Face Mapping 4 perscriptive Retail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layla-Louise

Reaction score
As i use dermalogica skincare in my treatments face mapping a form of skin analysis is use 2 perscribe the right products for each clients skincare problem. The idea is that you find a soloution to that skincare problem and persrcibe them to the products to use at home therefore increasing your retail sales and benefiting their skin.
Tomorrow i have a young girl in for face mapping as she has a problem with acne on her skin, so as dermalogica siggust ive booked her in for a free face mapping and consultation, she had loads of makeup on so i told her to remove it for tomorrows appointment so that i can throughly look and analyze the 14 different zones of her skin and help her out, as she said the doctor wasnt very helpful.
However i just dont feel confident with facemapping i know what i see on clients skin but find it hard getting that information across them like dermalogica therapists do at trade shows and learnining centres, if you see something that needs working on their skin they just tell them or they'll politely say your skins starting to show signs of ageing but i just feel if that was me personally i'd think im never going back their if shes just insulted me about my skin problems. I know its different with the girl tomorrow because she knows she has a problem with her skin but sometimes i find it hard in treatments when people just want to relax and have a relaxing facial and i have to talk to them about what i see.
I do think face mapping is great and ive always liked having it done on me but when doing it on other clients i feel like they know im doing it just to get a sale how can i overcome this fear?
Also using terms such as breakouts and comodones in facemapping some clients may not know what they mean would you use simpler terms such as blackheads and spots but doesnt sound professional as a therapist?
any help would be apreciated on helping me feel more confident about it
thankyou for reading this x

I don't use Dermalogica in the salon or face mapping but I did receive their training at college. Why don't you look at it all in terms of 'how can my knowledge help this client?' Rather than 'What can I sell this client'. Do you see what I mean.

Also in terms of telling the what you find during your skin analysis you can use phrases such as congestion, and then mention what you can do to improve it. That way it isn't all negative, about what is wrong, but about the way you can help and what the outcome will be.

Not sure I've explained that very well :lol: but I hope you get the gyst of what I mean. :)

When I did my Dermalogica courses we were advised to always say something nice (not something like oooh you have nice long eyelashes) but that maybe the skin is generally in good condition despite the breakout activity.

Take your time, don't rush and don't try and push tonnes of products at them as it will only drive them away.

Suggest that they try a medibac or whatever kit you think will suit their skin so that they can try the products on a smaller scale before committing to the larger sizes.

Relax, you will do a grand job I am sure.

yeah your both thankyou for your reassurance i know i can always count on salon geeks to boost my confidence when i need it.
Its just because since ive worked with dermalogica i just find theres so many products to choose from now they've introduced so many new ones to the existing range so i feel the pressure to ensure i pick the right one for them. This young girl i have im allready thinking about anti-bac skin wash i still stock some in the salon but dermalogica recently brought in clearing skin wash too but thats more adapting for adult acne. Im thinking is it ok to use anti bac skin wash the expiry date is fine on it but i know once its gone it will be clearing skin wash. Ive just kept it there and hasnt solsd cos i havent had anyone with acne skin problems that much before.
Also like you say its right that you shouldnt overload them with products because on the perecription sheet i tick all of them but then i only talk about one or two is that what you would?

I think clients who request face-mapping want to hear the truth about their skin. Do it from the point of view that you are trying to solve any skin problems they have by prescribing products to suit their needs. Book them into the salon for a microzone treatment, e.g. if the girl you are seeing has acne/spots etc do a medibac microzone treatment, targeted on the specific area. I would used the words comedones etc but explain what they are. Make it a relaxed atmosphere! Know your products and the benefits of them! Perhaps go to a refresher course!

I always ask the client "what is your biggest concern" this always opens it up for conversation, they may say "I'm just so spotty I hate it, I've tried everything". Then you can tell them your analysis and reassure them that something can be done and tackle the problem.

HI, I'm dermalogica trained and to be honest I used to be a bit like you. A bit unsure of the face mapping but now I've been using it for about 2 yrs I just use it more as a tool, for myself and also for the client they can see what exactly is going on with their skin and they can take the sheet home with them. Sometimes its difficult for them to see what's going on and they just want our advice. So thread veins, pimples, acne pigment... all these things will show up under the mag lamp and we just jot them down. We can then advise on the products they can use to either stop problems getting worse, or help correct and balance out the skin. With your young girl thats coming in, you need to see what skin type she has, it could be oily, then you could use the dermal clay, if its sensitive just use ultra calming or special cleansing gel. If she is young, the anti bac might be a bit drying for her, especially if she is suffering from the odd breakout! the fact she is breaking out in spots could just be hormonal, time of the month etc etc and you need to talk to her once she has filled out her consultation. she could just buy the overnight clearing gel for when she gets the breakouts? find out if she gets them now and again or are they a constant battle? Personally, I would've taken her makeup off for her, then done the face map (consultation always first), then you already have a good picture in your mind of what you are dealing with. don't be afraid of asking her questions... this is why she has booked in to see you... she needs advice and wants help with her skin. sorry if this is a bit waffly... let us know how you get on xx

Latest posts

Back