Fed up with Lumos, need an alternative please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaisyMouse

Reaction score
I am so fed up of not being able to get hold of the lumos duo pack or base coat that I am giving up. I know the name needed to be changed but surely it can't take this long!!

Please can someone recommend a good quick drying base and top coat that you can use with any range?

I use the Seche base coat and the Vinylux top coat. Dries super fast even over ordinary polish (non Vinylux).

Thanks is it ok to mix three different brands? I don't like vinylux

I have changed too. I stock and use Mavala polishes so I thought I would try their base and top coat. Been very good!

Base, 2 x colour coats, colour fix then quick try top coat. I have to say it's been impressive. You buy mini bottles so not a massive outlay to try.

Thanks is it ok to mix three different brands? I don't like vinylux

I don't see a problem with it. It's not like you need to use the whole system like a gel polish. You would have been using a different polish brand using Famous Names top and base. Having said that, I have very few requests for polish (I'm a Shellac girl!), but the Vinylux top coat is very good although I'm not blown away by Vinylux either.

It's mostly for retail so I think I will just get the opi top and base, but I love how quick lumos dries in the salon. I still do a lot of ordinary polish especially on toes.

It's annoying as I asked months and months ago and kept being told it would be back very soon :evil:

I have a bottle of vinylux too but I've only used it a couple of times and it's gone really thick. I got rid of all my vinylux as I did not like it at all (it looks like a cheap polish on nails I think)

The vinylux top coat is amazing! I use it with other polishes as well as I'm not keen on vinylux either. Hard to work with and not a great colour range- although I stock it because it's easier!!

No response from famous names or sweet squared as to what's going on with lumos????

I love vinlyux but need more bright colours in it!!

I do also have cnd base and top as well as lumos and like you still do lots pf polish on toes and s few on hands, the other week a clients got 3 weeks from vinylux on hands!!! Still amazes me....need to keep bottlles away from sunlight, dont have salon too warm and keep necks extra clean.

I do have bio sculpture as well in salon and so always stock the matching polishes aswell

I like Cuccio Colour base and top. I'm a former Lumos user and think Cuccio's top coat is just as glossy and dries just as quick. They also have prescriptive base coats too which Lumos lacks. Price, though not the be all and end all, is really good- about the same if not a tiny bit less than a bottle of Vinylux to give you an idea. Their polish is pretty fabulous too. I get mine from either The Nail Company or Cuccio themselves (both have websites)and both companies can't do enough to help you. x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

How annoying. I really like the big bottle of Lumos top because I had one for 2 years and it never went thick. I'm now just running out and nowhere I can get it from. I hate change. :/

I have just emailed HQ about this... Please bare with me..

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek App

I use Vinylux but OMG it can be difficult to remove! I prefer to use seche vite top coat over regular polish.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have used Seche Vite for years and years. It's really fast drying with a lovely glossy finish.

Dear All.... The product you are referring to as Lumos is now called Top and Bottom by Famous Names and is indeed available from Sweet Squared... What we don't have is the duo pack which is being re packaged. It's available on line (type in Famous Names in the search or go to Famous Names in the margin to the left) or over the phone and in the Sweet Shop. This has been th case since we launched the S2 catalogue in March. Hope this Helps.

Dear All.... The product you are referring to as Lumos is now called Top and Bottom by Famous Names and is indeed available from Sweet Squared... What we don't have is the duo pack which is being re packaged. It's available on line (type in Famous Names in the search or go to Famous Names in the margin to the left) or over the phone and in the Sweet Shop. This has been th case since we launched the S2 catalogue in March. Hope this Helps.

Last time I looked, only the top coat was available to order. I couldn't see the bottom coat anywhere, can you link to this on your site please? Or at least confirm that the bottom coat is also available?
Thanks

Last time I looked, only the top coat was available to order. I couldn't see the bottom coat anywhere, can you link to this on your site please? Or at least confirm that the bottom coat is also available?
Thanks

This is what shows on the website only the top coat, but I was so fed up and I saw it in the new catalogue I got so I phoned and they said it was on the website but I couldn't see it. It comes up but only if you search for the base coat separately by its new name, so I have managed to order it this morning. But it's really not clear that it is available :(

Last edited:
There was definitely something wrong with how our system was set up. Massive apologies for that and we wouldn't have caught it unless you had something here. Hopefully all well now and again, apologies.

Latest posts

Back