Eyelash extension application tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redchick

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I’ve been getting some pm with similar questions so thought I’d give some lash tips that might help you speed up :)
Some of these tips are ones I’ve read about, some I used to use, some I continue to use. Unfortunately my training was really bad so I didn’t learn any of these tips on my course years ago.
Set up
I put my lash pad, glue stone and lashes on the pillow next to my clients head, to the right because I’m right handed. I just find by having it that much closer I’m not twisting to reach over to a table. This prob saves me a second or two per lash, but those seconds make a difference when added up.
Taping up
Using some micropore tape you can tape some of the clients top lashes to their eyelids when you have secured the bottom lashes and the clients eyes r shut, this is called taping up. This then makes gaps, so it’s easier to isolate. Some people like to put some lashes on first then tape up to reveal other lashes, others like to tape up then put the lashes on. You have to keep removing the tape and taping up to reveal other lashes until you’re done. Just b careful when removing the tape.
Isolation
It’s easier to use 2 pairs of tweezers to isolate. With your right hand have a pair of tweezers closed, push the lashes out the way. With your left hand isolate the lash to the left of where your other tweezer has parted the lashes. If you don’t have a spare pair of tweezers then use a long skewer stick to push lashes out of the way to isolate. The skewer stick is great because u can also use it to wipe off any excess glue when lashing.
X tweezers
I love, love, love x tweezers and think they're fab for beginners. Set a lash ready in the x tweezers for application, put the x tweezers down. Now you've got 2 free hands to isolate a lash. Hold 2 pairs of tweezers to isolate, or skewer stick to push lashes aside. When u hav isolated ur lash put the tweezer / skewer stick in your right hand down. U can now pick the x tweezers up and drop the lash in.
Mink lashes
These lashes come on a strip with the lashes already standing up. You might find they speed up your application. Snip 2 small strips off and stick one to each eyepad on ur clients face. This way you have the lashes ready in front of you.
Eyepads
You can make ur pads last a bit longer by splitting them in 2. Get 1 eyepad and cut it in the middle following the curve of the pad. Now u have a pair of eyepads. You can also put 3 little snips at the top of the eyepad so u can custom fit ur pads.
Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
IPA is pure alcohol, it comes in different percentages. You want one that’s at least 91%. A lot of girls use this to prep and finish the lashes. Lash primers tend to have some alcohol content in them, ethanol or ipa. It’s the alcohol that removes the oils. IPA is routinely used in other industries too to prep surfaces for gluing.
You can use IPA as your lash primer. U can always water it down with mineral water so it’s not so strong if you’re worried about stinging clients eyes.
I also use IPA to clean my tweezers.
Can you put as many lashes in as possible please?
I tend to get asked this by new clients, the answer is always ‘NO’ But I’ve found a nice way of saying this now. ‘There’s only so many lashes I can put on in a hour. If you would like more at the end, then please book yourself in for a top up in a week or twos time.’
Most clients are happy with the amount in their full sets. If not, I’ll do a half an hour top up for them asap. (Half an hour top ups is not something I usually offer.)
Hope I’ve managed to explain what I mean and get my points across ok.
Hope some of this has been of use.
Yolanda x

Lots of great tips. Thanks for taking the time to write this.

Dear lord, it is a little long isn't it!

I just did it in word and copied it over, should have really had a look at the format and put some spaces inbetween lines. Sorry it's so yucky to read.

This site is way too addictive. I'm spending way too much time on it. Need 2 spend more time on building my business and getting more clients, not talking anout how to get them lol x

Your tips are fab RedChick, no need to worry how it looks as anything is easy to read when it is interesting lol.
Thanks for sharing, going to try your isolation tip nest time I do a set xx

thanks for that,
with tips like that you can make your thread as long as you like:)
im off to try and find myself some of those x tweezers you mentioned xx

thats very interesting. i too am off to get some of these tweezers!!.... what glue etc., do you use,... how long do your lashes last... mine seem to start coming off in a few days.

which tweezwers?????????????????

Hi all, I did my training a while ago and thought all the training courses now would be done with x tweezers, silly me!

X tweezers work the opposite way from normal tweezers. You might find this a bit odd to begin with because when you press the tweezer you release the extension, but try and perservere because they will prob save you time.

So normally you need to isolate the lash, then when you've done that pick up a lash, dip it in glue, by which time you might have lost the isolated lash!

With x tweezers the process is a little different which makes it great for beginners, I loved mine from the moment I discovered them. Using the x tweezers pick up a lash at the right angle then put these tweezers down with the lash in it so you can come back to it. Now you have both hands free to isolate a lash, isolate your lash, now pick up your x tweezers, dip the lash in glue and put it on your isolated lash. Hopefully in that time you won't have lost your isolated lash.

'At the right angle' I wasn't taught this, it's something I picked up at a later date, but I hope it's something that everyone is taught now. There is a particular angle the lash should picked up from to ensure perfect placement each time.

I got my x tweezers from Hollywood Lashes - Products for £10. I don't buy any of their lash products so can neither recommend of disapprove of their lash products.

jenniferlouise - I use the medium and ultra glue from The Eyelash Empourium. My sister mixes a drop of each together. One of her clients came to me for a top up because my sister couldn't fit her in and she still had loads of lashes left after 3 weeks, so I've started doing this this week and will c how my clients get on witth it.
When I first started my lashes didn't stay on very long, I think this is to be expected. Your technique will get better and you'll learn how much glue to put on. Most my clients come back for their top ups after 3 / 4 weeks, a handful of them come back after 2.

Hope that helps

Yolanda x

ps had another pm so will start another lash thread some time next week to answer question x

Hi hun, I just wanted to tell you, that was crystal clear, I don't do lashes, have never had them done and have only watched a utube vid out of curiosity.
I understood exactly what you were saying:lol: and it was interesting too:hug:

Some great tips!
I have just bought some new stuff-ooh i'm like a kid in a sweet shop!
I got some of the x tweezers although i only paid £3.50 for them. I also got some more tweezers. I got them in pink :lol:
One of them was the angled one. I've had a little play with all my new stuff and i'm liking the angled tweezers as the tip of the tweezers doesn't point at the eye!
I also got one of those silicon pads-how fab are those?!! You just put some lashes on them and they all stand up on their end rather than lying flat-much easier to pick up. Ooh and i got some jade stones and an air blower! I'd better stop buying now and start practicing :lol:

Hey angelina hun, if u don't mind me asking, who did u train with? I'm just curious coz I'm, a little surprised some of the stuff you got wasn't in your training kit.

I use angled tweezers in my left hand to isolate.

The silicon lash pads and mink lashes will speed you up if you have problems with picking up.

You can put micropore tape, tin foil or clingfilm on your glue stone to keep it protected. I change the clingfilm on mine each day. I've got a roll of clingfilm for lash tints, seems the perfect size roll. Sometimes I put the glue on the film you peel your eyepad off, nice and disposable.

I've never found that I really needed an air blower. Maybe in the beginning, but there's sum pretty fast drying glues out now so I don't really think you need one.

I remember getting my lashes done and the girl used an air blower in between applying lashes. I kept thinking, I could hav got another 2 lashes on in that time.

Hey angelina hun, if u don't mind me asking, who did u train with? I'm just curious coz I'm, a little surprised some of the stuff you got wasn't in your training kit.

The silicon lash pads and mink lashes will speed you up if you have problems with picking up.

You can put micropore tape, tin foil or clingfilm on your glue stone to keep it protected. I change the clingfilm on mine each day. I've got a roll of clingfilm for lash tints, seems the perfect size roll. Sometimes I put the glue on the film you peel your eyepad off, nice and disposable.

I've never found that I really needed an air blower. Maybe in the beginning, but there's sum pretty fast drying glues out now so I don't really think you need one.

I remember getting my lashes done and the girl used an air blower in between applying lashes. I kept thinking, I could hav got another 2 lashes on in that time.

I'm getting fed up of my air blower. I just trained on October so only feel now I'm ready for a faster drying glue.

Your tips have been a great help.

I trained with Nouveau. They don't use the jade stones, they have a ring cup to put the glue in. I wasn't getting on too well with it! Collin also kindly offered for me to go on a trainers training day with flirties and they use jade stones. I found the jade stones much easier to work with so i got some!
Obviously i got some tweezers in my Nouveau kit but i just wanted some spare ones! The lady i trained with said she had about 6 sets of tweezers out when doing a set and seeing as i keep getting glue on mine, i thought it a good idea to have some more! The kit came with 2 straight pairs so thought i would try the 'x' tweezers and the angled ones as well.
Nouveau don't use an air blower but flirties do so got one of those too-how could i not-it was pink!!

your article is very interesting. i have picked up alot of good tips.
may i ask what type of eyelash extensions do you use? and where did you get the silicone lash pad? xx

hello yolanda where in london are u again, as i may have some eyelash work for you. happy u r back

Some great tips!
I have just bought some new stuff-ooh i'm like a kid in a sweet shop!
I got some of the x tweezers although i only paid £3.50 for them. I also got some more tweezers. I got them in pink :lol:
One of them was the angled one. I've had a little play with all my new stuff and i'm liking the angled tweezers as the tip of the tweezers doesn't point at the eye!
I also got one of those silicon pads-how fab are those?!! You just put some lashes on them and they all stand up on their end rather than lying flat-much easier to pick up. Ooh and i got some jade stones and an air blower! I'd better stop buying now and start practicing :lol:

oh that was a good price for your tweezers
would you care to share where you got them from or would that be breaking the rules do i need to pm you:eek:x

I know this is a reeeeeally OLD thread. But I'm just dragging it back up and wondered if anyone else had any more hints and tips to add? ;) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would like to ask for tips on glue. How much to use, how to swipe it onto the lash, etc. I find I end up with a big bobble of glue on the lash that I can't get off. And also I have difficulties glueing the whole of the lash extension to the whole of the lash.

Any tips? Thanks.

I would like to ask for tips on glue. How much to use, how to swipe it onto the lash, etc. I find I end up with a big bobble of glue on the lash that I can't get off. And also I have difficulties glueing the whole of the lash extension to the whole of the lash.

Any tips? Thanks.

Pull your extension through your adhesive twice gently costing approx half of the extension you should have around 2/3 teeny tiny blob of adhesive where it's pooled together. Swipe it up the natural isolated lash twice coating your natural lash in the adhesive. The extension should the kind if attract and sit nicely on the natural lash

Pull your extension through your adhesive twice gently costing approx half of the extension you should have around 2/3 teeny tiny blob of adhesive where it's pooled together. Swipe it up the natural isolated lash twice coating your natural lash in the adhesive. The extension should the kind if attract and sit nicely on the natural lash

Do you swipe the entire extension over the lash, or just the end where the bobble is? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back