Eyelash extension help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrexs

Reaction score
Hi

I am currently doing an classic eyelash extension course online (not ideal but there are no courses in my area available) I am really struggling with doing the eyelashes on the practice head.

I am able to isolate the lash pretty easily but I find I am struggling with placing the eyelash extension onto the lash. I think I am taking too long to attach the eyelash extension to the lash as I get worried its in the wrong place. Is anyone able to give me some advice?

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you so much

Hey!

I would absolutely recommend taking a practical course, even if it means travelling, there are loads out there. Perhaps the lash techs in your area run their own lash courses? There's just some things that can't be explained online. On my training, they would immediately point out what was going wrong and correct you, which isn't possible online. They will most likely have you practise on a real person, which is a lot different to the practice head. The practice lashes are pretty much isolated for you, so dealing with real lashes is a completely different ball game.

When you say "placing the lash", do you mean placing it the right distance from the eyelid? That comes down to your visual perspective. I found that I was gluing the lashes onto the eyelid just slightly, so had to sit differently to get a better view.
Or do you mean getting them to grip? Try around with different glues. I started off with MyLash Sensitive and couldn't get the lashes to stick at all. Sensitive glues dry slower, giving you time to get them onto the lash, but just don't grip the same. I have also tried flirties sensitive after it was recommended to me, but have got rid of this too because of the same issue. I now use LashBase extreme, which is soooo much better. It's 1-2 second drying which is perfect for me. Whichever glue you are using should tell you the drying time.

They should also tell you the right humidity and room temperature for the glue. Most are somewhere between 20-26 degrees c. So get yourself a room thermometer and place it where you are working.

The only other thing, is to practice practice. On our training we were told that our first sets should take us about 2 hours and we need to work on getting that to 1 hour! Most experienced techs work between 2-2.5 hours. A lot of them will tell you that their first sets were taking 4-6 hours, so definitely take your time and get the set looking perfect, rather than rushing it, not isolating etc.

Hope some of that helps!

Good lord I can’t believe this is online now.

Ive done a day course in lash extensions and was good enough to be able to work straight away my trainer said not to worry about practice models and I learnt as I went. Others on my course that had exactly the same training as I did just couldn’t do it, couldn’t wrap their heads round it. Did weeks of day courses to get up to speed and even then none of them are doing it now. Some even couldn’t see but they didn’t know they needed glasses til that day.

You need a practical course.

I know a few clients that thought they would save money doing one of those courses together and guess who got called to spend 3hours removing their eyelashes when they were glued shut and had glue all over their skin. They had only used practice heads. And yet they had all passed!

You don’t want to be responsible for that. Get yourself on a day course and they will do the teaching and practicing on people so you will know the second you go wrong why it is. Otherwise you are just setting yourself up to fail.

Of course there is no reason not to continue with the online one to get your knowledge of the basics up so you can wow in class and be able to figure it out based on the basics you’ve learnt doing it on plastic. But there’s no substitute for an in person trainer when it comes to something that can permanently blind clients.

Practice heads are a nightmare, the glue doesn't attach to the lashes properly and they are not spaced like natural lashes. They also don't account for the different eye shapes etc. I would highly recommend a practical course but don't be too hard on yourself. I have just done a set on my husband ha ha. Of course I took them off straight after but this is also great experience. Try and find as many real people to play on as you can x

I wrote on another thread not long ago advising against online courses. Nothing beats a hands on course with an experienced trainer. Their input and experience on things that are never written down is invaluable. If they are watching you, they can advise on things like your posture or the angle you are using, etc, that may be affecting your treatments, without you even realising. I'd definitely try to find a practicle course.

Hi

I am currently doing an classic eyelash extension course online (not ideal but there are no courses in my area available) I am really struggling with doing the eyelashes on the practice head.

I am able to isolate the lash pretty easily but I find I am struggling with placing the eyelash extension onto the lash. I think I am taking too long to attach the eyelash extension to the lash as I get worried its in the wrong place. Is anyone able to give me some advice?

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you so much
Hi,
I’m a qualified beauty therapist. I’ve done a short course in classic extensions and currently doing an online russian volume where the tutor does zoom calls to help me, also I learn better online as I’m a visual person and can learn at my own pace. Try to get as many models as you can! Also when the nerves go, isolating gets better!❤️

Hi

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you so much

There is a new practice head coming out very soon.

Hi, what area are you in?
We have had lots of success with our online courses that are broken down step by step and filmed in HD. Our trainers are on hand to answer and assist with any concerns or queries. You can also revisit all the videos time and time again with no time limit to completing case studies.
Does your current course provider give you the option for sending in a video of you lashing so that they can check/tweak your technique? This may assist you.

Latest posts

Back