Filing Hard Skin in Pedicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMB

Reaction score
I need your answers to this! I soak feet THEN file away hard skin, then exfoliate and saok. I have heard other therapists saying you should file hard skin first before the skin gets wet?? ALSO I have heard that filing in 2 directions (hard skin, not nails) will cause the skin to grow back harder - is this true? should we only file hard skin in one direction??

I need your answers to this! I soak feet THEN file away hard skin, then exfoliate and saok. I have heard other therapists saying you should file hard skin first before the skin gets wet?? ALSO I have heard that filing in 2 directions (hard skin, not nails) will cause the skin to grow back harder - is this true? should we only file hard skin in one direction??

Firstly a lot of people have different views on filing the hard skin.

I personally do file hard skin,I know clients that have stopped going to salons for pedicures because they dont do hard skin removal.I use a lovely pumice like contraption which is by OPI and is the best one I have ever used.They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for.Sally's sell them.

Granted prevention is better than cure.I always advise my clients to moisturise daily so as to not allow the hard skin to build up in the first place.

However if I have a client with hard skin I remove it.I always do it after I have sanitised the feet but prior to soaking the feet.If I did it the other way round the skin goes soft and it's not easy to remove.

The direction in which you do this dosn't matter..It's dead skin,you cant hurt it by going in different directions.HTH

dunno about direction, but personally on me I file away hard skin when it has softened after a bath or something cos I find it easier for me.
I will be looking forward to reading the replies and learning a better way of doing it if there is one. xx

dunno about direction, but personally on me I file away hard skin when it has softened after a bath or something cos its easier.
I will be looking forward to reading the replies and learning a better way of doing it if there is one. xx
I'm surprised you think it's easier,you should try doing it when the skins dry,have a go and see what you reckon.

I find if you do it on wet skin the skin just goes all mushy and nothing comes off with the pumice,whereas if you do it dry it's all nice and flakey:eek:

I'm surprised you think it's easier,you should try doing it when the skins dry,have a go and see what you reckon.

I find if you do it on wet skin the skin just goes all mushy and nothing comes off with the pumice,whereas if you do it dry it's all nice and flakey:eek:

LOL I wouldnt say 'nice' PMSL!!

Yeah maybe i'll try. I just have to press harder I find.. xxx:hug:

LOL I wouldnt say 'nice' PMSL!!

Yeah maybe i'll try. I just have to press harder I find.. xxx:hug:
LOL,well alright then you win,not really nice but easier.:)

I find using a foot file while the feet are dry is so much more effective than when the feet are wet. Also Creative's Sea Serum is a magical product for getting tootsies into shape.

I also sanitise the foot file, wrap in clingfilm and give it to the client for home maintenance.

Chris, What foot files do you use? And where do you get them?

Chris, What foot files do you use? And where do you get them?
I got fab ones, pink or blue, from Batten Edwards at a really cost-effective price. They are really effective and a good shape cause they are angled to make it easy for the client to reach their ankles (if they are not as agile as the rest of us LOL!) xx

Thanks for that! I'll check them out!

I dont do pedicure`s yet but for my own feet i use something that look`s like a small cheese grater, i use this after soaking my feet it gets all the dead skin off really quickly, arnt these used in salons to do pedicures ?

I find using a foot file while the feet are dry is so much more effective than when the feet are wet.

So at what point during the pedicure would you file then Chris? xx

I use 3 types of files in a pedicure, firstly after soaking i use a small device with a blade in it (dont know what they are called) these are sold in A+F and Sally's and are great to retail!! then i use the grater file and then the pumice. This works alot better for me and i get alot more skin off with minimal effot. I never take hard skin off without soaking them first as i find it easier. Then i use Cucumber Heel therapy. Hope this helps

I use 3 types of files in a pedicure, firstly after soaking i use a small device with a blade in it (dont know what they are called) these are sold in A+F and Sally's and are great to retail!! then i use the grater file and then the pumice. This works alot better for me and i get alot more skin off with minimal effot. I never take hard skin off without soaking them first as i find it easier. Then i use Cucumber Heel therapy. Hope this helps

I am surprised you use a blade during your pedi's.

Are you covered in your insurance to use blades during a pedi?I have never used one,I dont like them and personally feel they should only be used by a podiatrist.

I have heard some real horror stories with these things,only a short while ago I put a thread on here about a lady receiving a terrible cut with one.

I was tought in my training to file after the foot has been soaked and checked for contra-indications.....

I was tought in my training to file after the foot has been soaked and checked for contra-indications.....

You can check for contra indications when you have sanitised the foot using an anti bacterial spray.

I sanitise,check feet,hard skin removal,soak feet,apply cuticle remover,cut/file nails,cuticle work,massage,squeak nails,polish,dry.Finished.

The blade is only very small and unless you are really uncareful with it you will cut someone- you would only use this is someone has severly thick skin!! so you dont really have a chance to cut them if you are careful. If you tried one you wouldnt turn back as you save so much time and clients love them!! Yes insurance is covered.

I use my Callus Smoother in a circular motion as opposed to one direction, I do this after exfoliating and before applying the foot mask.
Using Sea Serum (cnd) helps tremendously as it softens the hardened skin and makes the job even easier.

You can check for contra indications when you have sanitised the foot using an anti bacterial spray.
we never got tought that....i got tought to soak the feet then check for contra indication if everythinks ok then proceed with pedicure....

The blade is only very small and unless you are really uncareful with it you will cut someone- you would only use this is someone has severly thick skin!! so you dont really have a chance to cut them if you are careful. If you tried one you wouldnt turn back as you save so much time and clients love them!! Yes insurance is covered.

I have in the past used the type of blades you are describing on myself and found them very easy to cut myself with:eek: so stopped using them incase I ended up with an infection and I would never even think of using one on a client.
I was always told that we should never use Credo blades when doing a pedicure. If the feet are that bad then IMO they should be seeing a chiropodist not just having a pedicure. Chiropodists are trained to use Credo blades and I for one have never been taught to use these on pedicure courses, in fact I was advised against using them on a recent course I did. I am surprised that your insurance cover you for this type of treatment:eek:.

Latest posts

Back