Facial Procedure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Since leaving college I have stuck to the same procedure for facials that I learned in the beginning and noticed on a separate thread that once some of you worked in a salon that you changed and adapted the procedure from what you were intially taught!

So what did you change in your procedure, why did you change and how has it benefited your treatment.

Have you also adapted your facial massage much from what you were initially taught - was this recommended by your suppliers or by your colleges.

I am currently using a basic range of skin care products but will shortly be changing to a better range. I beleive some teach you a new skin care procedure and some dont.

Many thanks for your feedback on this.

So what did you change in your procedure.

I chose an aromatherapy range to keep a wholistic/hands on connection.
I added more massage ie: head - feet - hands.

Why did you change ?

To maintain the same style through out the complete service menu & to be able to use the range across complete treatment formats.

How has it benefited your treatment ?

Client's are impressed & destressed as the range devotes the treatments to total relaxation.
It includes treatments for everyone & everypart of the body

Have you also adapted your facial massage much from what you were initially taught ?

Yes. I mix it up so its never the same old same old
The client relaxes more IMO as they are not prepared for the next move.
It breaks up the normal routine.

Was this recommended by your suppliers or by your colleges.

The founder of the range we use has provided professional training manuals & professional training workshops held through out the year.
It differs widely from the college format I was taught. And has a more relaxed approach & delivery than some other ranges available.

I am currently using a basic range of skin care products but will shortly be changing to a better range.
I beleive some teach you a new skin care procedure and some dont.

I agree. I am so used to being spoilt with Creative Education, follow up support & brilliant product ranges that I expect the same from the company that supplies my beauty products. That's why I chose this one. Natalie Group Aromatherapy

HtH

XX J XX

Since leaving college I have stuck to the same procedure for facials that I learned in the beginning and noticed on a separate thread that once some of you worked in a salon that you changed and adapted the procedure from what you were intially taught!

So what did you change in your procedure, why did you change and how has it benefited your treatment.

Have you also adapted your facial massage much from what you were initially taught - was this recommended by your suppliers or by your colleges.

I am currently using a basic range of skin care products but will shortly be changing to a better range. I beleive some teach you a new skin care procedure and some dont.

Many thanks for your feedback on this.

Hiya hun

i still do the same basic order of things i.e.
cleanse
tone
exfoliate (steam)
massage
mask
moisturiser, eye cream etc.

except now i also add a few extra bits inbetween them, such as the use of extra products and adding scalp massage/foot/hand massage etc. I did learn new routines with the skincare brand we use which is Matis. They have loads of different facials to suit different peoples needs and each facial is slightly different as they have different products. I had to go to Kent for 4 days to learn about thier products and the different facials they offer. (god i said "different" alot just then!!:eek: )

My facial massage has changed since i left college but i still use some of the same moves i originally learned, when you go to work in a salon you learn different things from different therapists and pinch a move here and there to make up your own routine. I had a facial done at a spa a few weeks ago and i even pinched a move from her!!

I think it's important to have some variety in your treatments as both you and your clients get bored of the same thing.

HTH xx

Thanks to both Jnail and littlepinkfairy for your replies, much appreciated.

The problem have (which has been discussed by others in another thread) I only worked in another salon for a short while, which all used self employed therapists, is that the facial procedure that was used there was only a very basic one and didnt give me anything new to add to my procedures.

You are right about adapting what you do for each client but when you have only ever known one procedure and one way of doing a facial massage it can be quite difficult to know how to change too much. I do change it slightly depending on the clients skin situation/sensitivity but not always sure I change it or add new things to it as much as I could.

Looking forward to more imput from you expecrienced Beauty Therapists.

Thanks.

I adapt my facials to each person.I blend my own essential oils, for skin type and mood, for my massage.
I ask if they like steam, as a lot dont so i do more massage.With most people i massage their scalps and ears and if they have headaches or eyestrain i'll work on the pressure points in these areas.I always massage feet or hands while their mask is on and sometimes i turn them over and do their backs as well.I also incorporate reiki.Its nice to not move at all and lay your warm hands across someones eyes, forehead,decollete etc.
I would recommend reading as much as possible,go on workshops, bring in movements from all kinds of therapies. Try out the movements on someone to get the flow right before you put it into your routine.You will find different routines and new ideas in aromatherapy books,shiatsu,indian head massage,accupressure,Reiki.
Alternative therapies compliment beauty therapy so well even if you don't intend branching off too much in that field you can always incorporate it into your beauty.

I adapt my facials to each person.I blend my own essential oils, for skin type and mood, for my massage.
I ask if they like steam, as a lot dont so i do more massage.With most people i massage their scalps and ears and if they have headaches or eyestrain i'll work on the pressure points in these areas.I always massage feet or hands while their mask is on and sometimes i turn them over and do their backs as well.I also incorporate reiki.Its nice to not move at all and lay your warm hands across someones eyes, forehead,decollete etc.
I would recommend reading as much as possible,go on workshops, bring in movements from all kinds of therapies. Try out the movements on someone to get the flow right before you put it into your routine.You will find different routines and new ideas in aromatherapy books,shiatsu,indian head massage,accupressure,Reiki.
Alternative therapies compliment beauty therapy so well even if you don't intend branching off too much in that field you can always incorporate it into your beauty.

Thanks Gillina - I am also a Reiki 1 therapist and must admit never thought about using this while doing a facial. Think I will give that a go and see how it goes. Do you tell your client that you are going to do some Reiki while doing the facial as I know the client should be receptive to this for it to be effective?

Thanks Gillina - I am also a Reiki 1 therapist and must admit never thought about using this while doing a facial. Think I will give that a go and see how it goes. Do you tell your client that you are going to do some Reiki while doing the facial as I know the client should be receptive to this for it to be effective?
Sometimes i do if they have a problem ie headaches etc i ask this at my consultation or just verbally if they are regular (how are you today any problems,how are you feeling...that kind of thing) I must admit i wasn't taught that to work the recipient had to know and agree to recieve, which is why animals can benefit or you can do distance reiki or obviously if someone was not in a fit state to acknowledge the receipt ,they may be disabled or unconscious.So when i massage i do quite often turn it on as it were whether they want it or not:)

Sometimes i do if they have a problem ie headaches etc i ask this at my consultation or just verbally if they are regular (how are you today any problems,how are you feeling...that kind of thing) I must admit i wasn't taught that to work the recipient had to know and agree to recieve, which is why animals can benefit or you can do distance reiki or obviously if someone was not in a fit state to acknowledge the receipt ,they may be disabled or unconscious.So when i massage i do quite often turn it on as it were whether they want it or not:)

that is a good thought about animal - they dont give permision do they! thanks - definately going to try it out soon!

that is a good thought about animal - they dont give permision do they! thanks - definately going to try it out soon!

Well i dont get much call for full reiki treatments so if you incorporate it in other treatments it keeps you using it and thats the best thing to keep it strong.

I have added more masages and mixed when I do them around.

I now also apply an ampoule before the face massage.

I don't tone until before the moisturiser as this is rebalancing the skin at the end.

I also do two exfoliations one manual and one chemical/aha.

The other thing I do which is most important is apply SPF 30 at the end.

:)

I have added more masages and mixed when I do them around.

I now also apply an ampoule before the face massage.

I don't tone until before the moisturiser as this is rebalancing the skin at the end.

I also do two exfoliations one manual and one chemical/aha.

The other thing I do which is most important is apply SPF 30 at the end.

:)

OK stupid question here - is that implace of massage oil/cream or as well as?

just a quick question about reiki, i've got my level one and i'm doing level 2 on 25th march (so excited!!:) ), however, my reiki teacher told me i can't do reiki on another person properly with level 1 attunments, you have to have your level 2 attunments. She said i can work on the crown chakra but thats it. Why is it different for you?

OK stupid question here - is that implace of massage oil/cream or as well as?

It's not a stupid question, I use it as well as a massage cream. I apply an ampoule specific to the skin type and condition to the skin as they contain a very high level of active ingredients so really help produce good results. I help it to penetrate with tapotement (tapping, stimulating strokes) and then do the massage which warms the skin and aids penetration further. :hug:

It's not a stupid question, I use it as well as a massage cream. I apply an ampoule specific to the skin type and condition to the skin as they contain a very high level of active ingredients so really help produce good results. I help it to penetrate with tapotement (tapping, stimulating strokes) and then do the massage which warms the skin and aids penetration further. :hug:

Thankyou - that makes sense. :hug:

I have changed loads of things depending on what facial range I have used at the time, to many to list but the main things are,

• Using hot mitts to remove product instead of damp cotton wool or sponges. If I do ever use sponges I give them to client to take home with them after (they like this!)
  • I have added a pressure point & lymph draining procedure to the massage (learnt on product training)
  • Not leaving the client when the mask is applied. I always do a scalp and/or hand massage.
I still use a lot of the movements I learnt at college but have added & changed some things over the years. Also mine lasts 15 - 20 mins & I do shoulder work to.

I had a facial on holiday which was 75mins & I had 10 min massage tops (without shoulder work) & a few weeks ago I had a dermalogica facial with a 10 min massage which felt like the same movement being repeated the whole time ! Both of them were expensive so I wasn't happy :eek:

When you choose your facial range it would be worth checking if you need a Level 3 NVQ to do the training. I know that Clarins & Decleor require this & I had to show them my certificates to.

When I carry out a facial treatment it's quite a bit different than what I learnt in college,this is, as others have mentioned,because most professional facial ranges have their own specific massage routine.

We use Darphin and the routine for cleansing etc is all the same,apart from we tone before we exfoliate because the skin needs to be totally grease free and dry before the exfoliant will work.

As for the massage routing,we start off on all the pressure points,forhead,eyebrows,temples,under eyes,sides of nose,under cheek bones etc.This is using the serum needed for the clients skin.

Then we go onto the lymph drainage which is carried out using one of the oils that the client chooses using their sense of smell/mood on the day.One day they may choose Jasmine another day Rose.

After this has been done I usually carry out a little bit of deep massage on the trapezius,Occipital area as clients love this.

I think whereas the college massage is a great starting point it's by no means the end of our learning in massage moves.Using different professional facial products and carrying out their facial massage provides a real insight to the many moves that can be carried out during a facial.

The more experience we gain from different companies massage routine the better equipped we become.There are some fabulous moves to learn and once you learn some of these it distingushes you from the college student facial and brings in many more facial clients which you can charge decent money for.Your facial massage and products are what brings clients to you.HTH

Forgot to add before I don't steam at all during my facials I usually do a hot compress instead with essential oils.

Forgot to add before I don't steam at all during my facials I usually do a hot compress instead with essential oils.

How long do you leave the hot compress on for?

About 10 seconds each area eg, neck

i qualified in facials in july 2006

i like the routine i was taught but i having just finished a indian head massage course i have now changed my facial massage routine slightly

Latest posts

Back