Excess stock - what do you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do with your excess stock?

• Let it gather dust in a cupboard

Votes: 75 49.7%
  • Ebay it

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • Geekbay it

Votes: 25 16.6%
  • Send it to a friend in the industry to use

Votes: 22 14.6%

• Total voters

nemotail

Invisible Geek
Reaction score
There have been a lot of discussions of late surrounding the sale of professional products on Ebay. What do you do with stock you dont need?

I own up to having Ebayed in the past - things like polishes, topcoats and gel etc. I have not sent any products via the mail which are flamable. This isnt a profit making excercise - I dont buy to sell on - but a way of getting some money back on products I dont need.
I have also used Geekbay but havent found it that successful for me selling things but I purchased a few items. Is there a reason people dont use Geekbay? .
I have quite a bit of excess stock which I would like to get rid of so what do you do?

I try not to have excess stock - I am not a compulsive purchaser - I know what I like and that is what I buy LOL. If I do have stuff I dont use, then I am afraid it festers in a cupboard.

When I changed my varnish supplier, I had a load of varnishes kicking about that I didnt use, so I sent them to a deserving cause :wink:.

naturalnails said:
When I changed my varnish supplier, I had a load of varnishes kicking about that I didnt use, so I sent them to a deserving cause :wink:.
...And some gorgeous colours there were too! :biggrin:

Well I ticked the gathering dust because I have some coloured Calgels doing exactly that, as is my Brisa kit :o
Ive given away mini hand lotions that I didnt like to girls in my classes, and I once sold one of my nail trainers to a fellow geek (but that was before we had Geekbay).
Any nail art products or polishes that Im not keen on go into my classes and soon get used up.
Never done the Ebay thing though.

Hi there

Im a CND girl all the way...Natalie range for beauty. Not much doesnt get used or sold.

I enquire in to local fund raisers. From fashion parades to trivia nights and donate what I can in return for advertising & promotion during the night.
Or they are prizes in our promotional give aways.
Sometimes works out alot cheaper than regular advertising, & keeps your business name fresh in people's minds while clearing out excess stock.

XX J XX

Thanks for the replies so far - the poll is anonymous so even if you dont want to post a vote is appreciated.

JNail - yep I understand where you are coming and I have in the past made up gift bags for raffle prizes but what about non retail items of stock?

I changed brands a while ago and gave my old stuff to another tech who could make use of it, it would have just gone in the bin otherwise, good luck to her if it works for her but it wasn't right for me.

"JNail - yep I understand where you are coming and I have in the past made up gift bags for raffle prizes but what about non retail items of stock?"

Hi Nemotail...
The only non items of retail we have are the non retail items such as Cuticle remover - Sea Serum & the Professional Salon only Thai range for beauty.
Truley everything besides decor items within premise's that change seasonally gets used for something.
When I first started purchasing for myself years ago there were things that got binned or given away. Not so over the last 10 years. I've learned to purchase wisley & always look long term considering also can it /they be multi tasked.

HtH
XX J XX

I bought a lot of spa ritual polishes 3 of each and put some on ebay as I didnt use em 3 were of each colour but thats all everything else I use and excess stuff Ive set to 1 side to practise on myself and my sis

If i have lots of excess stock i usually discount & sell it to friends or give as gifts.

I have a friend/client that i gave a CND enamel & a night cream from the range i use, for her birthday. When she'd used them up she bought both of them again - result !

I would never sell it on ebay as its unlikely anything would go for its RRP, stuff usually sells for its trade price.

Well am I the greedy one?!!! Can I tick all 4?! Cos that's me!

I changed from NSI to Creative last year and have loads of that stuff lying around. It is gathering dust at the moment but when I remember I will geekbay it!

xx

I don't have products left over or lying around as I don't swap between my brand, but I did have quite a bit of nailart stuff that I didn't use anymore and I sent that to a Geek in need.
Dianne (Mooredianne) was doing some nailart classes (if I remember rightly) and I sent her a load of it incl old tips that I don't use anymore, foils etc etc, so... I ticked the last box, send it to a friend in the industry :wink2:

I dont really have any excess stock as i buy as and when needed, and if i did have any im sure it would get used at some point lol x

i went a lil bit crazy about products shopping
i wanted to have everything
and i m sure i will have way too much acrylic powder
but it seems that if it s in proper storage it s staying good so...
but if i really have too much i ll probably sell it on e bay why not
it s still better than wasting it

To all the dusty cupboard hoarders - who is up for a Geekbay fest or swap shop?

I do try really hard not to buy stuff I dont need, but I do have a little bit of a 'collection' going in the cuboard under the stairs, it will probably stay there until I get fed up of seeing it, then will probably bin it or give it away!:)

i am such a compulsive spender, let me loose at my suppliers and i spend spend spend, BUT its only on things that i am going to use so i dont see the harm in that..:lol:

nemotail said:

swap shop would be good as i have a lot of polishes i bought as retail polishes and they haven't sold. in fact the only thing i sell are solar oil (lots of) and supershiney i think i only ever sold one coloured enamel ever!! most clients i have won't pay a tenner for a polish when i can paint there nails with that colour for them for them after a mani/enhancements!! xx

HEEEEEEEY guys!!! If you ever have the need to get rid of excess supplies I'm your girl, as I sometimes can't afford to buy all the little products I would like to have....Comon guys!! I'll pay shipping!!:lol:

nemotail said:

i voted geekbay....i have just started the geekbay fest nemo......have a look for some bargains and help a fellow geek earn some money for their holidays :)

stanleyann

Latest posts

Back