Fellow colleague stress

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelenT59

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have experienced some difficulties with salon colleagues? I'm part time and have a full Time colleague. We get on okay and work above a hairdressers. I suggested when we started to have one business name to which she disagreed. Recently iv been getting busier and putting gd offers out & she is not as busy. She has today approached me in the salon, saying she thinks one name would now be btr, as we are putting separate names to the public & it's confusing. I agree with this but feel she has noticed I'm getting busier and wants to benefit.
I agreed with having one name instead of two but I didn't feel I had a choice but now I see she is advertising off my ideas which quite frankly I'm so annoyed about! Has anyone any advice?

She disagreed with the one name because she wanted all the money she makes to come to her, but now she's not doing so well she wants to share your name because you are flourishing. I would be so mad, I would say "nope, you had your chance to share, but unfortunately I am becoming successful and would rather do this alone" I am terrible for not sticking up for myself, but this is one thing I would seriously put my foot down at. I hope this helps a little, rather than me having a rant. If your unhappy with the decision and feel pressured into doing it then it wasn't something you really wanted to do lovely xxx

So are you both self employed? How do you divide the clients? Does this mean that you will be in business together? Is she any good? How will you do the paperwork? Who pays what tax?

I would be a bit wary of this. You need to have all questions answered before you proceed.

We are both self employed.i have separate rental room to her. We both had our own business names before we set up that's why I initially said we shud maybe just have one price list for beauty in general (not using either of our business names..just general beauty) but we still remained separate in terms of cash etc. To that she disagreed.
Now she changed her mind.bIv now already said yes to both of us just having same price list, (I did think this would be less confusing but I felt put on the spot) but we both remain separate ie I continue to promote myself! Put pics up via Facebook on my own page specifying that it's my work. I also plug when I'm working and available, as I'm part time & I'm taking clients numbers etc and texting offers specifically stating it's me. Iv told her that if she wants to have a united front then we need to discuss offers not just go ahead and fire one out without consultation! Which is what she was doing. the only thing is I feel like iv put the effort in and she may get the reward as she full time.
On a positive note iv noticed ppl are returning to me, as I chat away and approach ppl, iv found she has not done this and has refused to carry our certain taster treatments with clients as she would prefer to have them come in and pay. This has not gone down well, where as iv been doing taster sessions with no problem. I'm just struggling now as to how I manage her so she doesn't take advantage. Iv also started a reward scheme and she wants in on it too...is there anyway I can say no to that?
That's why I need advice:-/

Any thoughts?

Sorry to barge in, but if you're both self employed, pay your own tax and NI you should be totally separate, how will you both file your returns using the same name?

Seems to me she wants to reap all the benefits of your hard work but doesnt want her clients talking to you. Looks like a bit of double standards going on.

I'd personally keep doing what you're doing and let her divest she's done, keep everything separate. You seem to be busting a gut building your business while.she sits back and sulks because you're busy and she's not. Tough! Let her get on with it x

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry to barge in, but if you're both self employed, pay your own tax and NI you should be totally separate, how will you both file your returns using the same name?

Seems to me she wants to reap all the benefits of your hard work but doesnt want her clients talking to you. Looks like a bit of double standards going on.

I'd personally keep doing what you're doing and let her divest she's done, keep everything separate. You seem to be busting a gut building your business while.she sits back and sulks because you're busy and she's not. Tough! Let her get on with it x

I think iv shot myself in the foot...we are to have the same price list now but we will remain completely separate for business...unfortunately there's no going back now:-/
I'm still going to plug my business as much as I can & encourage ppl to come back to me

Following on from KHS's message, be very very careful when it comes to tax & keeping everything seperate! If HMRC have reason to believe that you two are working in partnership but are filing tax returns are sole traders, they might start to do some digging & look into previous tax returns etc which would be a lot of unnecessary hassle & stress for you!!

Helen (Salon Tax) x

Following on from KHS's message, be very very careful when it comes to tax & keeping everything seperate! If HMRC have reason to believe that you two are working in partnership but are filing tax returns are sole traders, they might start to do some digging & look into previous tax returns etc which would be a lot of unnecessary hassle & stress for you!!

Helen (Salon Tax) x

Thanku for the advice. I have registered under my own business name and am self employed, I pay separate rent and have separate areas above the hairdresser that I rent and iv declared all this to hmrc:)

Latest posts

Back