File control!! Part 1

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
So many people on the site mention blending tips as though it is some horrible task that they will take many steps to avoid if possible. But there are times we all need to do it.

I got to thinking that this must only be the case because some are finding it hard to do and/or it is taking you so much time.

We've already said that blending in a tip without causing any nail damage is a skill and all can learn it. But if tip blending is taking you allot of time, there can only be one or two reasons:

1. You are using tips that are difficult to blend (some are very easy) or,
2. You are not filing efficiently so it is taking allot of time.

Buying good quality tips is the easy bit.

Using your file efficiently will take a change of grip, and perseverance until the new process feels comfortable ( it does feel weird for a few days until you have mastered it). Here is the tip that a teacher of mine (bless her) passed on to me many years ago and I in turn have passed it on to many others. Now I will share it with you.

Most nail technicians do not hold their abrasives correctly for the job they want to do. Most hold the abrasive with their thumb on the top and their fingers underneath and file that way for most jobs. We tend to change the grip for doing the sidewalls and shaping. But 90% of the jobs we do are done with the grip described above.

When I want to do a job and get it over with as quickly as possible (blending tips and removing product) with the minimum amount of effort and the maximum amount of efficiency, I hold it this way:

Grab hold of the abrasive as if you were shaking hands with it. Then extend only your index finger out and onto the abrasive. Then lifting your elbow and placing the abrasive onto the product (still holding it the same way) start to do your work with your finger over the area you are filing. This way the maximum pressure is under your finger where you want it to be and this in turn removes the product faster and gives you more control and reduces the chance of causing a burning sensation because there is no air trapped under the abrasive. Remember the girl guides ... air plus friction = fire (ouch!)

Holding the abrasive in the old way with thumb on the top, gives too light a pressure which takes too long, gives you less control so that it is easier to damage the natural nail, traps air between the abrasive and the product which in turn causes a heat sensation, and bends and kinks wrecks your abrasives.

5 good reasons for learning to hold your abrasive in a different way for those times when there is a 'job of work' to be done. Enjoy learning something 'new'.

Hi Geeg!
What grit is best for blending. I have been blending with 240 grit. I find it blends smoothly and evenly. I used to blend with 100 grit, but I found that it did more "scratching" than anything. Which grit for blending?

Hi Geeg & MG

I blend with a 240 but when im re-balancing i use 180.

Your right geeg it feels really strange holding a file like that but it works.! Where would we be with you..:biggrin:
Im hopping that will cut down filing time on re-balance.
Thanks again Geeg

Vicky xx

mgloverfam said:
Hi Geeg!
What grit is best for blending. I have been blending with 240 grit. I find it blends smoothly and evenly. I used to blend with 100 grit, but I found that it did more "scratching" than anything. Which grit for blending?
I use both the 180 and the 240 side of my abrasive when filing/ blending the well area of the tip or removing product( as in a rebalance or removing gel).

The 180 side for doing the bulk of the work, and the 240 side when I get closer to the natural nail and to smooth.

OMG when I started my training I naturally held the file like that (I've always been a bit odd) but was informed I was holding it incorrectly and had to change to the thumb on top method. I've finally got used to holding it like that and now have to change back to the other way LOLWell that's life I guess.

Thanks Geeg, i will try it that way! gonna paint my nail trainers nails red tonight and practise! just booked my conversion for 1st Nov so need to get quick and good at blending before that.....:o

BeachBabe said:
OMG when I started my training I naturally held the file like that (I've always been a bit odd) but was informed I was holding it incorrectly and had to change to the thumb on top method. I've finally got used to holding it like that and now have to change back to the other way LOLWell that's life I guess.
Let's just be very clear on this.

I only hold my file in the way described for doing certain jobs as described in the post. NOT for all jobs. For some jobs it is not appropriate to hold in the way described.

Sometimes I hold another way for more delicate jobs or when I need to maneuver and be more fluid in my movements. For other things I hold it differently again.

It is not a case of being right or wrong but being appropriate for the job you are doing so that you do it more efficiently. I HATE FILING. I do it as little as possible and as efficiently as possible, and for removing 'bulk' the way described is very efficient and has many other positive reasons for doing it too.

what a picture I am making lol! furrowed brows, shaking my file's hand and then putting my finger on my abrasive ....... and then I put it underneath so my thumb is still on top ... and my finger is covering the grit so I can't file at al!!!

Okay done it again! thumb is now on side of file, finger is on top of abrasive and now I feel really cack handed!! But I'll give it a try on my next client that needs a tip.
Thanks Gigi, was going to say, see you can teach on old dog new tricks, but I guess I'd prefer old habits die hard lol!

Sassy Hassy said:
what a picture I am making lol! furrowed brows, shaking my file's hand and then putting my finger on my abrasive ....... and then I put it underneath so my thumb is still on top ... and my finger is covering the grit so I can't file at al!!!

Okay done it again! thumb is now on side of file, finger is on top of abrasive and now I feel really cack handed!! But I'll give it a try on my next client that needs a tip.
Thanks Gigi, was going to say, see you can teach on old dog new tricks, but I guess I'd prefer old habits die hard lol!
Oh Sarah, i can just picture you with your head down trying to get to grips with this!!! ;) Bless you!!

Geeg,
It must be a teacher thing, you described how I teach to my students also. It shouldn't take more than 10 to 20 seconds to blend a tip if this technique is used, and filing is usually what takes the most time, so if you can master this technique you can "file" a significant amount of time off your service, and to me time is money. (I like my car, my house, and new clothes...I'll admit I like to shop) So the less time it takes to do a service, whether it be a re-balance or a new set, the more clients I can get in.

Client's also recognize the time you save them, and rely on our expertise to provide them with the best quality service ever. It's a real benefit to our industry to have outlets and forums like this to continue our learning and share techniques.

Believe me it does feel weird at first when you have never done it before, but keep trying and using the technique ... before long, you will wonder how you ever blended a tip any other way.

By the way, don't be thinking you cannot hold the abrasive any other way when blending .. it's all a combination of different grips for different things. One for the hard work, one for the more delicate work or tricky places another for the sides etc.

geeg said:
Believe me it does feel weird at first when you have never done it before, but keep trying and using the technique ... before long, you will wonder how you ever blended a tip any other way.

By the way, don't be thinking you cannot hold the abrasive any other way when blending .. it's all a combination of different grips for different things. One for the hard work, one for the more delicate work or tricky places another for the sides etc.
I had to blend a tip on myself tonight (due to my tip cracking problem!! :rolleyes: ) so I had a go at holding the abrasive in Geeg's suggested way and it worked a treat! No problem at all and it was with my "wrong" hand - if you know what i mean ;)

Is there a correct way to blend? ... ie filing from tip to nail (front to back) or across ways ... also what are the benefits to blending? As said already NSI teach that you dont need to blend their tips ... I am not badmouthing any company here just trying to establish why ... is it a difference in tips or finished look. I just want to be able to do the best set of nails i can and if there are things I am not doing now that would help me achieve that then I want to know! lol :)

Jo xx

Geek I'm going to be a real pest, but you would'nt have a pic of this technique? I know you explained real well, but I keep wondering whether I'm doing it right or if I missed something....

I love reading your advice because I learn a lot....so thanks for all the time you dedicate for us....

Yollie

when i did my course at leeds debbie who taught us gave us a black velvet nail file to blend the tips, we used the thick file first to debulk the tips then the black velvet to finish they are great i still use these the tips just melt away!

kat xxx

Hello,

äääh... can someone put a photo in here??
I do not know, if I have understood all the steps and would like to see the correct way of holding the file..... :confused:

That's agreat technique Geeg, very simple, (once you've sussed it) to do and get the bulk of the fileing done before you do the more delicate part, thanks for that Geeg.:D

How much pressure do you use when blending/filing? I've heard conflicting advice, one says pressing lightly is more effective, one says press harder. Personally I'm firm but not cruel. I think you'd damage the nail if you press too hard, must at least make them sore.

Also, Geeg, what do you think of the method of holding a file where you put your first & middle finger at each side at one end, then put your thumb on top at the other end?

I was taught to hold the file with my thumb on top of the file (at the end) and never the first finger otherwise it applies too much pressure, this is when blending as well as rebalancing.
is this not the correct way then or do different systems vary?

I don't mean to sound daft, just curious.

Im curious about that too teena, i was watching my essential home learn video and gina shows that method for tip blending, i did try it out and it did seem to blend the tips quite quickly but i did feel a bit cak-handed doing it!

Also, does it really matter if you blend a bit too much? i dont mean through to the nail plate, but a couple of times my tips went really thin. As you said that they are just scaffolding, i wondered if this was a problem or if i could just proceed with whatever system is overlaying them?

Latest posts

Back