Essential waxing points - any advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemzom

Reaction score
Hey, im pretty new to the industry and really want to be the best possible waxing therapist I can be. Ive made myself a few 'pointers' to ensure i follow before and after every wax, anything im doing incorrect or not doing please let me know.
Ive only just completed my training and this weekend have a few 'models' i will be practising a leg wax on...so nervous so having this to refer too will just build a little confidence, providing i know its correct:) Please be critical!!!;)

Every Wax!

1. Cover surface with couch Roll
2. Put Gloves on
3. Apply hand sanitizer
4. Ask client to remove appropriate clothing – examine area for contra-indications
5. Cleanse Area (to prevent infection and remove any oils from skin that will prevent wax from ‘grabbing’ the hairs)
6. Apply SMALL amount of jasmine oil (to ensure skin is hydrated and will make wax less painful for client)
7. Test Temperature of wax on my wrist (test temperature from side of wax pot as this will be hottest)
8. Test Temperature of wax on small area due to be waxed on client
9. Dip spatula (using plastic one) in wax pot
10. Wipe away wax from one side of spatula
11. Slowly twist spatula until wax has stopped dripping
12. Stretch the skin -from above
13. Wipe wax from spatula onto area waxing (spatula flat to client’s skin)
14. Using 45 degree angle pull the wax down to a thin layer (if you think the wax is too thickly applied do not attempt to go over the same area to thin the wax out – this will just pull on the clients skin
15. Apply wax strip, one firm rub onto wax strip
16. Stretch skin from below
17. Pull wax strip in the opposite direction to the growth of hair in one swift movement (pull backwards not upwards)

Never…
Wax round a corner
Wax over same area more than twice – if after two attempts the hairs have not been removed then pluck!
Double dip when waxing facial or bikini area

Always…
Apply wax in direction of growth of hair
Remove wax in opposite direction of hair
Ensure hair is 1.5cm long – any longer then trim the hair?
Use wooden spatulas for facial and bikini areas – never double dip!!

Post Wax
1. Ensure all hairs removed and pluck any remaining hairs
2. Apply after wax lotion
3. Place plastic spatulas in barbicide to remove any residue wax
4. Wash spatulas in soapy water
5. Spray antiseptic spray onto spatulas’ to sterilise

Fill out or if a previous client update a record card.

I just use wooden spats for everything and never double dip. Quicker as easier ... Gives me super thin wax application and most importantly clients prefer it.

Your list is great and it will get really easy and you will develop your own method of working that best suits you as you go along.

I prefer to use a metal spatula for the larger areas like legs etc and I personally think you get a much thinner application of wax, but we all decide for ourselves what works best. I keep an empty tin full of solvent or wax equipment cleaner and put my spatulas in this and then at the end of the day I clean them , its much easier as the wax will have been removed with the solvent.

HTH Jack

It won't do your own skin much good if you're testing the wax on yourself 15 times a day. You should get to know that your wax is at the right temperature at a glance (and you will in no time).

Don't put your plastic spatula in Barbicide until you've cleaned the wax off of it. You can do it as Jack said in a container with solvent, or if you want to clean it immediately, spray it with solvent and then wipe clean with a waxing strip.

My skin isn't having any problems.

And also when clients tell me the wax is too warm I know exactly how it feels. And if they complain they have been burned I can tell my insurer that I tested the wax and that I did in the clients presence.

It is all very goo getting to know a product but a lot of them contain natural products like beeswax. The chemical makeup of these ingredients can very through the seasons and batch to batch. So while the consistency make look right you don't know what the temperature is.

Can you tell the difference between cold water and hot water just by stiring it?

My skin isn't having any problems.

And also when clients tell me the wax is too warm I know exactly how it feels. And if they complain they have been burned I can tell my insurer that I tested the wax and that I did in the clients presence.

It is all very goo getting to know a product but a lot of them contain natural products like beeswax. The chemical makeup of these ingredients can very through the seasons and batch to batch. So while the consistency make look right you don't know what the temperature is.

Can you tell the difference between cold water and hot water just by stiring it?
Yes I can……..steam coming off of it is a good indication. lol

Trust me Mat and feel free to enter me for Britains Got Talent but I know my wax.

Gemzom,

Your list is great (from a client perspective) and personally if you care and perform in this much detail about how you wax I'd recommend you in an instant. By reading your list I can identify how many bad waxes I've had over the years!!!

Good luck with your career, you'll do wonderfully.

Wow....I'm in the presence of waxing heavy weights.
Love getting all this advice, I was trained 20 years ago now and techniques change and move on, so glad to have all your advice.
Just looked at Jack Dunns website and its amazing! It goes without saying that I'm in aw of Kim lawless!

Latest posts

Back