Excuse me while I PANIC momentarily

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimummy

Reaction score
I'm 23 and as I have kids I had decided to commit to doing my hairdressing course when the kiddies were a little older (and childcare would be easier and less expensive). That was, of course, until I got seriously bored and decided I wanted to do it NOW! Lol

I thought I'd ease myself in as it's been a while since I've done any sort of education and as such I'm doing a course in Nails first. I also figured I'd do a few extras such as lash extensions etc and make sure I could stick it out in a college based environment at 23.

I was starting to look towards doing hair in September but panicked completely when I noticed that my local college aren't offering NVQ 2 Hair anymore. They aren't offering VTCT or C&G either-so I'm stumped!

We have a private training academy here but the course is £3500 :eek:
I know that's cheap in comparison to SAKS but still...it's waaaaaay more than I can afford!

I doubt I'll get a placement in a salon being 23, so I really am beginning to run out of ideas. Can anyone offer any advice?
Is there any way I could pay per session with a private tutor or something?

is there no near by college's apart from the ones youve mentioned that does it, as i did my diploma in hairdressing (while still in school) in telford but i ended up going to college in stafford as they have a better hairdressing standard co pared the the other course, iykwim? xxx

Unfortunately not :( Not close enough that I could travel to daily and still juggle my home commitments. I can't believe the college have stopped doing it! Really don't know what I'm going to do...

Have you actually spoken to the college about this? It may be that it's off the menu for the time being but will be reinstated in the future.
Also, contact Train to Gain
Here's a quick search that I did on their website for hair training near the DN1 postcode area.
Employers Guide to Training

Just a bit of advise I have taught for Toni and Guy and colleges both very different and yes you do get what you pay for. Recently taught for a company called THE LONDON HAIR ACADEMY for two days and to my disgust found out their are some real sharks out their that promise you the training and it is dreadful. So please be careful when booking a cheaper course really find out about them cause £3000 is still a lot of money to you.
Any good hairdressing course without any experience is either going to be 18 weeks without colour or 30 weeks 5 days a week.(private)

As for the goverment sector they will not be enrolling now till Septmember but as for working and learning 23 is not too old but it is very hard work and long hours.

Try talking to Joshua Galvin school as they deal with salons to see if they know of any placements or Protocol is another one even city and guilds might be able to help with a training provider DONT GIVE UP.

hello
can i just ask why you 'doubt' you'll get a placement at 23?
i'm thinking of doing hair in sept as a part time course whilst doing beauty as a full time course (i have 2 little ones also) and i'm around your age so curious as to why you said that :o

x

It's much more expensive for salons to take on a junior after a certain age because under that certain age (I think it's 19) they get funding from the government which pays for most if not all their wage.

Yeah it's because of what Lynne said. They can pay school leavers apprentice salaries but after the first year (I think?) If they hire over 19's they have to pay them minimum wage.

I went for an interview once at a salon when I was 20. I'd got all the kids ready, taken them all into town on the bus, left them sat in a cafe with a friend whilst I went to see the guy (It was snowing and raining too so I loooked a right state! Lol)

As soon as I walked through the door he said sorry I'm looking for a school leaver. I was like-and you couldn't ring me to tell me that? Kids got flu from the rain and I just cried for days. I felt like a supermodel feels at 30 hahahahaha "Past my prime" as they say.

I phoned the college to confirm and they said it is off the list for the forseeable future because they've lost a lot of funding due to cut backs. I'd have thought they'd keep hair as it was one of the most sought after courses-but what do I know!

Grimsby is way too far out for me hun but thanks anyway.

I honestly think my only way is gonna be a private course but unless I can afford the £8000 to go with SAKS I'll have to really do my homework. Damnit it's gonna take me forever to save the money up :(

If you don't have any other NVQ level 2 quals Train To Gain can help, honestly!
What have you got to lose if you give them a call? Even if they can't help they'll know who can!

Ok so I rang Train 2 Gain today and they said that they could only offer funding through my local college and since they're not doing it anymore they can't help. :sad:

Is there any way I can take the assessments for NVQ separately somewhere? Maybe I could pay as I go along and have some private tuition from a tutor and then just do the assessments as and when I'm appropriately trained?

Just a thought...

oh right, i didn't know that about placements! that's kinda worrying, i just thought older students would be more in demand because they are older and with that come maturity etc etc.i didn't even think of money at all!

i was told that because i'm living as a lone parent at the moment i will have my courses paid for but when i go back to living with my partner (who works full time and on 'decent' wage) i then wont be elligible. of course i asked what happened if i moved in with my partner after i enrolled, would i then have to pay for the course and the lady i spoke to said no that would that be ok i asked if that was even legal and she said yes! so i guess in theory for each course i want to do i can go live at my grandparents with the children for a week or so, so i can enroll and then move back out. which doesn't seem honest at all, but apparently is all ok to do!

i hope you find something that is suitable and affordable for you to do.
x

OK, next stop is Business Link
Business support, information and advice | Business Link

0845 6 048 048

Ask for advice and help on education. They might be able to help you with childcare costs and provision whilst you're at college.
Don't fall at the first hurdles; keep going until you've exhausted every avenue!
Keep asking on here too.

really shocked to hear they are dropping this course took me 2 years to get on it cos the waiting list was so long i think they wasted too much money building the hub and now the students of donny have to suffer, its just a thought but have you tried oracle not sure what they offer but it might be worth a phone call.

really shocked to hear they are dropping this course took me 2 years to get on it cos the waiting list was so long i think they wasted too much money building the hub and now the students of donny have to suffer, its just a thought but have you tried oracle not sure what they offer but it might be worth a phone call.

Yes hun the course is £3500 I think? Other than that I'd need a placement

GeTaHead Training | Hairdressing as a Career - is it for me?

This website says over 19's should enquire as they may be able to secure funding for the NVQ they offer hun.

Find a Course - Habia Courses and Pricing - Habia

Unsure but this site says you can do the hairdressing in sections ( excuse the pun ) such as foundation cutting, advanced colour etc

I know nothing about hair hun and certainly know less about training avenues for hair but thought I would echo what Lynne said - search every nook and cranny until you can search no more. If hairdressing is in your heart to do then go for it with everything you have.

Good luck hun xxxx

Riiiiight...

I phoned careers advice (after business link told me to) and he was GREAT help. Really he was, he gave me oodles of info and also told me that Doncaster college are still offering the course. So I rang them and they told me that mature aplicants are being put on a waiting list because funding priority is for under 19's. So I rang him back and he told me to stick to my guns because they can't discriminate against me just because of my age.

Plus, I'm also claiming Jobseekers allowance so technically I'm entitled to maximum funding anyway! I don't have a full level 2 qualification either, so they should help me in theory.

He also gave me loads of websites to sift through to see if I can source private funding because they may be willing to pay for a privately run course e.g. Oracle.

Brittone I checked out Habia too, thought they may be able to help. The courses they offer look great-BUT you have to have at least 5 people attending and it's got to be in your own salon. So I'll have to crack on with what I've been given for now.

If only the college would answer their phone...:(

Latest posts

Back