Feeling uncomfortable working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kel's25

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have always worked in a salon/spa/nail bar and rented a room within a nail bar and hairdressing salon. But gave it up to go on maternity leave in December, my baby is now 8 mths old and sleeps through the night now.

My husband is in Afgan until January, so I have converted our spare room into a treatment room. I'm going to be working a few nights a wk, while my baby sleeps. The problem I'm having is feeling comfortable having clients come into my home.

I have done what some one suggested and closed all the doors, so they come through my kitchen straight up the stairs to my room. But I just don't feel professional and when clients go to pay and leave it feels awkward, feels weird not having a reception desk.

Any advice or just someone to say they felt the same I don't know just looking for reassurance really xx

I know how you feel !

I have always worked in spas then rented a room for several years before having my son and then when he was about 5 months old I started working from home.

I have a dedicated treatment room in my spare bedroom with a nail station that I suppose doubles up as a reception desk if needs be so I don't have a problem with the payment side of things.

The obvious benefit its no rent and no pressure to make a set amount of money each week to cover overheads but I miss the salon buzz and having my home/work seperate.

All of my clients are ones Ive had for years and Ive put off advertising as I don't really want my home address splashed all over the place (Silly I know) and I feel odd having people I don't know in my house. The only new clients I take on are from word of mouth so they are usually friends/relatives of existing clients.

Something else I miss is whenever I had a spare gap between clients I could paint my nails or wax my legs whereas now I end up doing some cleaning or ironing :irked:

One thing that drives me insane is keeping the areas the client has access to immaculate and free of toys ! I discovered a collection of cars in my footsie bath last week :green:

I work from home and love it! I live in a condo and my unit is the first one right at the front door and they just walk 3 steps through my place into my nail room. I close all my doors to and make sure my house is clean since they can see my kitchen and livingroom but I never feel unconfortable now and noone has a problem not paying a reception desk. I walk every client out to maybe you recieve payment in the room you have make sure to carry change and walk them out they wont have a problem. if they are coming to your home they are not expecting anything from you :)

Is there a space in your room for a small desk from which you could keep your diary and a phone (even if its not connected, to provide an impression) and leaflets, pencil holder and cash tin and receipt pad.

You finish the treatment, they getting dressed, you move to your side of the desk and write out the amont on the receipt pad and complete their consultation card with treatment details.

Make their next appointment!!!!

Then walk them out.

Jacqui xx

The first house I was in after I started I felt the same. You had to walk through the front door, into the lounge and the spare room was off the lounge. I felt it was unprofessional so that's when I ended up going mobile. Mind you I was only doing massage at that stage.

People who come to your house know that you are working from home and can't expect that you will be set up like a salon. Most clients won't care, it's only ourselves that think it's not good enough.

If you have repeat clients then obviously it doesn't worry them. I like Jacqui's idea of the desk.

I rent but I do work from home on the side. I know what you mean, it does feel strange at first - its much more intimate but try seeing it from the clients point of view - they really like it that way. Its so much more personal - doesn't mean unprofessional - maintain your standards, as long as you have a dedicated room to do your work in (no matter where it is in the house) that's all the client will be expecting! Obviously you can do things to create better ambiance; always have music playing (even before you answer the door) so they come in to an immediately relaxed atmosphere, you could also use candles or a water feature perhaps? I am happy to take money at the end of the treatment, they usually just leave it on the couch. Sometimes they will say 'what do I owe you?' and theres no need to feel awkward :) If its really getting to you, you could always buy a desk with a reception-like setup, keep a cash box in the drawer and deal with payments there when clients leave?

*Edit* I see Jacqui already suggested the desk! Duh, didn't read it properly!

Any advice or just someone to say they felt the same I don't know just looking for reassurance really xx

I've worked from my spare room since I started in 2004 so have nothing to compare it to, but I don't feel awkward, and clients have to walk through virtually all of my house to get to my 'salon' (spare room upstairs).

I take payment and rebook their next appointment whilst sat at my desk, and when they leave I make a point of exiting the room first and leading them out, that way they feel like I'm taking control and confident and it gives them some reassurance. I also make sure I'm chatting as I walk, you know the kind of stuff.....'don't forget to use your solar oil twice a day'.......'have fun at the BBQ at the weekend' (or whatever you've chatted about previously), etc.

As I open the door I say 'I'll see in you in a fortnight (or on 14th, or however you want to word it), any problems ring or text me, be good!', a big smile and they're gone :biggrin:

It's your job to make them feel comfortable, and most people feel happier when the person they're with is confident and in control.

You'll be fine, it's all about the customer services baby :wink2:

Just as an aside how will you deal with it if your baby wakes whilst you're treating a client?
I've had a home salon for nearly 4 years now and it just feels normal to me. The hall, stairs and landing are always kept spotlessly clean and uncluttered, as is the bathroom as clients use it sometimes.
I use my nail table as a desk, and the streamline machine is on the windowsill.
My clients tell me they like the privacy and my room is equipped as well as any commercial room, and it's bigger than lots of them too.

Thanks for all your replies, I have since got a diary and money tin so feel better, I've also had a few more appointment since posting this and feel fine. going to put my certificates up too and get some new business cards, price lists printed etc x

Hi lynn an answer to your question, I worked for 3 yrs renting a room above a hairdressers until maternity leave, I have chosen a select few of clients that are more like friends. Who have children themselves, I gave them the option to come back on the knowing that my hubby is away and I may have to see to her. They are fine with it, and so far so good she's been fine x

My darling, when people come into your home they know that it is not a salon! A lot of them prefer the informality so please don't worry.

I have worked mobile and now from home again and my clients wouldn't swop it for the world!

My room is at the top of the stairs so they come in the front door and up the stairs but as we don't have a hallway they are in the living room from door to stairs, if you know what I mean. They are greeted by my black Lab Reilly and if my son is home he will offer them a drink. They love it.

In my room I am professional with proper equipments and products but the rest of the building is my home and clients have to accept this, which they do, with pleasure.

If a client really wants a Spa experience then she won't come to you so stop worrying. :green:

Latest posts

Back