Ever do a set of nails and think they're a mess?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeymel

Reaction score
I just did a set of bio gel polish nails, the client originally wanted a sheer pink with glitter but after putting on the 2 coats of pink she wanted french and im not brill at french, I can get a nice smile line but every nails different and the white was patchy, I could see straight away they were a mess, so I suggested putting a glitter overlay on to hide some of it. At the end I just felt like I really didn't want to charge for them because I would never have paid for it but she said they were lovely but if I got nails like that id be so disappointed, she was with me 2hrs 15 mins for a soak off and re-gel and now I just feel like shes going to be showing everyone and im totally embaressed. I know its easy to say that the client was happy so they must have been ok but they honestly weren't and its not down to me being overly critical or low confidence because I know I can do some lovely nails. I would upload the pic but it wont let me :( xxx

I've done this :(

Sometimes it just happens Hun.
You would be surprised how little some clients notice thou so if she says they are nice, she might just mean it.

If you are really worried, ring her tomorrow and say can I have a look at your nails, I've looked at the photo I took and I'm not 100% happy but it could be the light, are you happy? - can I come look at them and redo them for free if I'm not happy as I would hate for them not be be right.

This way, even if she's not 100% happy she will think you're a sweetie and prob recommend you for being so lovely! Xx

I've felt that way a few times, I remember I had clients back to back and had really bad period pains and by the end of the day I was stressed and flustered and I just didn't do a great job for one client. The client was happy but i think as professionals we are really critical, especially if you are usually a perfectionist. I would do as the above comment says, it's win win really :) and try not to stress!

X

I think as long as she was happy with them (and i think you can normally tell if someone is genuinely happy with their nails or if they're unsure and just trying to be polite) , then you should just leave it. We've probably all done a set of nails and thought they just aren't quite right but that's what happens when you're a perfectionist and passionate about your work. I'm sure they look lovely to your client and you're worrying for nothing!

I try and not ask clients the questions like 'how did your nails last for you' 'did they stay on for you' ect as it means you are doubting your own work and will then give them a reason to possibly try it on a bit when there was absolutely nothing wrong with their nails!

I would wait until her next appointment and see if she says anything (which i'm sure she wont) and try not to worry about it :)

Well her next appointment isnt for 3 and a half weeks so I think I'll be anxious till then lol, I know if I txt her she'll just say they are lovely cos shes a really enthusiastic person, I think I just feel extra bad because she was saying shes really skint at the min but really looks forward to her nail appointments xx

The client changed he'd mind half way through the overlay, if she said French at beginning would you have done the 2 coats of light pink first ?

Aww dont be too critical. I've done a rebalance of brisa sculpts, then she tells me she has to make sure she leaves me at a certain time because shes meeting someone, so already the pressure is on. Filed down what lifting i could see but because her nails are in a shocking state (drilled and very thin) i could see that these are not going to last long, then after curing i saw a tiny bit more lifting, but there was nothing i could do she had to go.

I told her i didn't know how long they would last, she understood and i said call me if you need to.

I wasn't happy but she was, we are our own worst critics :sad:

To make it worse she wanted me to use her own polish on her nails, it was thick as pudding and gloopy, bloody nightmare to apply :irked:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like this I'm new to acrylics an my nails at the mo are frustrating me on pops an the en nail trainer my application is spot on lovely apex crisp smile line look lovely. On a person omg what a mess I won't even advertise I do acrylics. I'm charging £13 at the min to cover products as want to get as much experience but there just hideous :( ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384677980.089836.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384678004.239712.jpg

The second pic I ain't butchered her cuticles she's a very bad nail biter lol x

Yeah I've done this too! Trust me we'eve all been there we are only human! I'm highly critical so never100% happy with my work!

It happens to us all, we are after all only human - every job in the world has good and bad days, I think the key thing is how you handle it.
The suggestion above of giving her a call is a really good idea or you could also say that after looking at the picture, you felt they weren't your best bit of work and so as an apology, you'll only charge her half price next time... I know you may make a slight loss on that one set, but it's better than losing a customer full stop and she'll appreciate your perfectionism.
I did some caviar nails the other day (and I've been doing nails since time began!!) and they just went completely wrong - bloomin nightmare!! Thankfully it was a regular who has been coming to me for years and so she knew it wasn't my normal standards... I was actually quite adamant that she was not walking out my salon with nails looking like that, I insisted on doing them again (thankfully it was just the two ring fingers) and said I was never using those bloody balls again!!!! She saw the funny side and had glitter on the ring fingers instead... but because I handled it in such a way, she was fine! It did make me half hour late for next appt though, thankfully last one of the day though and she was happy to sit and have a coffee and a natter with us while I sorted the nail disaster... to which both my clients found funny as I was like "for goodness sakes these bleedin caviar balls, blah blah blah"!
See, so it happens to us all... just handle it in a confident way and take control of the situation, people are far more forgiving then as we all have bad days, even clients!! Xx

I still worrie about this I even text most of my clients after 1 week asking if everything is ok cause I get so paronoid over them haha! My friend has her acrylics on 5 weeks I am so suprised but happy as I was worried they be off after a week!

I have done this a few times. On one occasion I did some hated them, a few weeks later the client put a pic on Facebook, I was quite upset as I thought she had gone elsewhere I thought have to admit nice nails though. Lol when I looked a little closer I noticed the engagement ring she was showing off and the nails that I had done lol so hated them when I did them but when I saw them through fresh eyes loved them. Xxxx

Latest posts

Back