fibreglass or silk????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty pink

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well, as some of you know i have just left a salon and decided to go for it and go mobile. :)

I am offering fibreglass and silk as i like the look of silk as its a finer mesh you cant see it. I have found that after a while you can start to see the mesh of fibreglass.

I'm just wondering if people start asking what is the difference between the two, is it just the appearence or is fibreglass stronger?? I'm sure i have read that somewhere!!

Many thanks geeks x x x

Hiya Pretty Pink!

I have always been told over and over again, that fiberglass is much stronger than silk. Fiberglass I have always used if they want to extend the length on their nails. Silk would be used if a natural nail gal came in and had a tear in her natural nail that she wanted repaired. I have never liked working with the silk because you simply could see it. That bothered me. So in truth, I always use the fiberglass.

I use Backscratchers fiberglass and their fiberglass is completely invisible. I love it!!! It is awesome when you do a fiberglass nail or nails on someone and they can't tell they have anything on their nails. Love it.

Different brands of fiberglass, have things that are both great and not so great. My advice to you is just sample different brands untill you find the one you like the best!

I agree with Nancy re fibreglass being stronger than silk. You shouldn't be able to see either fibreglass or silk if you've saturated the weave with your resin and if your clients are using cuticle oil and looking after their enhancements.

Have to agre also. Did a couple of clients with silk that were used to Arcylic and they obviously had got used to that - had about 3 breakages in a week. Wear fibreglass myself and I can hardly see the mesh - would definately stick with the fibreglass
x

fibreglass is stronger than silk but i do use both

i sometimes have fibreglass on my nails and i love it

it cannot be seen if you have apply enough layers of resin

Fibreglass is more flexible then silk as the weave is more mesh like......
Silk on the other hand can hold its own weight in liquid 30 times, so there will be more resin absorption but slightly less flexibility.....if you use a system that offers you an EC Resin/Adhesive in two viscosities, one for saturation and one for building, you can build a fab enhancement with either Silk or Fibreglass.

Fibreglass Enhancements or NNO:
For very weak and damaged nails, i.e. drill damage or severe ridges.
Fibreglass is very flexible and with great saturation Technique invisible.
Great for natural nail repairs

Silk Enhancements or NNO:
Slightly thicker weave than Fibreglass, suitable for natural nails with moderate or no damage. Much softer looking; less light reflection. Great for also natural nail repairs, re-building or reshaping a missing or broken corner.

Both types of material are great to use, it really depends on the clients choice and suitability. Great apex placement and added strength comes from using a thicker building resin, to build the nail, so that the strength is in the so to speak architecture or structure. A flat nail is going to break much faster than one that has a fab apex, no matter which system you use......also length of the enhancement has to be considered...

Just my 50p worth
HTH xxx

Thanks everyone for your replies, that helps me a lot and now i'm ready to answer any questions on it x x

Latest posts

Back