Essentail nail course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelsey

Reaction score
Hiya just wondering if any of you guys have done a course with this site if so what was it like did you enjoy it etc...This is the course i am looking to go with as it looks pretty good and the price isnt that bad :)

hello there ok i have the en gel and airbrushing (fab)

i did pass the course but found even though i have done l&P i didn't have the confidence to go out and do nails, i did do some but when it came to problems like lifting and breaking i was a little blind !!

i am now going back to college and having to spend another £500 to repeat gel but also it inc l&P and fiberglass !!

so after experiencing a home learn i would say save your pennies and go on a coures where someone is watching over you with hands on advice and experience!!

just to add i really enjoyed the course and this is just my opinion :)

Many people don't have the freedom or time to be able to go to a college to train and this is perfectly understandable. Is this the reason that you would like to train with EN?

Many people, including on this forum, have trained with EN, but have found that they have then felt the need to go on and do more training which ends up costing alot of money.

The reason I would not choose a home based/self study course is because, for one, I don't believe I am disciplined enough to study on my own. Secondly and more importantly, I don't like the idea of not having a tutor or other students to learn from.

In a class setting, you can be corrected at the time of making an error. You can also ask questions and receive answers straight away.

If you do choose to learn with EN, bare in mind that you will probably need to get more training (more £££) before you feel confident enough to work on paying customers.

I am by no means knocking self learn courses as they are right for some people in certain circumstances. Another factor to take into account is public liability insurance as many reputable insurers will not provide you with cover with a home learn course.

I've done an EN course. I agree with a lot of things already said. I'm a mother with little ones and did the course to see if nails was for me and to give me self a purpose other than motherhood :lol: I have learnt from the course and the nail trainer is a great peice of equipment but I will be going on to do further training (although i think you always should whatever course you start with)

The biggest thing to consider in my opinion, is why you've chosen a home learning course. As said already, its hard work motivating yourself and you have to be really critical of your own work as nobody else is there to say how you're doing!! I've had to try and solve the issues i've come across without help from a tutor (although you can call EN for advice).

Its not a bad thing to choose to do if you think you have the motivation to make it work but its not an easy way in and you wont become an instant nail technician!! It took me 6 months to complete the EN course and after paying for the maintenance course it wasnt any cheaper than a classroom based course. I also dont know if many salons would take you on with a home learning certificate. Just think carefully about how you would approach the course and if you can motivate yourself for the long haul of learning!! To be honest, its a long learning process whatever course you take so be perepared!!! :hug:

P.S I have check into the insurance and both the guild and babtac recognise the EN certification. HTH x

Thanks for your help guys i was goining to do a apprentiship but where i live ive rung up all the nail tech's on the island none of them have any spaces :cry:So i had a look on the internet to see where there was courses came across this looked very cheap compared to other places so thought i might go with them but thought id see firstly what everyone eles thought about the course i do mine and family and friends nails Not saying im a pro but i know all the prep L+P ratio how to apply tips the bascis really so thought it could go to my advantage :smack: But like uve all said college could be a good one although its going to cost me like 3x more it would be more helpfull some what... Thanks guys for your replys:hug:

@Mrs Clooney: I am a beauty professional and I bought Public Liability Insurance from - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

They were extremely helpful in explaining different terms and conditions to me. Quite impressed by their quote and the service.

If you need any more info, feel free to contact me.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi just to let you know i have just completed the en acrylic course and am awaiting grading and have also just started the nail art and airbrush course with en. i find them very good woth support and the course i find also good.....good luck with yours.:)

I have just completed the EN nail art course, I thought it was fab and couldnt put it down so no problem with lack of motivation. I'm waiting to hear if I passed, if I have I'm going to try air brushing with them next

HTH

I started in 2007 and was looking at EN. I was disappointed that people were not saying "yay go for it" on this site and I was a bit defensive. I now know why they were not so enthusiastic, I did the L&P course and although it was ok and I was excited to get it, it didnt teach me much. I had to go on a course with EzFlow to get the training I needed to understand nails and get face to face education. I seriously advise you if you really want to learn the nail business that you go on an in class course. EN is not a bad course but they are really a tester in my opinion to see if you enjoy it but it is an expensive one. x

@Mrs Clooney: I am a beauty professional and I bought Public Liability Insurance from
Its worth checking with them. (Links removed)

Well I am extremely happy for you, but as a 'Beauty Professional' perhaps you have training in other areas of the beauty industry where your insurance covers you?

I would like to reiterate, that I said it was worth checking about insurance cover with major reputable insurers before emabarking on a course. We have had numerous nail techs in the past who end up unhappy for various reasons after completeing home learn courses.

What is more, when they make enquiries about doing conversion courses, they find that they are turned down for conversions because the home learning is not recognized and they end up having to retrain.

It is worth considering all these factors before parting with large amounts of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

just thought i'd put my two penneth in :)

I have been training with EN since July 09, and have qualified in Gel & L&P and am now studying Sculpting and Mani & Pedi.

I decided to to train with them due to my work commitments, and have to say that I practice every weekend (and have a couple of clients in the week who I practice on) and don't find it a chore at all as I love doing nails. However, I would recommend that you read extra book's than what is in the course as is does not give you a full background of the nail/infections/chemistry etc, I am reading Milady's Standard Nail Technology at the moment and find this really interesting.

I know that a lot of people on here would not recommend EN but it suited my requirements at the time and the nails I am producing now are looking better every time so it has to count for something.

Rebecca
x

Hi, I fully agree with Lissa, did the Acrylic Course, Airbrush Course & Nail Art Course with EN, loved them passed with distinction but a year down the line i still felt i only had the confidence to do friends!! There is definately a huge difference in actually having someone teaching you as i felt at the time i picked up some bad habits! Dont let that put you off tho, there are so many talented & honest Nail Techs on here that will help you should u need a wee bit more guidance & confidence!! Im coming on leaps & bounds by just reading & listening & never feeling insulted by comments made because at the end of the day if people all say "Oh they r great" & dont tell you ur flaws you'll never learn!? I love nails & some of the Techs on here r out of this world! Just my opinion, you do whats good for you x:hug:

Depends on if you want/wish to be respected.

This course is only considered as an "induction" or introduction to nails, if you really think about it, what would you prefer?

A DVD or a real person? And if you were a client, would you prefer someone trained by a real person or a DVD tutorial?

Hi
I agree it all depends on what type of person and learning style you have. I am taking the EN nail art one, and this is perfect for me as I am already a crafty person and most of this is self taught, i find enthusiasm come from friends asking for demos or even having a go themselves, my step daughter loves any chance to get the nail trainer out and working through each one as if she were doing the course too, and she's only 7.

However acrylics and other extension courses, that i would say is a whole different story, and if you are prepared to put the time in to keep on this forum and research as much as possible then it is doable, but having had a bash on my own with the lending of material and a starter kit from sallys (as opposed to the 500 quid plus it is) you really do need some willing victims ooops models, as there's no way you can become accomplished on a fake hand simply because of the prep work, my own nails permanently lift and having done the leg work and study time and keeping a network of tech on hand I am just starting to see where i am going wrong, so dedication certainly is the key!

Latest posts

Back