Enhancements causing damage to the natural nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem81

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I hope you don't mind but I'm a fairly new nail technician and I Wanted to clarify a few things with you.

Do nail enhancements damage the natural nail in any way?

I always inform my clients that it is poor care of the enhancements that lead to damage (i.e not applying solar oil/picking/using nails as tools etc) and incorrect removal. But even when I do remove the enhancements properly the nails still look damaged, even after a nourishing manicure. They look dehydrated and brittle.

Do enhancements cause any damage to the natural nail?

:eek: It is true that if you do not take the proper care over your nails and of course the enhancements, then you will find damage occuring.I.e if you are too abrasive to the natural nail bed whilst filing/buffing etc this will thin and damage the nail. I also believe that if you are careful and follow the proceedures you will be able to have wonderful enhancements and when removed correctly, healthy natural nail beds.(although saying that, the natural nail will not be the same virgin nail as previous to the enhancement as a thin layer of nail has been buffed and de oiled and a chemical added to adhere the enhancements,so they will feel weeker and softer. I think that the only alternative is having manicures instead,or Bio nAils as they allow the natural nail to remain healthy.look htem up on the web,Its the way forward perhaps or be natural and go for the bare basics.......still very saught after manicure care.......good luck.:lol:

Mmmmm do they damage your nails?.. Good question. I'd love to say no in no way is the natural nail affected, but at the end of the day your nails can be affected by the glue used or the acetone that they may be removed with etc..

I find, the client that wants enhancemnts usually have bad nails to begin with and they can only be improved on (IMO)

My clients are usually delighted with how great their nails look after enhancements. Obviously they can be a little bit dehydrated if removed with acetone or buffing but with a bit of tlc there's no reason why their nails shouldn't be anything but perfect after removal.

What gives them a bad name are the clients that rip them off themselves and then say "God those enhancements ruined my nails":eek:

:eek: It is true that if you do not take the proper care over your nails and of course the enhancements, then you will find damage occuring.I.e if you are too abrasive to the natural nail bed whilst filing/buffing etc this will thin and damage the nail. I also believe that if you are careful and follow the proceedures you will be able to have wonderful enhancements and when removed correctly, healthy natural nail beds.(although saying that, the natural nail will not be the same virgin nail as previous to the enhancement as a thin layer of nail has been buffed and de oiled and a chemical added to adhere the enhancements,so they will feel weeker and softer. I think that the only alternative is having manicures instead,or Bio nAils as they allow the natural nail to remain healthy.look htem up on the web,Its the way forward perhaps or be natural and go for the bare basics.......still very saught after manicure care.......good luck.:lol:

Bio nails do not allow the nail to remain healthy any more than any other product.
No nail enhancement will damage the nail, only a bad technician or a client mistreating them.

Latest posts

Back