Facial Hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electra

Reaction score
Hi all

i'm a nail geek on here and know nothing about skin!!!

i have a major problem with my hormones and subsequently have facial hair on my chin and down the sides of my face

i have the usual electrolisis and waxing but don't like having to grow the hair to get it removed.... i hate going into my salon looking like a bbloke who hasn't had a shave.

please help!! what can i do??? :hug:

Well there's IPL which is really effective. And the beauty is you can shave between treatments and all hair is treated can be treated in a quicker session.

But with electrolysis - you don't need to let them grow full length - you can cut them in between - as long as the hair can be grabbed with tweezers then the hair should be long enough.

Pain in the arse arn't they!!

xx

Well there's IPL which is really effective. And the beauty is you can shave between treatments and all hair is treated can be treated in a quicker session.

But with electrolysis - you don't need to let them grow full length - you can cut them in between - as long as the hair can be grabbed with tweezers then the hair should be long enough.

Pain in the arse arn't they!!

xx

I have started with IPL today .. my first treatment ..we shall see how it goes. I couldnt wait to get home to trim them away lol!!! I can't stand the idea of growing out hairs.. :(

Just got to wait 5 more weeks now before I am zapped again :)

Hi Ya

I totally sympathise with you. Ever since I became aware of myself, roughly around 12 to 13 years old, I have also suffered with facial hair, I prefer to call it "fur".

The plus side to mine is that it is quite fair. I have it down the sides of my cheeks, on my neck and to be honest most of my body is covered in a fine downy hair. Even at my age now (46) it still bugs me and has never got any less over the years.

Like yourself, I went down the waxing route, then, about a year ago I saw a gadget advertised on the TV. It is an epilator and if you have a strong pain threshold you could find it very effective. It is tiny and does the job. It can be purchased on-line via QVC is called the Emjoi Epilator, they sell three version, I have the smallest which currently costs £14.75 plus p&p. Although it sometimes makes my eyes water :cry: I wouldn't be without it!

Also you mentioned you think it is due to hormones, I know from your profile (took a peek before replying) that you already have children but have you been tested for polysystic ovaries? This condition can cause excess hair.

Good luck with becoming "fur free":lol:

NailedOn (aka Claire) :hug:

Do you know what the make of the IPL machine is?

Just remember - it might take more sessions than you anticipate - I always told my clients to start of with 6 - then to have further treatments as and when.

You will also notice the hairs growing really fast over the next few days - but that is actually the hairs pushing forward - you will notice they will just 'fall out' which is really satisfying.

I loved the carrying out the treatment - but hated doing the larger areas such as legs and backs.

I have developed a few strong 'uns under my chin and they don't run in the family - so a bit gutted. I actually have all the pcos symptoms too. May have to get it checked.

Hi Ya

the Emjoi Epilator, they sell three version, I have the smallest which currently costs £14.75 plus p&p.

NailedOn (aka Claire) :hug:

How effective is this epilator? Does it break the hairs? Do you have less hair growth every time you use it?

what is IPL??

there is no- way i'm epilating my face!!!! its bad enough on my legs.:cry::cry:

The hair is not just downy hair that you have all over this is thick black hair!!! very much the same as on a mans face..

i have been to the docs... i don't have polysistic ovaries but do have high levels of the male hormone.

I totally agree with you, if the hairs are strong and thick, the pain would be :eek: extremely ouch using an epilator!

Several of the students on my course have had success with laser hair removal, although it can be costly and time consuming. Their results were so good they got out having students do waxing practice on them in class!

Is there nothing that your GP can do to help balance out your hormones, sometimes you have to keep on at them till you get the right help!

Good luck, wish there was more I could suggest. :hug:

Do you know what the make of the IPL machine is?

Just remember - it might take more sessions than you anticipate - I always told my clients to start of with 6 - then to have further treatments as and when.

You will also notice the hairs growing really fast over the next few days - but that is actually the hairs pushing forward - you will notice they will just 'fall out' which is really satisfying.

I loved the carrying out the treatment - but hated doing the larger areas such as legs and backs.

I have developed a few strong 'uns under my chin and they don't run in the family - so a bit gutted. I actually have all the pcos symptoms too. May have to get it checked.

Its called the Ecolite and I have been told to expect anything between 6 and 10 treatments for my half face.

I must say it wasn't very pleasant :( But if it does the job I will grit my teeth and grin and bare it.

Ipl aka Intense Pulsed light - a kind of laser but the hair absorbs the light resulting in total destruction of the hair follicle (hair must be in anagen for complete destruction - anagen is the growing phase of the hair cycle).

It is probably more sucessful on thicker darker hair than finer blonde hair (I never got very good results on fairer hair despite being told that the machine could treat blonde hair sucessfully).

Jen - it will be interesting to see how you get on with the treatments and if the machine is good.

xx

Thanks guys

i'm gonna go for the laser treatment..... i have got to the point where i want something done so don't care what it costs!!!!!

Thanks for your advice it is very much appreciated

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Jen - it will be interesting to see how you get on with the treatments and if the machine is good.

xx

I will keep you informed :)

Thanks guys

i'm gonna go for the laser treatment..... i have got to the point where i want something done so don't care what it costs!!!!!

Thanks for your advice it is very much appreciated

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Just a word to the wise, make sure when you choose a laser clinic that you check that they are registered with the Healthcare Commission - also have a look at their documentation, such as qualifications and experience of the technician.

If your hair is dark you should get good results, not just IPL but look at Nd:yag too.

Good luck with it all x

Hi there,

I know you have had loads of fab advice on here, but I would also like to point out that if you speak to your GP about it, and if you feel it is giving you a complex you could ask your GP to refer you to your local plastic surgery and dermatology departments of your local hospital, as sometimes you can receive the laser treatment free on the NHS. Yes you do have to stay hairy prior to treatment, which I can only imagine is horrible, but its a small price to pay to remove the hair forever. (The darker the hair the more effective the laser treatment is).

I dont know if this helps at all, but I know IPL can be very expensive, and its worth asking your GP if they will refer you.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I know you have had loads of fab advice on here, but I would also like to point out that if youd speak to your GP about it, and if you feel it is giving you a complex you could ask your GP to refer you to your local plastic surgery and dermatology departments of your local hospital, as sometimes you can receive the laser treatment free on the NHS. Yes you do have to stay hairy prior to treatment, which I can only imagine is horrible, but its a small price to pay to remove the hair forever. (The darker the hair the more effective the laser treatment is).

I dont know if this helps at all, but I know ILP can be very expensive, and its worth asking your GP if they will refer you.

Good advise, I know someone who had electrolysis on the NHS.

Latest posts

Back