Facial Retail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy-Jayne

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Just wondering at what point you retail during a facial?

I feel that it's probably quite intimidating for a customer to be retailed to in front of other customers around the reception area.

Do you have any tips as to how you do it? Like take a couple of products into the customer after you've given them a few minutes to get changed, say on a tray with a glass of water? Rather than taking them in in the packaging do you take testers? ( I have a tester stand full of products).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks xx

I go through the products at the end of the facial with the client and include a sample pack. As I do face mapping with my treatments the client gets a sheet with reccommended products and we go through it every treatment so I use this as an opportunity to retail.

I don't retail at reception as Im within a hair salon and its just so busy there isn't space to do it !

I have only had one therapist bring the products in after the facial and I was not impressed, I found it really irritating and I didn't like the 'hard sell' aspect of it. The last thing I want after a nice relaxing treatment is to be sat down and go through a selection of products, ive actually had two clients stop going to a local salon for facials and come to me because the therapist tried to sit them down with all the products after a facial.

Why not try this-When the client says "what can I do about my spots/dry skin/wrinkles" tell them if they would like you can set them up on a home care plan to improve their skin. Explain what would be good and why and then what treatment you will do. Explain that what they do to their skin every day is just as important as boosting it with a facial and they obviously care about their skin.

At this point you will have already made a pre-printed piece of paper on which you have written with Cleanser, toner e.t.c in one column and then in the next column a space to write the products you recommend and in the third column a space for the prices. At the end of the treatment note down your recommendations while they get dressed/you get them a drink. When you come back say I have made a note of your homecare recommendations on the card for when your current products have run out and you are looking to purchase more, here is a list of recommendations for you to take with you (hand them the list) is there anything you need today? This gives them a chance to buy now or decide later and not have any pressure. :hug: Some skincare companys actually provide their own printed cards.

As I do face mapping with my treatments the client gets a sheet with reccommended products and we go through it every treatment so I use this as an opportunity to retail.

This is what we do in my salon as well xx

This is what we do in my salon as well xx

Thanks for all of your replies, but at what point do you do it? And where do you do it?

I use Decleor so have prescriptions for all clients.

Thanks for all of your replies, but at what point do you do it? And where do you do it?

I use Decleor so have prescriptions for all clients.

At the end of the facial, whilst still in the treatment room xx

At the end of the facial, whilst still in the treatment room xx

The only problem I have with that is that during the Decleor Facials, my clients are bra-less (under a towel) probably feeling a bit uncomfortable and just wanting to get their clothes back on!

The only problem I have with that is that during the Decleor Facials, my clients are bra-less (under a towel) probably feeling a bit uncomfortable and just wanting to get their clothes back on!

We always get the client a glass of water after a facial, so maybe you could leave them to get ready, go back in with a glass of water and go through your prescription/retail then? x

I used to keep testers in the room with prices on so when you leave them to get dressed after the facial, invite them to have a play around with whatever you have used so they can have a chance to see how the products feel. When they come out you could just ask them if there was anything they were interested in. I just found this takes away the 'hard sell' feel about it and also lets them know the price without the embarrassment of asking...xXx

We always get the client a glass of water after a facial, so maybe you could leave them to get ready, go back in with a glass of water and go through your prescription/retail then? x

Saame here, I never do it whilst the client is still on the couch always wait until they are dressed and having a glass of water.

I use Decleor, although I don't use their prescription pads - I've never been a fan of overwhelming clients with whole retail ranges, it seems a bit pushy. Instead I tend to look at their skin & what they currently do & use, then I assess the most important product(s) they need to improve their skin. I then give them samples of other products I believe would further help, making a note of this so I can ask them how they got on with them at their next appointment.

I tend to finish the facial, leave them to get ready whilst I fetch them a glass of water, and then come back in when they are dressed & demonstrate the products, give them the samples etc then.

Here's what I did......sorry it's a bit long!!!!

When I was in the salon, I used to ask whether the client wanted me to talk them through what i was doing, or whether they wanted to relax. Never gave them the option of mindless chitchat about Eastenders or whatever! If they wanted me to talk them through the procedure it's a green light for selling!!

Not too much info, just explain that the product you're going to use now is a cleanser/toner/exfoliant etc, which is going to really help to blah blah blah, and might feel a bit tingly/cold/warm etc.

While the mask is on, after yuo've done your hand/arm massage or whatever, take 2 minutes to fill in their prescription.

At the end of the facial, ask if they enjoyed the treatment, and ask them how their skin feels now, compared to how it felt when they came in. If it feels really fresh & clean...which product might give them that feeling at home? The exfoliant? Show them the tube, and get them to try a little on the back of their hand. Ask them to smell it, and you do the same on your hand. If you're experiencing the product at the same time as the client it's far more effective than them doing it alone. Explain how easy it is to use, and how often they need to use it to get great results.

Repeat with all products they express an interest in, but let them lead the conversation! Never do the hard sell "Here are all 345 products I used in the facial, and now i'm going to bore you by talking about each and every one of them!!".

Let them get themselves up and dressed, and while they're still in the room, prepare the products they expressed an interest in at reception. This lets them have a think about whether or nor they want to buy today with no pressure. Ask them if they would like to take the exfoliant and moisturiser today (for example)....in my experience, about 80% of clients will take something using this method. When they've chosen, and have bought the products, THEN give them their filled in prescription with other items they might be interested in.

Told you it was a long one!!! But I promise you, I used to use this method every time, and my sales figures shot up!

Latest posts

Back