of knowledge that is the problem here and not the Creative range......but I dont have anything to compare it to.......I thought it was worth asking the question :)

Oh yes i have to agree i love creative polishes!! i have about 10 of them now and addicted to them :lol: :lol: they are bloody brilliant! :lol:

I only use creative and opi excellent polishes :lol:

First i use Creative stickey base then 1 or 2 layers of creative nail varnish followed by top coat and have never had any probs.

Shelley

Don't worry it takes time to get it right keep right at it you will get there in the end.
Make sure the room your working in is not to hot as well and is it just one particular person or all of them.
practise on your own nails and you will be able to judge better how thick or thin or what combiantions of polishes etc your using as some like to be ultra thin layers sucha s the pearls.
leave time between each layer, just chat to your client and explain what your doing and why, it helps you to remember and gives you extra seconds drying time.

Thank you Scattyfox. :)

I havnt been allowing much drying time in between coats - I had been told just go straight onto the next 'layer' when I had finished both hands, so that is something to try today.

So far, most of mu gunae pigs have mentioned the long drying times.....except my french manicure people - they have dried much quicker, but then I have been using a different brand for that.

I have heard that I can put a drop of Solar Oil on the nails and then smooth it over to help them dry - is this correct? I havnt tried it yet, though!

Speak soon!

Yes Solar Oil works wonderfully.

Do you think your friends could be exaggerating a bit??

If drying time was a problem with Creative enamels, no professional would touch it .... as it is, it is one of the most popular professional ranges.

Foxglove said:
I have heard that I can put a drop of Solar Oil on the nails and then smooth it over to help them dry - is this correct? I havnt tried it yet, though!

Speak soon!

Hi,

Yes you can. Why don't you try the SolarSpeed Spray which has been designed specifically for this purpose.

"It quickly dries enamel whilst moisturising the nail and cuticle area. It draws out solvents from the enamel layers for an instant and guaranteed set whilst enabling your clients to walk out of the salon within moments after a manicure / pedicure with dry workable nails."

I use it on all my clients and have never had a problem !

River

geeg said:
Do you think your friends could be exaggerating a bit??

If drying time was a problem with Creative enamels, no professional would touch it .... as it is, it is one of the most popular professional ranges.

Maybe, Geeg......but I do know for sure that one lady's nails were still 'soft' in the middle after 4 hours. That does seem like a long time.

I will try the Solar oil in a minute :) Failing that, I will buy some Solar Speed Spray as that sounds perfect!

Thanks again!

i use creative polishes and have never had a problem ,can i ask where you bought them from ? was it from creative or somewhere else ?the reason i ask is that maybe they are old polishes ?? i do know the solvents can break down in polishes which can cause them not to dry ??? but then again i have had some creative polishes for 4 years and they are stilll perfect :) ,
also are you making sure your bottles arnt gunked up round the rim???
hope this helps a bit , dee xxx

I bought the polishes from Ellisons, so they should be brand new.....oh, and no gunk around the top - I am trying to be a good girl :lol:

Ive been using Creative Polishes for 3 years now, and the drying time is the quickest ive found, espically now with the Dry & Shine (the best product on the market for me)

Solar Oil spray is also good to help dry the nails, but Dry & Shine does it for me!!!

When your applying polish, always make sure that the lady has everything out of her bag before applying polish or if its a lady you have reguarly, she may not mind directing where keys etc are in her bag, which also delays her time before shes going which helps the drying time.

Hope this helps xx :)

:confused: I have a few different brands (one of them an el cheapo) & none of them take that long to dry. The creative ones I find to be very fast drying. Have you put anything into the polish ie thinner ???

Hi

I used creative polish and OPI

OPI do some drops called drip dry - which are fab!!!!

I personally prefer to work with OPI - but like some of the creative colours.

Have you thought about the conditions of the room your working in??
When i was at college - the room was freezing and polish (all be it cheap practice stuff) used to take ages to dry.

The ideal room temperature to work in should be minimum 18 / 20 degrees.

HTH

SharonAuk said:
Ive been using Creative Polishes for 3 years now, and the drying time is the quickest ive found, espically now with the Dry & Shine (the best product on the market for me)

Yes, this is also a good product !

River

I've never tried the dry and shine i will have to give it a go.

You don't have to leave a long time in between just paint all ten then come back and roll your polio in your hands telling the client what colour your using and why and then start at the beginning and do the same with the top coat, but remember to float the top coat not pull it and have the clients hands and nails pointing down toward you or you could get a thicker layer on the plate and you want it to run toward you when your floating it not get stuck in the middle.

Latest posts

Back