Feeling a little disheartened

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your nails are very good for a beginner.
And even now after 10 years I can easily take 3 hours while chatting to a friend while doing nails, especially with kids interrupting all the time.

This is why I do not do house calls bcoz it literally adds another half hour or more to your appointments!

And no doing nails won't make you a millionaire BUT it is a very rewarding job to have and I think happiness at work is more valuable then sitting behind a laptop for 8 hours hating your boss and your job!
Don't let your boyfriend fill you with negativity, be positive

Thankyou [emoji4]

I done some practice runs on my nail trainer and to do the 5 fingers from start to finish is taking me around 40 minutes so roughly 1hour 20 minutes for a full (normal) set, definitely the designs and the chatting that's holding me back

Yeah i agree, job satisfaction is much more important to me, I used to be a manager of a breakfast, after school and holiday club, before I left to have my 2 children, I done that for 10 years and loved it!! But if I went back the hours would mean my children would be in a nursery from 7:15-18:15 everyday and I don't drive so we would be out the house at 6:30, and not home till around 19:30 and I don't want that for them, I want to be able to work round them doing something else I love [emoji4]

I trained in nails when mine were little, its been perfect to fit around the family and as they've got older I've been able to be more flexible with my working hours.

Totally agree dear nailpod with everything you say! [emoji4]

Both sets look lovely hun xx

I think they look great. For a beginner that's pretty impressive. I always like to do a basic set then a colour after. So much easier when coming to infill.

Thank you both for your comments, I was quite happy with them, just the timing, but I think I'll definitely concentrate on mastering the simpler techniques and making my timing better for now as blossom and coco suggests, although I'm going to be doing my own nails today and I'll see where that takes me lol but I have all the time in the world to do my own xx

Hi, yesterday I done two sets of nails

View attachment 194518

This was the first, the girl liked my nails and wanted similar - just a bit about these, it's all acrylic, apart from the stamping and sculpted and took me 3 and half hours, she needed major cuticle work before hand too, and her fingers are really sore round the edges from general housework so I was taking my time to be really careful, she had some really bad splits

And the second

View attachment 194519

I had to soak off a set she had done in a NSS and these have tips but she wanted a really natural look so I started with a natural white acrylic, blended down to a cover peach acrylic and finally then a clear acrylic, then the stamping, this probably took me 2 and a half hours, maybe even 3 (this one was my friend and she came 2 mine with my 2 children here 2years 4 months and my 7 month old, so kept stopping)

Both were really happy with their nails, and said they can't wait to come back and have more done, and to see what I can do as I get better with more experience, and neither mined about time, but my boyfriend put a big downer on it saying he doesn't see how I will ever make money from just doing nails, I really want this to work, and he's just making me feel as if all my training and all the money I've spent is for nothing! I don't want to make millions, I just wanted something where I could have a income but also work around my children until they are a bit older or go to school, eventually i would love to work from a shop or have my own nail bar (a long time off) but this is what I want to aim for - and I just feel crappy about it now

I did try to explain to him that i charge for my time then product cost on top but I need to give a little at the moment as I'm still inexperienced and I will get faster with time and arghhh
Hi, yesterday I done two sets of nails

View attachment 194518

This was the first, the girl liked my nails and wanted similar - just a bit about these, it's all acrylic, apart from the stamping and sculpted and took me 3 and half hours, she needed major cuticle work before hand too, and her fingers are really sore round the edges from general housework so I was taking my time to be really careful, she had some really bad splits

And the second

View attachment 194519

I had to soak off a set she had done in a NSS and these have tips but she wanted a really natural look so I started with a natural white acrylic, blended down to a cover peach acrylic and finally then a clear acrylic, then the stamping, this probably took me 2 and a half hours, maybe even 3 (this one was my friend and she came 2 mine with my 2 children here 2years 4 months and my 7 month old, so kept stopping)

Both were really happy with their nails, and said they can't wait to come back and have more done, and to see what I can do as I get better with more experience, and neither mined about time, but my boyfriend put a big downer on it saying he doesn't see how I will ever make money from just doing nails, I really want this to work, and he's just making me feel as if all my training and all the money I've spent is for nothing! I don't want to make millions, I just wanted something where I could have a income but also work around my children until they are a bit older or go to school, eventually i would love to work from a shop or have my own nail bar (a long time off) but this is what I want to aim for - and I just feel crappy about it now

I did try to explain to him that i charge for my time then product cost on top but I need to give a little at the moment as I'm still inexperienced and I will get faster with time and arghhh

This is my second time commenting/using this site but bare with me :') I think that if you enjoy doing it and feel confident you should go for it. My boyfriend always encourages me to promote and helps me a lot. The male species doesn't appreciate how much money clients invest in nails.

GO FOR IT
AND DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!

Thank you both for your comments, I was quite happy with them, just the timing, but I think I'll definitely concentrate on mastering the simpler techniques and making my timing better for now as blossom and coco suggests, although I'm going to be doing my own nails today and I'll see where that takes me lol but I have all the time in the world to do my own xx

I actually find doing my own harder and so long and boring. I don't enjoy doing my own at all.

I actually find doing my own harder and so long and boring. I don't enjoy doing my own at all.
I find my right hand harder, but I love doing mine as well as others, I find it quite relaxing to just sit and concentrate x

I HATE doing my own nails! Bain if my life [emoji23][emoji23][emoji113]

I love with a passion doing anyone's nails but my own! So weird. I dread the day I have to sort them out. I could quite happily have trampy nails, I actually work better with short natural nails! But not a good look [emoji140][emoji140][emoji140][emoji140][emoji140][emoji36][emoji36][emoji36][emoji36][emoji53][emoji53][emoji53][emoji53][emoji53][emoji53]

You both can be my Guinea pigs - when shall I start packing?

Oh lovely our own private service

I think they look great and would be happy for my nails to look like that. I would rather sit for 10 hours and have a great job than sit for 1 hour and then look crap! Speed comes with time, and if you think about speeding up you will make mistakes! And do whatever makes you happy!! [emoji3][emoji3]

I think they look great and would be happy for my nails to look like that. I would rather sit for 10 hours and have a great job than sit for 1 hour and then look crap! Speed comes with time, and if you think about speeding up you will make mistakes! And do whatever makes you happy!! [emoji3][emoji3]

10 hours!! [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Yes of course who doesn't! but we're providing a professional service here and anything over a set amount of time costs money, depreciates profits and doesn't appeal to customers. We are a marketing business as a whole and we do need to look at the whole package. It's sadly not just about doing nails and doing pretty nails. Got to be realistic

You have to start somewhere surely?

You do, and practice does help but no good practicing and not making changes. Like reducing the time spent on each set slowly. Try reduce a set by 10 mins at a time that way your not rushing it and skipping crucial steps. This way your also building up the confidence .

I am pretty sure Tiffany was pulling your chain CoCo [emoji23]

Latest posts

Back