Fiberglass Nail Help!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillbert

Reaction score
Heya!

I just got my kit for starting fiberglass nails and it does not have any building resin in it. Is it possible to put a set of nails on without it?!

Thanks in advance

Lauren

What is in your kit? Its been a few yrs since i done fiberglass but im pretty sure u need it!

I use Backscratchers fibreglass and never heard of a builder resin.:confused:

I agree, builder resin is not essential.

Were you not taught this i your class?? Or is this another brand than what you were taught with? I you would fill out profile it is so much easier to give answers to you, that way we know for how long you have trained and with what, and can give you answers accordingly...

Last edited:
I use Soft Touch and don't have builder resin in my kit, just self leveling wrap gel and the brush on activator etc.

Not many fibreglass systems have a builder resin included. Builder resin is just a thicker viscosity resin that helps to build shape into fiberglass wraps instead of just getting the same shape you started out with. It is not essential but does help to enhance the look of the finished nails. Obviously it helps to build shape faster than applying layer after layer of a thinner resin.

Hi, I have used Star nails Silk & Fibreglass for over 15yrs now, you only need your fabric and fibreglass resin. I do one coat resin and spray, then a layer of fabric followed again resin and activator spray, then repeat the resin and spray one more time, then shape and shine as normal. You don't need a builder resin, at the the step for applying the fabric, i always put a stress strip of fabric accross the nail before a full piece of fabric. Thats what gives the nail it's strength. You can a fab strong nail with fabric and a very natural look too.

Hi, I have used Star nails Silk & Fibreglass for over 15yrs now, you only need your fabric and fibreglass resin. I do one coat resin and spray, then a layer of fabric followed again resin and activator spray, then repeat the resin and spray one more time, then shape and shine as normal. You don't need a builder resin, at the the step for applying the fabric, i always put a stress strip of fabric accross the nail before a full piece of fabric. Thats what gives the nail it's strength. You can a fab strong nail with fabric and a very natural look too.

Hi there,
I currently do fiberglass/silk enhancements, only been just over 6 months now but was taught tip, blend, silk, resin, spray, resin and spray again. Ive never done a coat of resin & spray before hand? Is this wrong?
Also can I ask what a stress strip is please as I havent done this either?

I love fiberglass and the overall finish they have, and people I have done love them. I would love them to last a bit longer and this stress strip may be the answer.

Thanks

Hi there,
I currently do fiberglass/silk enhancements, only been just over 6 months now but was taught tip, blend, silk, resin, spray, resin and spray again. Ive never done a coat of resin & spray before hand? Is this wrong?
Also can I ask what a stress strip is please as I havent done this either?

I love fiberglass and the overall finish they have, and people I have done love them. I would love them to last a bit longer and this stress strip may be the answer.

Thanks

Fibreglass will never last like L&P or gel. It is essentially a system of adhesive layers. Adhesive breaks down in water and it yellows and will never last like the others. Looks gorgeous when first done but doesn't last ... clients want a product that lasts! FG has always come a weak third place in the enhancement stakes.

These days you can use something like Shellac with a layer of Fibre and it will last much longer, not break down , and never go yellow. I do believe that FG nails are on the way out (sad) as an enhancement system ... still I would never be without it for repairing a natural nail break. :)

Fibreglass will never last like L&P or gel. It is essentially a system of adhesive layers. Adhesive breaks down in water and it yellows and will never last like the others. Looks gorgeous when first done but doesn't last ... clients want a product that lasts! FG has always come a weak third place in the enhancement stakes.

These days you can use something like Shellac with a layer of Fibre and it will last much longer, not break down , and never go yellow. I do believe that FG nails are on the way out (sad) as an enhancement system ... still I would never be without it for repairing a natural nail break. :)

Thanks geeg. I am currently looking to do L&P or Gels soon, just not sure which one and need to save the pennies. Get headaches easily...putting me off doing L&P with the strong smell. Different subject but are CND L&P products smell stong?

I use Shellac (love it) so would you just do normal fiberglass enhancements and then your normal Shellac procedure on top?

Thanks again :-D

Latest posts

Back