Evening appointments when mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairet

Reaction score
I just wondered how you mobile techs manage with your evening appointments.

It seems, at the moment, that all of my evenings are being taken up with clients. Many people who can afford up keep of their nails, work full time, and obviously have to have their appointments after working hours.

Recently, I feel that I'm spending so much time in the evenings, that I don't seem to have time to even eat a proper meal, because by the time I get home, its too late to start cooking.

I can't work Saturdays, because my husband works and I have no child care.

I just wondered how you all manage with this.

The obvious answer, I guess, is cutting down on my clients - its just a difficult thing to do!

Yes Claire, it can be difficult at times.

However I do have the odd client who does shifts, so I can get in a few day time appointments.

Admittedly I think that doing the evenings is all part and parcel of being a mobile nail tech, you do have to be prepared to do odd hours.

I personally find it works well for me with hubby working shifts, as I also have no child care.

Being mobile is not an easy option when working in the nails/beauty industry, in fact it can be alot harder. However, in my situation the the good points over ride the bad.

Hope this helps!:)

I found this a while ago as well as day appointments i was working most evenings sometimes from 5.30 sometimes from 8pm and with my boys to deal with first i wouldnt be eating until gone 10pm, so i decided i had to cut back on days and evenings.
I now have monday and from 1pm friday off during the week and only book in if requested weekends, but i tend not to work these.
so now i do tuesday wednesday thursday day and evenings, i am doing the same clients i would spread over a week but this works better for me knowing I have monday and friday to clean do the washing, and saturday and sunday seeing to my kids.
I dont have childcare or a hubby to help with the boys and i was running myself into the ground.
set proper days and hours to work and try your hardest to stick to these or your routine will go out of the window

set proper days and hours to work and try your hardest to stick to these or your routine will go out of the window
Such wise words Joanne.

At the end of the day one of the many good things about being mobile is that you can decide what hours you want to work. Which is something that can be a little difficult when working in a salon.

Hope you get yourself sorted. I know that sometimes it's hard to say no, but when work is getting to the point of having no other life, it is worth considering.

Thanks guys. I'll have to learn to start saying no. I've been doing it now for about 3 years, but it suddenly seems to be getting to me a bit. Feel like I could do with more structure.

My day appointments are fine, and I normally allow myself to do the school run drop off and pick up which is great.

Just feel like I'm all work and no play these days!!!

Thanks for the advice.:hug:

I know exactly what you are all saying. The problem is if you havent got much in and someone wants an evening - you do it (after all you have nowt else in) BUT they keep this app all the time - then the busy period creeps up and your working ALL day plus the evening - result - tired and bad digestive problems!!!

Start as you mean to go on.

Treat it like you would be working in salon. A start time - and an end of trade time. Stick to it!

Its amazing when you cant fit a client in - hows they somehow manage to find an alternative time.

One client didnt want a Saturday - cos that was her day off!!! (see they like to keep their day off special)

I usually ask clients to come to me in the evenings, like a lot of you my husband works odd hours and child care can be a problem, so if the children have activities I can usually find someone (another parent) who can drop them off and Ill be at home when they get back. Can be a bit awkward at times, bt found that most people are very understanding and will try to fit in.

Its so hard balancing everything, I know exactly how you feel. Last year I felt I was working all the time, days and evenings and then I just thought enough is enough!! I decided to change my hours for the better.
I work mon 9-9, tues off, weds 9-9, thurs 9-6, fri 9-6 and sat 9-3. Its great 2 late nights a week and I have a life, see my kids and eat sometimes at a civilised time!!
My biggest lesson learnt with clients is if you offer an inch they will take a mile, if its not there to offer then they simply can't have it!

Hey chick, i put a post up about this last week, im working 3 jobs, 7 days a week and evenings, its becoming a pain but i love work and need the ££. Im noticing the strain though, i dont eat properly, im tired and find it hard to switch off when i do go to bed, i dont spend quality time with people i should. Im gonna end up ill if i dont sort me act out. Iv left tonight off, thurs and fri off this week, iv had to say no, as im working long hours next weekend as well as 9-5 every day this week, good news is im booking a hol today, 2 weeks at the end of april..... first one in 3 years, cant flipping wait ! xx

Hey chick, i put a post up about this last week, im working 3 jobs, 7 days a week and evenings, its becoming a pain but i love work and need the ££. Im noticing the strain though, i dont eat properly, im tired and find it hard to switch off when i do go to bed, i dont spend quality time with people i should. Im gonna end up ill if i dont sort me act out. Iv left tonight off, thurs and fri off this week, iv had to say no, as im working long hours next weekend as well as 9-5 every day this week, good news is im booking a hol today, 2 weeks at the end of april..... first one in 3 years, cant flipping wait ! xx

I'm in the same boat here, I also work three jobs, full time at a Dealership, two or three nights a week in a pub, I work in my Nail Studio on Saturday's as well as squeezing in the odd massage client here and there on an evening. Oh yeah and I also have a Karate class to go to and do all the admin for. It's a hard balancing act and sometimes, as unbelievable as it may be, I drop the ball.

But truth be told, I do this for the love of the job (not working in the dealership, that bit sucks) I don't have a husband or kids to worry about and I work as much or as little as I want to. Although with my impending move (out of parents house and into rented with mates) there may be a little more working because I have to and not so much because I want to.

i work every weekday evening and have appointments in the day.....so sometimes it feel like i am working from 9am till 9pm 5 days a week, with just a hour break for picking kids up from school. But then other days are not so busy so i don't mind working at night....i usually think what else would i be doing...??? sat on settee watching some rubbish on the box.

thing is if i was to stop working at 5pm i would upset and even lose around 70% of my clients...as they all work full time.

I do have the odd night when i think i would love to just chill, but once my client is here and we get chatting i soon forget and just get on with it and enjoy it.

If i really really feel i am in need of a night off...i line out my diary for that night....gives me something to look forward too, even if it is a long hot bath and rubbish on the box....:lol:

i usually think what else would i be doing...??? sat on settee watching some rubbish on the box.

thats my point!! lol most of my appointments are after 5 cos i work during the day and so do my clients! xx

I am available to work during school hours and in the evenings.

This week so far I haven't had any evening appointments (although next week is jammed in the evenings!) But I am like a different woman! Feel so much more relaxed. I find it affects the way I am with the kids and everything. Even time to fit in a chat with hubby before geeking!! :lol:

Ho hum, can't have everything. :rolleyes:

Plus I must be very selfish cos when it's school holidays I actively encourage everyone to come in the evenings and on Saturdays, to free up time in the week so I can be with my kids while they still want me! (At 7 & 9 they still like me!)

It is a big juggling act though, isn't it?

Plus I must be very selfish cos when it's school holidays I actively encourage everyone to come in the evenings and on Saturdays, to free up time in the week so I can be with my kids while they still want me! (At 7 & 9 they still like me!)

It is a big juggling act though, isn't it?
thats not selfish at all, i try and make all apointments in the evening but my sister inlaw has the boys so i can continue with my regulars during the hols.
yep you do have to juggle things, i have a calender and a diary and write all dates of hols and assemblies etc in advance so i know where i am up to

Yes, I do that too . . .

Most of my clients are very understanding as most are mums (even if for some it was a while ago), and can remember what it's like!

All of my work is evenings and weekends. I offer weekday appointments from 7pm and all day/evening Saturday and Sunday.
I love it. I can still do the school run and spend every day with my litl'n - something that I never wanted to compromise. And most nights I can have dinner with my family and put the kids to bed as most of my clients book for about 8 -8.30 (getting their kids to bed too!).
I obviously don't get home until late - but I am up until about 1am every night anyway, so I might as well be doing something I enjoy and earning the family a bit of money in the process.

Latest posts

Back