Facials & added nice bits?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Taylor

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I just wondered what you do to make your treatments that bit special?
I know some people use heated couch warmers....
What other things do you do or use, or do you use different techniques at all? Just be interesting to know

Great question Matt Im looking forward to hearing what people do!

Great thread,

I have/do/use;
an electric heated blanket under the bed,
extra padding under the bed to lay on,
a large soft fluffy towel/blanket to cover over the client,
a bolster under the knees,
head massage whilst mask on,
extra long facial, shoulder, neck massage,
hot towel after mask is removed,
keep massage oil heated in the towel caddy,
heated wheat eye pillow whilst mask is on,
low lighting,
candles,
leave client after facial with further relaxation time.

If I think of anything else I will let you know, hope to pick up some more tips from fellow geeks to make my facials more special, I do think it is the little extras that you remember. x

Some nice points there Emma!!!

We used a bolster cushion at college, Id forgotten about that!!! Thanks!

I use Hot towels to remove everything! (unless extra sensitive/rosacea/vascular disorder). I infuse them with either lemon or neroli so they smell amazing! Clients always comment on how nice they smell. I rarely use sponges.

I also use cold marble stones as part of the massage for people with sensitive/rosacea during the massage and apply cold stones over the eyes during masque stage, this really does help reduce the puffiness!

I have a docking station and always tell the client that its their treatment, so they may have whatever music they want playing! They just put their ipod or iphone (set on silent calls of course) and play whatever relaxes them! So far ive not had any hardhouse but we shall see!
(I used to have treatment and it was the same cd played everytime and I hated it! It was really dreary music!)

I have an Eco Spray and put in different tea's - I often use red raspberry tea for my clients with rosacea and the Eco Spray acts as a pulverisator - this really calms the skin and gives a different element to the treatment
You can use tea, toner or anything in it!

At the exfolaition stage if using a chemical leave on exfolaint, I apply to the hands too as an added freebie, makes their hands soft and if I do a hand and arm massage later on their hands are amazing at the end!

Ive never been one for candles and I have a bit of a different ethos in my treatments - I tend to have the lights dipped, and ive built my business so far on getting results rather than pampering, But thats not to discount clients that want a pampering treatment and I have recently added a 'relaxation pampering' treatment to my list.
But what I did do in my room is fit some blue lights. As they are LED they dont fade down, so when I fade down the normal lights they stay on and flood the room with soft blue light which is a lovely touch thats been commented on.

I also have a remote control light switch so I dont have to get up and away from the client.

One last thing that I do that I think is important - I always keep contact with the client!!! Even when getting a hot towel from the caddy - I always keep one finger just on their temple. Sometimes you have to use both hands for things, but Ive learned to use one hand for a lot of things so that the other is always keeping constant contact.
And I do believe that its important - very! I hate it when a therapist is rattling about and faffing and your laid there disconnected from them!

I really do like the idea of a heated under blanket, so thats on the list now!!!

Just bumping up

I like the idea of the cold stones on the eyes but I havent done training in hot/cold stones.
Also exfoliating the hands are are nice added extra x

Hi Matthew, I brought a heated underblanket from Argos to use on my couch and the clients love it - not too expensive either!! I also brought some light-up stars from Ikea which are on the wall, so the room is dimly lit - I always tell the clients to relax and they will see the stars LOL. Heated towels to remove products, soft music too and scented candles all help the client to relax - like the idea of heated pads over clients eyes tho

x

Hi Mathew

I always use a heated under blanket for lots of my treatments, and everyone gives great feedback about it. I use a memory foam pillow fir the client to place their head on, which again feel great and adapt to different peoples neck postures.

I use an alginate masque, and whilst this is on, I massage my clients hands and/or feet - occasionally using warm paraffin wax if time permits as an extra special touch.

A nice fluffy towel is placed over the top of the client too, to keep then snug. like you, I always make a point of keeping one hand in contact with my client, as I too hate it when having treatments and I have no idea where in the room the therapist is, or what they are faffing with.

I used to use fragranced candles all the time, but I now use an aroma diffuser, they are great, and give off a lovely background scent, of your choosing, as yo use your essential oils in the water that it diffused. It also gives a nice soft glowing light.

Love the blue LED idea - that sounds great.

Always offer for the client to play their own music on the doc, as mine drives me crazy playing over and over, day in day out - but as yet, they all choose to listen to mine!!

Terry

I want to have treatments from you guys!!!

Hi

In addition to the soft towels/blankets, knee supports, hot towels etc, I offer an arm and hand massage or Thai foot massage once the client has the masque on. I use rose quartz massagers and Indian Head Massage/Chakra Balancing and Reiki at the end of the treatment. I offer a cup of herbal tea while I am putting my kit away in the car. It all seems to go down well.

You guys are making me want a facial haha. I put my oil in the oil burner to heat the oil, didnt realise you could put it in the hot cabbie. will be trying this defo! I do facials/massage with the lights off but one dimmer lamp I got in IKEA, looks amazing! And candles, I love scented candles! Before I do the facial massage I get the clients to inhale an essential oil, this also gets the clients to breath deeper which relaxes them more and I always pay attention to their breathing when massaging (breathing out - inviting you in, breathing in - pushing you away). God all this talk is making me crave a facial!! :lol:

Hi
In addition to the soft towels/blankets, knee supports, hot towels etc, I offer an arm and hand massage or Thai foot massage once the client has the masque on. I use rose quartz massagers and Indian Head Massage/Chakra Balancing and Reiki at the end of the treatment. I offer a cup of herbal tea while I am putting my kit away in the car. It all seems to go down well.

The rose quartz massagers sound interesting, how do they work? Is it like a massage tool with added healing benefits from crystals? Where can you get these from? x

You guys are making me want a facial haha. I put my oil in the oil burner to heat the oil, didnt realise you could put it in the hot cabbie. will be trying this defo! I do facials/massage with the lights off but one dimmer lamp I got in IKEA, looks amazing! And candles, I love scented candles! Before I do the facial massage I get the clients to inhale an essential oil, this also gets the clients to breath deeper which relaxes them more and I always pay attention to their breathing when massaging (breathing out - inviting you in, breathing in - pushing you away). God all this talk is making me crave a facial!! :lol:

Just to give the the heads up with this, it is best to have a massage oil measuring pot (or two) with the oil poured in, rather than putting a bottle of oil in the towel caddy as the bottoms pop out, & some can explode x

The rose quartz massagers sound interesting, how do they work? Is it like a massage tool with added healing benefits from crystals? Where can you get these from? x

Just to give the the heads up with this, it is best to have a massage oil measuring pot (or two) with the oil poured in, rather than putting a bottle of oil in the towel caddy as the bottoms pop out, & some can explode x

Thanks Emma, do you mean like a plactic beaker or something? Im glad you said that cause it wouldnt be very relaxing if something exploded :lol:

hey, during a facial treatment i light candles, play relaxing music and put a heated face mask on and massage the hands and feet and neck and shoulders. i also put a heated blanket on sometime if they want it on (some people think its too warm and profer not to have it)

some nice points here.

I use steamed mitts for nearly every sequence.
I also never leave the client, and apply pressure points to the face and scalp over the mask.

If its a cold day I give the clients a heated wheatbag on the soles of the feet and I've also got hand held ones too, but I quite often heat some stones up, put them in dry mitts and give them to the clients to hold.

I use seashells in massage so plan to implement them into the facials.

I have a heated blanket for my couch, a huge big fluffy blanket to wrap them up in, I sprinkle essential oil on the towels they're lying on, light LOTS of candles, I have little fairy lights in my room, I give them a choice of TAO's when their mask, etc is on (I use Eve Taylor), at the end, I ask them if they would like SPF, i apply eye gel and lip balm, raise the couch to a seated position and get them a glass of water. I then leave them for 10 minutes to relax and then get changed.

I think that's everything lol xx

Loving the thought of the lemon or neroli oil on the hot mitts - I love the smell of neroli, but it's blooming expensive.

Matt, we have just started using Eve Taylor and think it's fabulous - we do pamper packages and are considering using the candles for aroma massages on the hands or feet during a facial and then giving the remaining candle to the client. It's a nice touch but does bump the cost of the treatment up by over a fiver - which is a lot in these times.

The girls are on training in July and they can't wait!

We have thick padded, heated couches, have light duvets with extra blankets available, dimmed lights and diamante crystals on the wall paper which pick up the light when it's dim, looks amazing is always commented on by the clients. We use either a diffuser or candles and I must get some bolster cushions!

Take care, MrsMac

Loving the thought of the lemon or neroli oil on the hot mitts - I love the smell of neroli, but it's blooming expensive.

Matt, we have just started using Eve Taylor and think it's fabulous - we do pamper packages and are considering using the candles for aroma massages on the hands or feet during a facial and then giving the remaining candle to the client. It's a nice touch but does bump the cost of the treatment up by over a fiver - which is a lot in these times.

Firstly Congratulations on using the best brand!!! Im sure you and your clients will love it!!

The lemon and neroli infused towels are actually aroma tablets from Ellisons. Basically you put your damp towels in the cabi and pop in one of these tablets and it fills the cabi with the aroma and infuses it into the towels:
Lemon Fragrance Tablets (30) - Ellisons

Sorry I didnt mean Neroil, I meant Jasmine! (I just bought my mum some Neroli Jasmine edt from Thebodyshop and got it in my head) But they still smell amazing!!! I prefer the lemon. Theyre not the cheapest of things but are a lovely touch!!!

Yeah I use the candles but dont give away. Its nice to do but its all costs. They retail extremely well so Im sure you will be getting orders after each time you use them on a client!!!

Some fab points have been made and im going to use some ideas now!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back