Express lashes on pregnant client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynam121

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you can help?

I am in the process of moving house and i have stupidly packed my training manual away!

I have a client who is 20 weeks pregnant and who would love the express lashes done. obviously i can do this with the client sitting in the chair, but i just want to know if it is ok to do these lashes on her?

Her friend who is also pregnant has had them done, hence her interest at gteting them done. But i dont feel too comfortable with this until i am 100% sure this is safe to perform?

any help greatly appreciated!

Lx

When I did my training I was told not to do lashes on pregnant ladies; they did not suggest that there was any ingredients in the glue that were harmful, it was more of a case that should the pregnancy have problems your client may look at what she had done differently over the weeks leading up to the complications and assume that the treatment had been the cause!

Having said that one of my friends has been having lashes for the last 4 years through both her pregnancies and now has two beauty babies!:)

The other factor is it may effect your insurance so I would check with them and discuss the situation with your client. Be honest with her, she will appreciate you for being so understanding and caring.

I think you should firstly check with your insurance as if they say they will not cover you it will make no difference if its safe or not.
If alls fine just dont forget to patch test as skin can be more sensitive in pregnancy.

I think you should firstly check with your insurance as if they say they will not cover you it will make no difference if its safe or not.
If alls fine just dont forget to patch test as skin can be more sensitive in pregnancy.

Great advice. I know some lash companies are not insured to lash pregnant ladies (because I've had lash technicians call me to do a conversion course) so check with your insurers first!

Francesca

I don't do lashes, but I'm presuming you have to lay on your back while having them put on. I think the main thing you need to be concerned about is not letting a pregnant woman lie flat on her back. If causes to much pressure on the baby and the weight of the baby will press down on the major blood vessels, which may cause her to feel lightheaded or nauseus. I'm not sure how you'd get round it, but I'd make sure your insured. hth :green:

Hi guys, Im the trainer in manchester for Nouveau Lashes.
You should not do lashes at all on a pregnant client.
The main reason for this is that if your client does have a reaction they cant be given the medication to treat it as they may harm the baby.
This happened a while ago when a technician did the lashes on a pregnant woman and her face ballooned up like it does if you have a reaction to hair dyes. The technician took the woman to hospital and nothing could be done and she had to suffer the consequences.
Most insurance companies will not cover you either.
Even if they sign a disclaimer its not worth the paper its written on.
My advice is dont do them.
xx

I was trained by Nouveau and i was told that it wasn't a contra-indication. They won't let you lash pregnant clients though and the reason i was given was that it was just in case anything happens to the baby and the mom can turn round and say it might have been because she had her lashes done.
Other lash companies will insure you to lash pregnant clients though.
My insurance is with Salon Gold and they say to follow the recommendations of your course provider which is why i am going to do a conversion course so i am able to lash pregnant clients.
You don't need to have the clients flat, you can tilt the bed up a bit.

thank you for all your lovely replys!

I decided not to go ahead with this, my insurance does not cover this even if i carry out a patch test prior to this.

Never mind :)

L x

Hi Angelina, you are right that it never used to be on the list of contraindications, however we have changed this due to the above happening so we no longer back students doing the treatment on pregnant ladies.
Claire xx

Hi Angelina, you are right that it never used to be on the list of contraindications, however we have changed this due to the above happening so we no longer back students doing the treatment on pregnant ladies.
Claire xx
Pregnant clients are so difficult! (no offence to all the geeks with bumps :)).
It's the same with spray tanning. Some companies say it's ok and some don't.
Nouveau said they wouldn't allow us to lash pregnant clients when i trained anyway, they just said it wasn't a contra-indication but obviously this has changed since i trained. I was also told that there is no need to patch test so is this still the same? I don't patch test as that's how i was trained. I'm just wondering, if the pregnant lash client had had a patch test, then maybe the reaction would have shown up and she wouldn't have been allowed to go ahead with the treatment and this would have saved her going through the discomfort of a reaction. Also, do you think the reaction was down to her being pregnant or not?
I do think that the companies that do allow you to lash pregnant clients, also insist on doing patch tests first.
Touch wood i've never had anyone have a reaction as yet, although my first client ended up in casualty after the gel leaked out of the pads into her eye :eek:
Luckily it was the therapist i work with but it shocked me and i always tape the lashes down now and then place the gelpads (i use different ones now!) a little further down.
Hmmm maybe i should just patch test anyway. I think we are all wise after an event but prevention is better than cure!

Latest posts

Back