Feeling very disheartened and frustrated with my application advice appreciated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amirose

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been doing my nail enhancement course since September at my local college training in OPI future fibre, OPI clarite liquid and powder and LCN gels.

I am nearly complete on my course but I am still not happy with the nails I am producing.

My main problem is the sidewalls. I seem to either be leaving gaps or going to far and then obviously creating lifting.

The photos are of an LCN gel (phasique) set that I have done on myself. I have done approx 20 gel sets to date and though I am seeing improvement I am just not happy with the level I seem to be at.

I would really like some advice as to how to improve the sidewalls and also some guidance as to whether I am being too hard on myself! It has of course crossed my mind that maybe this just isn't my thing.

Here is a link to some photos, I absolutely know these nails are far from perfect so I am mainly looking for advice on improvement.
AJ NAILS Manicure & Pedicure in Crawley | For Luxury Nail Treatments in Crawley, West Sussex

Thanks
Amy
PS The photos are hosted on a hidden page and are not viewable to clients!

I havent been doing nails very long compared to most people on here but it seems you could improve a little on the filing.

I came out of college doing nails just like yours, I then did a conversion course with Creative (which I thoroughly recommend) and I found I became tonnes better just from that ONE day!! They say its the difference between a beauty therapist and a nail technician.

Neways back to the filing, I learnt to file exactly along the line of the side wall until the enhancement is in line with it.

There are loads of people on here which will probably say its not the filing but I hope it helps anyway. Just keep practising!! :hug:

xx

Don't be disheartened - we have been at the stage you find yoruself. If you are touching the sidewalls or if your application is too thick, you will get lifting. You say that you have done 20 sets of nails. That is far from enough sets to get proficient. You need to do as many sets as possible. Get as many guinea pigs and practice, practice, practice. Read all the tutorials on here too - fantastic free advice.

As has been recommended, you would do well in pursuing a Creative Conversation Course - highly recommended.

Alternatively, you could invest in a 1-2-1 class with Jess (aka Sparklepink) who is an Ezflow educator based in Crawley.

So chin up, keep practicing, tidy those sidewalls and you'll get there xxx:hug:

It's all to do with your fileing in my opinion, if you can try and find a EzFlow Perfection training it will realy help to guide you in the right direction .
My nails looked exactly like yours before i did my first perfection training, it realy teached me the right steps to fileing and how to produce beautiful 'C'-Curves and arches.....Your getting there keep practising:)

They say its the difference between a beauty therapist and a nail technician

xx

what does that mean?:rolleyes:

I agree with urban geek - sometimes we find we hit limbo with our progression and feel like we have not been improving for a long time! So yes, maybe get a bit more training and practice like crazy xx

Don't be too hard on yourself as i do feel your nails are pretty good Hun. Yes you do need to work on those sidewalls and i would say you need to slightly taper the free edge, before you apply the white, then this will help stop them looking fat hipped.

You say you have done about 20 sets, well i would say that you need to between 50 - 100 sets to really become confident and good at what you do. The more often you do nails, the quicker you improve.

Keep at it hun, i had been doing nails for 18 months before i started to feel really confident, plus i did loads of training days to improve my technique. I still do training and keep honing my skills, so you just have to keep at it.

Don't be too hard on yourself as i do feel your nails are pretty good Hun. Yes you do need to work on those sidewalls and i would say you need to slightly taper the free edge, before you apply the white, then this will help stop them looking fat hipped.

You say you have done about 20 sets, well i would say that you need to between 50 - 100 sets to really become confident and good at what you do. The more often you do nails, the quicker you improve.

Keep at it hun, i had been doing nails for 18 months before i started to feel really confident, plus i did loads of training days to improve my technique. I still do training and keep honing my skills, so you just have to keep at it.

Awww thankyou I really appreciate that.

I have taken on board everyones comments and have redone the three worst fingers (which were very wierdly on my left hand and I am right handed ?!) which are the middle & index fingers and my thumb.
I have attached new photos (photos 14 & 15)

Amy x

Latest posts

Back